Your ultimate zombie video game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

fiddilydee

Your ultimate zombie video game

Post by fiddilydee » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:55 pm

This is my first post, so Hello fellow Zombie obsessives. I'm asking this question in a few forums so I totally did just join to start this conversation. I have been learning game design for the last few months after a very extensive search for a zombie game that fits my specific criteria. First I made a board game prototype, but after a few plays I realized in order to work in everything I wanted to I was going to have to make it as a video game. I'm tried a couple different 2d engines and now I have a prototype that's starting to get pretty fun. Anyway I don't want to get to much into that, because I know what happens when you are perceived as bragging on the internet with nothing to show for it. At this point I have nothing to show for it, so I simply pose the following humble question.

What would you want in your ultimate zombie video game? What features would have to be in it?

Personally I like where games like DayZ and Project Zomboid are going, they are the closest to what I want for sure. My problem with DayZ is I don't like the mmo component, I would rather a computer driven story, as long as it is a good story. And my problem with Zomboid is my brain can't comprehend what I'm seeing, between the fog of war, the invisible walls and density of building interiors I find it too daunting, that and I don't like the zombie combat.

I think the zombie genre to be done right has to be approached with a counter-intuitive approach to game design. My ultimate game would have some RPG elements, leveling should be purely skill and strength based if any at all. I'd like to see a game where character progress is based on loss and gain, not just gain. Obviously food, water and sleep are important components as well as fortifying a base. I wonder what would be interesting, but realistic objectives once the you have built up enough stuff to survive a few days. If you were a few weeks into the zombie apocalypse and you had a nice little fort going what would you try to do next?

Anyway, that's enough from me for now, I want to know what you think. There clearly seams to be a huge hunger for this type of game right now, what are designers getting wrong now? and how would you do it instead? What do you think of my ideas? I'd like to see what we would come up with.

forthewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later (I dont care if you think it is or not.) Zombie Land, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead. Land of the Dead was ok but John L. was the only half decent actor.

Re: Your ultimate zombie video game

Post by forthewolf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Hello! stop by the introduction page and introduce yourself the right way :P

My dream zombie game would be like fall out, but a big emphasis on zombies, not just ghouls.

But I'm sure you're not talking on that scale. For one thing I hate about most zombie games that are simple (ie not console) are in the birds eye view. It takes so much out of the game in my opinion. So first or 3rd person would be a must.

I also don't like "monkey ball" type games, or at least thats how I refer to games like COD were you are basically put in the start of an area and need to find your way through. I like the sandbox type games, even Resident Evil where you were stuck in the mansion was fun because while it was a confined space, you were allowed to wander off and do your own thing.

I like the idea of needing to secure your safe place, maybe have a few safe houses available, but it needs to be secured and fortified before it can be used.
In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. -Tyler Durden

Deliver me from clever art, deliver me from Swedish furniture.-Tyler Durden

danielitis

Post by danielitis » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 am

Here are the 5 elements required to make the most successful zombie game

customizable and upgradable safe-house
no zombie game to date has touched on this feature. when watching zaombie movies, do we see the main character running around killing zombies and stealing cars? No, we see people held up in the closest shed or bar. it would be nice to be able to secure a location and be able to upgrade it with objects from the environment. the zombie apocolypse is about survival. not extermination of the zombie population. the safe-house should also be able to be torn down if not properly fortified or looked after. the better the materials used, the higher the durability of the safe house. wooden planks on windows wont hold long, look for that metal fence and weld it up. route electricity to safehouse? build water wells? food and medical aid supply? build walls? block doorways and windows? create and set traps? automated turrets? trenches? armed guards?

recruitable and upgradable army of followers/survivors
fighting zombies is fun, but just like in "I am Legend" it can get lonely. having the option to recruit a group of expendable/customizable and upgradable followers would add a new flavor to the zombie franchise that would be refreshing. although it is great taking on the world, it is much safer and less stressful with reliable companions. level up survivors through missions and zombie killing? set roles for survivors(medical, mechanic, security, protection)? find people in environment to recruit or kill? give survivors weapons and outfits?

open world
the only game to touch on this is dead island. it is important to have an open world in zombie games. survival should not be restricted to a small area or set path. the players want to control their own fate. they dont want to just go through the motions. the larger and more open the world, the better.

multiplayer
multiplayer is key to the zombie franchise. no one like to play alone anymore. There is nothing more exciting than having your buddy cover you while you loot some corpses. the more people allowed online the better. minecraft allowed 8 online. that would be awesome!

combat
combat can be touchy. you don't want to make it too easy to kill the hordes but you also don't want to make it impossible to survive. it would be nice to see more melee based zombie games. its great shooting zombies in the face but it should have a balance. dead island did a nice job but should offer less weapons laying around. make the players appreciate what they have in their hand. its the apocalypse not a zombie killing spree. weapons should be in short supply. train strength, agility, speed? all to make more effective in hand to hand combat? a Role Playing Game that allowed to allocate point to make survivor run faster to outrun zombies?

superduder
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie, the LD trilogy, return of the living dead pt I & II,The Battery

Post by superduder » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:29 pm

I like what I've seen in the first 2 replies, I would add...
Something like a Google Earth Program that would let you play in an actual map of any city in the world,
With totally realistic population numbers for the city.
Also I would like the "Anything is a weapon" option.
Like smash a Z with a wooden chair, it breaks but now you have up to 6 seperate wooden bludgeoning (sp) or stabbing weapons.
And as wide an array of firearms as possible, with realistic ballistic, and range capabilities.
(ex) no 350yd headshots with a Berretta 92, or RPGs that you can shoot the Z across the kitchen from you and walk away.
Chainsaws are okay but make them a bastard to start like a real chainsaw.
Duder
"I've stared Azreal in the face enough that we should be pretty good friends."

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:09 pm

superduder wrote:I like what I've seen in the first 2 replies, I would add...
Something like a Google Earth Program that would let you play in an actual map of any city in the world,
With totally realistic population numbers for the city.
Also I would like the "Anything is a weapon" option.
Like smash a Z with a wooden chair, it breaks but now you have up to 6 seperate wooden bludgeoning (sp) or stabbing weapons.
And as wide an array of firearms as possible, with realistic ballistic, and range capabilities.
(ex) no 350yd headshots with a Berretta 92, or RPGs that you can shoot the Z across the kitchen from you and walk away.
Chainsaws are okay but make them a bastard to start like a real chainsaw.
Duder
I'd pay a lot for a game like that.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:41 pm

The guys at double bear making Dead State have a pretty good game in the works. But something like Dead State but more with Jagged Alliance BIA combat and the like would be awesome.

Zombie309
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zombie309 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Das Sheep wrote:The guys at double bear making Dead State have a pretty good game in the works. But something like Dead State but more with Jagged Alliance BIA combat and the like would be awesome.
Looks very promising, shame it's so far away.
Check out my book, Zombies Across the Border, in the Fiction section and let me know what you think!

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”