NNY09WCT ---> 2/13/09 - 2/15/09

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

NNY09WCT ---> 2/13/09 - 2/15/09

Post by Jamie » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:16 am

Webpage with information about the trip!

We'll be going out again this winter to test ourselves (and our gear) against the Adirondack winter weather...and you're invited to come and join us...we're hoping to break the -20 barrier this time... :twisted:

February 13th through the 15th, at or near the location on this google map

Some pictures and commentary from last year's trip in my blog

Here's the ZS thread on last year's trip

The location is still up in the air a bit, it depends on the amount of snow that we get and access to various spots based on that...some people that attended last year have lobbied for a site away from the pond...

I just wanted to make this initial post to get people thinking about it, and to allow people to mark their calendar...

Important Note to the Whipped: when talking to your SO, you should mention the trip as happening over Presidents' Day weekend, not Valentine's Day :wink:
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Re: NNY09WCT ---> 2/13/09 - 2/15/09

Post by Famine » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm

I am in.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

Famine

Post by Famine » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:58 pm

P.S. I have dibs on Jamie being my Taun-Tuan if it gets too cold.

Kevin
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Consider this my RSVP. I'll bring my own warmth too in the form of a good woman and some good whiskey. I hope the room service is better this year, though. My TV was full of static last time... :mrgreen:
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Arcknitect
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: evil dead, resident evil 1

Post by Arcknitect » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm in :D Got my spot in the "hotel" all set.
"My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular." -Adlai E. Stevenson

Winter Queen - NNYWCT Alum 09,10,11,12

Deschain
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead, Fido

Post by Deschain » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Gorramit, I'm coming if I have to fly down.

Bring the paaaaaaaain, Jamie!

Deschain
Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.- Cort

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:14 pm

In.

And I like the pond :lol:
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

manycolored

Post by manycolored » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm in!

Boyfriend does not need to be begged, bribed, or convinced, since he is the one who routinely brings his laptop to bed in order to "window shop" for gear while we cuddle.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:32 pm

manycolored wrote:I'm in!

Boyfriend does not need to be begged, bribed, or convinced, since he is the one who routinely brings his laptop to bed in order to "window shop" for gear while we cuddle.
Wow, that didn't take long. Glad you got my email, and remember to bring your warm clothes. All of them :p
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm tentatively in provided I find some decent winter boots. If anyone sees a deal let me know.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:13 pm

Bster13 wrote:I'm tentatively in provided I find some decent winter boots. If anyone sees a deal let me know.
Ask and ye shall receive!
2000 gram thinsulate boots - $69.97
The guide has a bunch of deals on winter/hunting footwear.

Then again, I think NFA found a great Walmart special that he wore last year and praised highly... what was it, $20 for the pair?
~Winston Churchill

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 pm

yeah I was wondering what NFA had...perhaps a picture or brand name?

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:58 pm

So which would u rather have?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=219334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=366848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lord Osis

Post by Lord Osis » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 am

seriously tempting, although at that time I will likely be travelling north to that BOL
James Kim helped me prepare.

Famine

Post by Famine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:57 am

Dude, lord osis, you have to come feel the pain with us!

Kevin

Deschain

Post by Deschain » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:11 am

Yeah, come on. it'll be great. We'll be all hardcore, and make fun of the less hardcore!
Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.- Cort

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

KingChristianOne
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead...

Post by KingChristianOne » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:53 pm

I want to come, but school on Saturday prevents me from leaving until that afternoon, and with no vehicle at the moment...

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 pm

I guess if I had a choice between spending more on less insulation, or spending less on more insulation, I'd spend less on more insulation. Especially for THIS trip :twisted: Of those two I'd get the 219334 (me, I like laces, tho). The other ones have a cool looking sole, but I'm sure either one will be ok for mucking about a campsite. Just be advised those puppies are pretty heavy, and will be useless in temps much over 0. Truthfully either one should be ok, especially if you leave room for some nice heavy wool socks...

Bster13 wrote:So which would u rather have?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=219334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=366848" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:10 pm

If anyone is in the NYC->Adirondack corridor (I-87), I could provide a ride. One seat is reserved, there's 1 spare.
~Winston Churchill

Deschain

Post by Deschain » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Hey, if I fly in, do you think I can hitch a ride?

Deschain

-General Mattis

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:37 pm

Deschain wrote:Hey, if I fly in, do you think I can hitch a ride?

Deschain
I think that can be arranged. I'll PM you later to work out the details.
-D
~Winston Churchill

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:42 am

Some notes on gearing up. Those of us who did this trip last year definitely learned some lessons. I'd be surprised if there aren't other posts about this or that subject- I learned about cold weather cooking, digital cameras, layering strategies, all kinds of stuff. The idea is, those who are coming along but haven't done winter camping (or Adirondack winter camping) can be better prepared based on our experience.

Today I feel like chatting about sleeping gear- sleeping bags and accessories. I'm not the guru of this, others will have much to add if they choose to, but these are my thoughts and experiences.

Some people considering this trip might not currently own a sleep system appropriate for the temperatures we are likely to encounter. When selecting a sleeping bag, a general rule-of-thumb I like to use is, "Choose a bag with a comfort rating 10 degrees colder than the actual temperatures you are likely to experience." For this trip, our experience last year indicates this means a -30F bag. Sorry Bryce

Some testing I did last night bears out the "10 degrees colder" rule of thumb. I decided to test my Eureka Casper +15F mummy bag. The forecast looked encouraging so I set up to sleep in the pool house. I had a pretty good mattress pad working for me and there's no wind in the pool house. To mimic what I do in the field, I wore one layer of polypros, and a pair of socks to bed. I felt nice and warm when I went to sleep- I woke up later on however starting to chill a bit. The digital thermometer I had along read 22F and change. So I got up and was surprised to learn I had slept until after 5am (not too bad for a guy who wakes up at 4 all week long). Still, it seemed like when the temps dipped below that 10 degree threshold, my body slowly started chilling down- I wasn't dying or even shivering, just not 100% comfortable. Based on this test I'm assuming I could live through a night at +15F in this bag, given decent shelter- but I hope I don't have to because it wouldn't be fun. I don't know about you, but I want to not just survive the night, but be comfortable and get a decent night's sleep.

"But Festus, what if the temperature dips below -20F and I'm stuck in my -30 bag?" "What if I have a ton of camping gear but nothing rated to -30F and I don't want to spend the $$ on one?" Well, this is where being prepared comes in handy. If you have a larger rectangle bag, you can slip a mummy or rectangle bag inside it to create a layering system. If your sleeping bag is large enough, you can add a blanket or fleece bag inside it (I tried the fleece bag liner thing once and hated it, YMMV). You could try covering the outside of your sleeping bag with a wool blanket or bivy bag to extend the comfort rating. Don't wear too much clothing inside the bag if you can help it. It will restrict your circulation, and defeat the purpose of your sleeping bag. DO wear a hat- I wear a balaclava as I tend to remove a watch cap-type hat in my sleep.

If layering fails, the only option left is to add heat. Some folks will boil some water and turn a Nalgene into a hot water bottle. I like the chemical heat pad option- you can either toss a handful of the pocket-size ones in the bag, or get larger ones like these. They give off heat longer than I'm likely to sleep. Although I have a -30 bag (which I bought AFTER our 2008 trip) I'll be prepared with enough chemical heat packs to warm up my sleeping bag and share if someone else needs them.

A quick note about sleeping pads. Two is one, one is none, right? What I've learned to like is, a cheap closed-cell foam pad under a self-inflating mattress. This creates an insulating "sandwich", doesn't take up a ton of room, and if the self-inflating pad gets brittle in the cold or otherwise fails, at least you have SOMETHING. Here is the self-inflater I'm using these days, it was cheaper than the cheap blue closed-cell pad from Wal-mart! Linky

For the 2008 trip, I overestimated the rating of the sleeping gear I had- a 30 bag layered with a 45 bag probably would have been ok for close to 10F but failed miserably when we got down to -17. Yes I lived but I shivered more than I slept- and had a fear of falling asleep and going hypothermic without waking up. The night of -17 was a long night. I had no backup plan- no chemical heat packs, no blankets, nothing but clothing layers which may have kept me alive but definitely didn't help me sleep comfortably. I was an unprepared ass- don't be that.

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:38 am

Great post Rick. I'll be sure to run my gear list by you b4 I venture North. :)

Bster13

Post by Bster13 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Was good seeing you and the pup today Rick....talking about layers, I took an initial stock and at some point (when I was much smarter apparently) I bought light, medium, and heavy duty long underwear bottoms....hopefully that covers my legs pretty good along with the guidegear snow pants. :D

Return to “Meeting room”