VIRGINIA '14 "Dock"-A-geddon AAR

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Murph

Re: VIRGINIA Spring-a-geddon 3-14-2014

Post by Murph » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Found the place I was talking about as a possible hiking trip.
http://www.hikingupward.com/OVH/SkyMeadows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

mattdcknsn

Post by mattdcknsn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:42 pm

Hey, it was great seeing everybody again, it was way too long. I'll work on getting the videos I took and getting everybody the links. Some of the take aways I had from the camp out:

1) Mayday Apple Cinnamon 1200 calorie bar is not too bad (but not too good). Just have to figure out how to incorporate it into a larger meal set.
2) Chainsaw hand saws work really well as a two man team to cut logs up.
3) 2 out of 3 hammock sleepers can survive a 28 degree night. (although to note, the 3rd hammock guy was doing an experiment we talked about. So I am assuming it did not turn out well.
4) Mrs Maxrites cheeseburgers are REALLY good. Why do I even bring mayday bars to these things?

Magnum, can you get me the name of that guy who made the custom moccasins for you?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Magnum
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, day of the dead, night of the living dead

Post by Magnum » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:52 pm

mattdcknsn wrote:Hey, it was great seeing everybody again, it was way too long. I'll work on getting the videos I took and getting everybody the links. Some of the take aways I had from the camp out:

1) Mayday Apple Cinnamon 1200 calorie bar is not too bad (but not too good). Just have to figure out how to incorporate it into a larger meal set.
2) Chainsaw hand saws work really well as a two man team to cut logs up.
3) 2 out of 3 hammock sleepers can survive a 28 degree night. (although to note, the 3rd hammock guy was doing an experiment we talked about. So I am assuming it did not turn out well.
4) Mrs Maxrites cheeseburgers are REALLY good. Why do I even bring mayday bars to these things?

Magnum, can you get me the name of that guy who made the custom moccasins for you?
The company is sodhoppers. http://www.sodhoppers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Katie has the stealth trackers... Her picture is on the website under customer gallery

mattdcknsn

Post by mattdcknsn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 pm

Great, thanks!

Also, I forgot one other thing, The Goal Zero Nomad was able to ad 30% charge to a turned off droid phone in about 4 hours. I set it up in the back of the truck and went shooting, I didn't monitor it to make sure it had optimal sun angle or anything.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

MaxRite

Post by MaxRite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:06 pm

This weather isn't normal. :?
Image Image

mattdcknsn

Post by mattdcknsn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 am

MaxRite wrote:This weather isn't normal. :?
Agreed. At least it hit today and not yesterday. :shock: :gonk:

Magnum
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, day of the dead, night of the living dead

Post by Magnum » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Oh make sure you mention me if you get a pair of the boots - we are planking on ordering a pair for me and another for Katie so I'm hoping to get a discount if some of you guys buy from him

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Damnit I didn't check this forum and didn't hear about this one, we totally would have been there.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Damnit I didn't check this forum and didn't hear about this one, we totally would have been there.

I will try to remember to put you on the notify list when we have our next one !! Should be sometime in May if everything works out
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

stimpy321972

Re: VIRGINIA '14 "Dock"-A-geddon AAR

Post by stimpy321972 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:11 am

My .02 cents,

It was great seeing everyone again, it had been way too long. It is always good to see new faces; Wraith6761, nice meeting you, hope you enjoyed yourself and you should count yourself lucky that Murph didn't destroy your chair (this time!).

We survived gale force winds, exploding lighters, flying beer cans, zombie geese and a closet pyro-freak !!
We did actually work on some skills, Magnum thanks for the BOB show and tell

3 of us put up and stayed in hammocks throughout the weekend:

I was very comfortable the first night and the second night was fine until about 0500, when I think the wind chill dipped the temps into the low 20's to the high teens. I woke up a little chilly once but nothing to bad. I was wearing just civies and if I would have put on my thermals and a balaclava, I think it would have been very comfortable.

No pics but my setup was a double ENO hammock, a self-inflating mattress, car sun-shield and a fleece liner on the bottom and a sleeping bag upside down over top of me with my feet in the zipped up bottum. I will refine this setup with some kind of anchor system for all of it. That was the biggest headache, getting in to the hammock and displacing everything and then trying to re-adjust but by the second night I had it pretty much worked out.

That is all !
MaxRite wrote:
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

ahenry

Post by ahenry » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:47 am

Such a great time fore sure. Great to see everyone again. We need to get together more often!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

stimpy321972

Post by stimpy321972 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:42 am

MaxRite wrote:

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 am

Murph wrote:Found the place I was talking about as a possible hiking trip.
http://www.hikingupward.com/OVH/SkyMeadows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've hiked that multiple times, great hike. It seems like no one ever does the "old AT" portion of that hike, probably because it's just another walk in the woods compared to the vistas the current AT goes through.

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:04 pm

It was excellent to finally get out and meet you folks, nice to finally be able to put some faces with some handles. Thankfully, my chair survived being nearly blown into the fire AND Murph sitting in it, so it's definitely proven itself reliable. I definitely learned a few things over the weekend:
  • The Cove is a very, very, very windy place.

A 10x6 hex-cut tarp does not do well in high winds. In fact, it's completely outmatched.

Speaking of tarps, elastic cordage (like shock cord) is FAR better as a guyline than static line...shock cord lets the tarp blow in the wind, then tension back without pulling the stakes; static line will turn into a trebuchet and launch your stakes pretty far (found one of mine about 20 feet away from my setup).

Mainstay bars are edible, but you'll end up questioning if survival is worth the taste (though we never tried that "mainstay pudding" idea).

Goal 0 chargers do work.

Charlie horses suck. They suck far more while bundled up in a hammock.

With the proper application of heat, a sealed beer can becomes a fairly capable mortar.

Firebuilders should not leave the lighter IN the kindling pile...especially if it's full.

5 cases of beer is barely adequate for a ZS trip.

Geese suck. They suck more at 3 am.

Even preppers forget things...some forget small luxury items, like cameras or chairs. Others forget more important things, like water.
Overall, a very fun trip out, and I can't wait to go along for another.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

Magnum

Post by Magnum » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm

You know I picked up a case of water on my way in and forgot to ask of you guys needed it before I left

stimpy321972

Post by stimpy321972 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:52 am

MaxRite wrote:

whatgun

Post by whatgun » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 am

Hey guys,

Sorry I missed this! I hope to be a little more involved moving forward.

mattdcknsn

Post by mattdcknsn » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 pm

whatgun wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry I missed this! I hope to be a little more involved moving forward.
It's been a while. The next one is already planned,

http://www.zombiehunters.org//forum/vie ... 8&t=111773

Hope to see you there.

Return to “Meeting room”