Tucson, AZ Jan. 24th - Range Day (Tenative)

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

What Day?

23rd?
11%
24th?
22%
25th?
11%
Any day works for me
22%
None of these work for me
22%
I like puppies (give suggestion of date)
11%

Total votes: 9

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Tucson, AZ Jan. 24th - Range Day (Tenative)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:57 pm

Date: Jan 24th (I just picked a Day, wanna change it? Let's discuss)

Time: 1000 am (Once again, random time)

Location: TBD (I haven't shot in Tucson with the exception of the base range ((really don't think you guys wanna shoot there :P )) so we need to figure out where.

Price: Range Fee and Supply your own ammo (and bring some for anyone else's firearm you wish to use)

Activities: Possibly the December and January ZS Postal Match shoots, otherwise just a day of punching paper, possibly followed by a late lunch/dinner.

Firearms List: If you would like to open up whatever weapons your bringing to the rest of the group please say the make, model and caliber (so people can bring ammo)

Sckitzo/Hell Puppi
Beretta 90-Two .40S&W
Ruger SP101 .38/.357 Magnum
Ruger Mk III .22 Cal
Ruger 10/22 .22 Cal
Remington 870 12G
Remington 700 .223

ToddGray
Sig P239 .40S&W
H&K P2000 .40S&W
Walther P22 .22LR (MUST be CCI MiniMag or stonger CCI)
HP 995 9mm

Attendees:
Sckitzo
Hell Puppi
Y.T & Boy (Maybe, depending on work)
ToddGray (Possible +1)
Last edited by Sckitzo on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fungusmunkey

Re: Tucson, AZ Jan. 24th - Range Day (Tenative)

Post by fungusmunkey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 pm

For ranges:

There is the range out at Three points which is about an hour drive. There is the range in Catalina which is kind of a drive, and the range out by the fair grounds.

There is also Redington pass which has areas that are for shooting but it isn't an official range with benches and such.
Those are the ones I am aware of.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:25 pm

re: date...
I just got slammed with about double/triple my workload, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it that weekend. Or if I'll be in any shape to shoot if I'm available. (I learned from the last time I went shooting that going when I'm tired and spent is just a waste of time and ammo. My hands shake too much and my eyes are too fatigued to remain focused.) But I'll mark it down and if I can't go my guy and a friend or two I've told about ZS may want to. :)

re: time...
please tell me that's 10am and not some crazy military conversion for 1am or something. ;)

re: location...
The place I've gone shooting is free, about a 20 minute drive from the U area. It's kind of a middle-of-nowhere wasteland that people just show up to for shooting or 4-wheeling. Some people have brought out old appliances and furniture to shoot up, then left them there for others. (eta: IOW, "reactive targets". We've brought out old TVs, fire extinguishers, hair spray cans, stuffed toys). Pretty empty when I've gone before so you're not likely to be bothered. It's not a fancy structured range, but you would have the freedom to set things up as you'd like and relax. If people bring some wood stakes you could probably staple the paper targets to those.

fyi... because it's outside and kinda open public land there are no bathroom facilities. It's also a somewhat long drive to any nearby businesses that might have a public restroom. If you're female (or bringing one) be sure to bring a potty bag if you go to this location -- wet wipes, hand sanitizer, tissues/TP, garbage baggie. The bushes are kinda sparse and sometimes it's hard to find a sheltered unoccupied dune, so I recommend a pee funnel.

also, bring water and food.

re: firearms...
We don't own any firearms, but if anyone is willing to share and provide some info about use, I'm happy to bring our own ammo.
Last edited by Y.T. on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm game... and I'll see if we can include the wife this time.

My list of guns I'll bring (IE the ones I got at a dealer):
Sig P239 .40S&W
H&K P2000 .40S&W
Walther P22 .22LR (MUST be CCI MiniMag or stonger CCI)
HP 995 9mm (it's been finicky ever since I put a custom trigger on it though)
and... if you absolutely want me to, I can bring the Hi-Crap C9 9mm

I can ask my bro-in-law if I can borrow his Mini-14 .223 but I won't guarantee that it will come.

There are a few that I will not list here but they are all legal-non-auto weapons (nothing special) that I can aquire for a shoot. PM me and I'll tell you the calibers and whether or not I can bring them. Also, I can donate >500 rnds 22LR that won't cycle the P22 for those of you who would like to shoot a Ruger MkI(II)(III) or a 10/22 that someone else brought.

I also have a reactive target I can bring for handguns up to .45 (not .44 mag though) if we choose to use an outdoor range/"secret shooting spot;" its one of those spinny metal targets. I will also bring Shoot-n-C's so we can all see who cant shoot and who's a show-off.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Whats wrong Y.T. don't wanna do a night fire? :P got you and the boy down as a possible

Yup 10 am, and FYI 0100 is 1am 1300 is 1pm

ToddGray, got you and the old lady down, we have the Mk II and 10/22 were bringing so if you want to donate that brick to group use I'll prolly toss in another 500 brick for people to use.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Ohh

and completely off topics (well not totally) heading down to Phx in a few and most likely gonna be shooting at Ben Avery on Wed or Thurs, if anyone wants to show up PM me and Ill give ya my cell #. The wife and inlaws are going but more the merrier ya know?

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Oh, on the topic of non-pay desert "ranges;" Sckitzo, could you get your hand on some police tape we can use for a firing line, if necessary?

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Hmm, maybe Ill see what I can do.

Donnchaid

Post by Donnchaid » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:03 pm

Sounds like fun. Not sure what I will bring but these are available if anyone has a request.
M1 (30-06)
M4gery (.223)
Side folder wasr (AK) (7.62 x 39)
Mini 14(.223)
91/30(7.62x 54r)
M44(7.62x 54r)
Sub2k(9mm)
10-22 (22)

92 fs(9mm)
XD40
Pf9 (9mm)
Plr 16 and 22(.223) (22)
P14(.45acp)

fungusmunkey

Post by fungusmunkey » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Y.T. wrote:re: date...

The place I've gone shooting is free, about a 20 minute drive from the U area. It's kind of a middle-of-nowhere wasteland that people just show up to for shooting or 4-wheeling. Some people have brought out old appliances and furniture to shoot up, then left them there for others. (eta: IOW, "reactive targets". We've brought out old TVs, fire extinguishers, hair spray cans, stuffed toys). Pretty empty when I've gone before so you're not likely to be bothered. It's not a fancy structured range, but you would have the freedom to set things up as you'd like and relax. If people bring some wood stakes you could probably staple the paper targets to those.
That would probably be Redington pass.

There are three or four designated shooting areas with two having at least 100yards available and the other areas are shorter distances.

To get there just head East from Tucson and get over to Tanque Verde Rd and continue East. It turns into Redington road, and then the pavement ends and you just keep heading east. The first spot is on the left a few miles in. I do not remember the exact mileage though.

The road is a dirt road that can be rough depending on the weather but is quite passable with a regular car at slower speeds.

I have been there on weekends before where all of the shooting areas are full up with people so someone might need to get there kind of early to reserve one of the spots if a lot of people are likely to attend. I would volunteer to head out there earlyish and reserve it but I will likely be busy that weekend.

goibhniu
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:21 pm

If we can do a date other than the 24th I am all down for it!

I can bring my puny arsenal.

Current calibers are: .30-06,.22, and 12g.

soon to be added: .40SW

EDIT As a sweet (IMHO) Aside I am now KE7ZGU ::YaY FCC finally made me legal ;)::
"An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris."

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:48 am

For those that the 24th doesn't work...

What works for you guys? I just picked a weekend thinking it would be best for people but really any day from that monday-sunday I can work with.

Once I go back to work its gonna be hard for me as I work 10pm-8am 4 days then get 3 or 4 days off, ya, funny schedule.

So lets find out what works and get a consesus on a location, I'm taking y'all's word on the good spots as I've never been to any of em.

cellardoor

Post by cellardoor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 pm

fungusmunkey wrote:
Y.T. wrote:re: date...

That would probably be Redington pass.

There are three or four designated shooting areas with two having at least 100yards available and the other areas are shorter distances.

To get there just head East from Tucson and get over to Tanque Verde Rd and continue East. It turns into Redington road, and then the pavement ends and you just keep heading east. The first spot is on the left a few miles in. I do not remember the exact mileage though.

The road is a dirt road that can be rough depending on the weather but is quite passable with a regular car at slower speeds.

I have been there on weekends before where all of the shooting areas are full up with people so someone might need to get there kind of early to reserve one of the spots if a lot of people are likely to attend. I would volunteer to head out there earlyish and reserve it but I will likely be busy that weekend.

No, where she's talking about is on the Southwest side. I'm pretty sure, anyway. It's quite a bit less populated than Redington, or at least it was when I was there.

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:47 am

cellardoor wrote:

No, where she's talking about is on the Southwest side. I'm pretty sure, anyway. It's quite a bit less populated than Redington, or at least it was when I was there.

Living on the southwest side I have no knowledge of this gem. And as far as shooting up old shit I hope you all are taking all the bits back out with you ? (pointing at Y.T.)

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:57 am

there aren't any designated shooting areas and it's been pretty empty when I've gone. I'll have to get the exact location from a friend as I don't remember the details.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

datamaggot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Office Space

Post by datamaggot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 pm

24th Works for me.

Southeast Regional Park is the range near the fairgrounds. It's a nice facility, that accommodates pistol shooting, and rifle shooting out to 200 yards.
$6 per day.
Open 8AM - 5PM

18 positions 5-50 Yds
12 positions 100,200

I'm actually planning to sight in a rifle that day, so the 50 yard line will be where I'll be. =)

They have pretty cool target cardboard backed stands there, so you just need to show up with tape & targets. They also sell targets if you don't have any.

DryGrain

Post by DryGrain » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:25 pm

My girlfriend, a buddy, and I will be arriving in Tucson on the 23rd or 24th for work, and be there until the second week of February. I don't want to drive 700 miles and cross a state line with my firearms, but I'm happy to bring ammo.

I'm driving down, leaving on the 22nd, so if you guys stick with the 24th I will drive fast :D
Gerry Agnosia wrote:Zombie Squad: A lot of us are losers. Shut up.
Valarius wrote:War is Peace. Ignorance is Strength. Cake is Pie.
SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

datamaggot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Office Space

Post by datamaggot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 pm

DryGrain wrote:I'm driving down, leaving on the 22nd, so if you guys stick with the 24th I will drive fast :D
Seeing that you are from California, you aren't allowed to own anything cool to bring along anyhow. ;-P

edit: there aren't any laws restricting you from bring a firearm from CA to AZ.

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 am

I want to put up the idea of say the 25th of january. I will be finishing my CERT classes all day on the 24th.

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:25 pm

For those that the 24th works for, can you do the 25th?

I'm fine with it myself, hmm, wonder if I can add a poll for to see what day....

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:17 pm

I just found out today that I will be working on the 25th (I previously thought/was told I would have most weekends off for a little while). In lieu of that, I voted for the 24th.

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:10 pm

BUMP... cause it seemed like a good use for my 500th post!

Gun_Nut_2k1

Re: Tucson, AZ Jan. 24th - Range Day (Tentative)

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Anytime, anywhere. Might be easier if you tell me what ammo you have and I'll bring some guns. :twisted: Otherwise I'll just bring the badder mofos.
Last edited by Gun_Nut_2k1 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

ToddGray

Re: Tucson, AZ Jan. 24th - Range Day (Tentative)

Post by ToddGray » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Anytime, anywhere. Might be easier if you tell me what ammo you have and I'll bring the guns. :twisted: Otherwise I'll just bring to badder mofos.
Yeah but you can easily cheat at the "I have more guns than you" game :lol: :wink:

Return to “Meeting room”