Idea for Zombie airsoft theme game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Apocollapse
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 2004 version. Thought Diary of the Dead was pretty good too.

Idea for Zombie airsoft theme game

Post by Apocollapse » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:00 am

Here's an idea I had for a zombie themed airsoft scenario game:

CQB-ish game, starts out with more "zombies" than players. Zombies are players who have no weapon (of course) and tie a red scarf over their heads to identify themselves as zombies. So if there's ten people there, then at least six of them have to be zombies for the first game, then rotate so everyone gets at least one chance to play — or at least start out playing — as a survivor.

The idea here is the "zombies" run after the "survivors" and tag them (sorry, no biting), which "turns" that player into a zombie. The "turned" player then drops his/her weapon, ties on a red scarf, and begins playing as a zombie coming after the other survivors who haven't been turned yet.

Only a head shot takes out a zombie. So if one's running at you (or shambling, for you Romero puritans), you can only take him/her out with a head shot. If the zombie player gets within five feet of you, since airsoft rules generally forbid engagement inside five feet for safety reasons, you have to either turn and try to run or get turned. It would likely take about 15 minutes to an hour at most to get through a game before either everyone was turned or all the zombies are shot.

Certain rules: zombies can't show fear or cunning, they have to attack without fear of being shot and try to tag/turn the players who are playing as survivors. This would be exceptionally cool if like 20-40 people were playing, but I think it would be hard to scare up that amount of people.

I'm gonna try to put something like this together at Tacoma Tactical, like we could rent the place out and run zombie scenario games like this all day if enough people chip in with a registration fee.

Thoughts and opinions? And please don't give me the smackdown if this has already been discussed, I'm a noob (obviously) and don't have time to read every damn thread clear back to 2006 before I post. Sorry.
Like one that on a lonesome road doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned 'round walks on and turns no more his head,
Because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.

“The thing about smart motherfuckers is that sometimes, they sound like crazy motherfuckers to stupid motherfuckers.”
— from The Walking Dead

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Re: Idea for Zombie airsoft theme game

Post by Skull_Hide » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 am

Sounds like a cool game concept, just be sure to set a ammo limit, you don't want guys running around with 250+ rounds of full auto airsoft guns, no fun.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 am

It sounds fun, and I'd probably try it, if I had the people interested to go in with me.
My one concern from the description is face/head protection, esp for the zombies. What if everyone had a helmet with face protection hung on the back of their belt, and donned it when 'turned'? The helmeted folks would be zombies, harder to spot than a red handkerchief would be, and still be protected against serious injury from those slightly-over-five-feet head shots. Other than that, I like the idea!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Foxen

Post by Foxen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:12 am

Here's some ideas from one of our local Airsoft fields (one of which I think really lacks in safety, but nevertheless)...

For their NIGHT time zombie game... that was held in CQB buildings etc., they limited "survivors" only to pistols and shotguns. Partially I think it was for more flavor, but also it lent to safety as most pistols and shotgun Airsoft guns have lower FPS. For other game types that I've played, IF they were to run a zombie game, the survivors would be strictly limited to semi-auto fire (no auto), and/or be limited to lo-cap magazines. Again, this is a safety issue and it gives the zombies "some" chance...

For the zombie games, I probably would implement zombie respawn. When we ran "zombie nerf nite", the zombies respawned but the games were limited to 10-15 minutes... and they seriously got intense as kids were losing people left and right and learned that a hiding spot in one area doesn't work especially if your buddy gets gobbled up and comes back to haunt you. 10-15 minutes in a smaller space can get VERY intense... just be careful with the reffing as survivors may "shoot" zombies well before the zombies get to them but alas, the zombie players either didn't feel it or cheat...

As for the red bandana on the head thing... well, maybe something a bit less intrusive (tying a red scarf to one's head is kind of a pain especially if you have on a lot of head gear). Maybe no guns but red scarf/tape in hand... zombies also should not allowed to communicate via talking... maybe they can moan "braaaains..." but nothing more. If the event if really focused around zombies, maybe vests or a red shirt or something that the players can just "drape" over themselves...

As for survivors TURNED zombies... I highly doubt players would want to just LEAVE their guns on the field... I would guess players would much rather return to the staging area and leave their Airsoft guns there. I definitely wouldn't want to leave my gun lying around on the field... or in a place that isn't safe... and my gun is on the cheap end (around $300 after cmags, batteries, etc.)...imagine someone with a $500+ marker??? If you had enough refs etc. maybe a "dead tent" could be set up where zombies can drop off their firearms, pick up a red cloth thingy, and even respawn at those points.

As for a HEADSHOT only rule... this can get kinda brutal... as headshots are not always the easiest to pull off... especially with FAST SPRINTING ZOMBIES in a CQB setting with their forearms formed in an "X" in front of their faces... heck, if I were a zombie I'd do that, and form a train of zombies and RUSH in like crazy. There's also safety to consider. Unless ALL your players are required to wear PAINTBALL masks (or up to par safety combat sim equipment...???), I would highly again, recommend against this. Many Airsoft "safe" glasses or even mesh mask, or even the army of one mask... are NOT up to safety standards... nor are the military goggles which are specced for dust and mud and crap but not 20mg plastic pellets... Paintball masks are DESIGNED to resist impact...after impact, after maybe another impact even at close range... Personally, I would take out the headshot only rule for safety concerns, and that zombies running very fast in a CQB setting will EAT survivors ALIVE.

Also, depending what FPS ya'll play at (I hear Hawaii plays at very insane FPS limits which makes players here STUPID so we're probably VERY different than you continental folk), I would strongly recommend lower FPS if at all possible for these games... 300FPS would be nice. Getting full auto'd at 400fpsish in the hand at point blank does not feel good at all. Getting full auto'd in the FACE where some shots miss and hit my neck...pointblank...just thank God that never happened to me. Hence again why I am against full auto and head shots only...

Anyhow, these are just suggestions... I really would love to hear a report of how your games turn out. I honestly think, for the weekend warriors who are totally into zombies... that this would be a GREAT experience for them. If I could go, I would... but alas, I live half an ocean away. =(

Apocollapse
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 2004 version. Thought Diary of the Dead was pretty good too.

Post by Apocollapse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:39 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:My one concern from the description is face/head protection, esp for the zombies. What if everyone had a helmet with face protection hung on the back of their belt, and donned it when 'turned'?
I was thinking full-face paintball masks, but your idea is good too. I think in a game like this, everyone on the field of play would be wearing full-face paintball masks, that way they could just throw on the red scarf when they were "turned". I guess the red scarfs wouldn't be absolutely necessary, just thought red would kinda make a good signifier of "infection". But really this is the kind of thing that whatever group of people was playing it could make up their own way to do things.
Foxen wrote: As for survivors TURNED zombies... I highly doubt players would want to just LEAVE their guns on the field... I would guess players would much rather return to the staging area and leave their Airsoft guns there.
Good point.
Foxen wrote: As for a HEADSHOT only rule... this can get kinda brutal... as headshots are not always the easiest to pull off... especially with FAST SPRINTING ZOMBIES in a CQB setting
True but I think that level of difficulty would make it more fun, make for better training, and add realism .... as much realism as there is when you're talking zombies, anyway ... :D
Foxen wrote:
Like one that on a lonesome road doth walk in fear and dread,
And having once turned 'round walks on and turns no more his head,
Because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread.

“The thing about smart motherfuckers is that sometimes, they sound like crazy motherfuckers to stupid motherfuckers.”
— from The Walking Dead

PlayingSoldiers

Post by PlayingSoldiers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 am

Hi, I have a field tested set of rules that I can post if someone is interested.
We use the following for headshots: we only shoot to the legs or torso, only that 1 shot just slows the zombie down, and 3 shots equals a 'headshot' and sends the zombie to the respawn point...
Visit my blog http://playingsoldiers.blogspot.com for airsoft and outdoor gear reviews

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I've seen quite a few zombie airsoft games turn out really well in our local area, and they're a ton of fun. But I might advise against the actual headshots. I've been shot in the face quite a few times from varying distances and velocities, and I can testify that it hurts like a fothermucker. Even wearing a balaclava or shemagh doesn't do much. Full-face paintball masks might work, but they get very hot and all the ones I have tried fog up after a few minutes of fast walking.

An idea you might try is this: Get a bunch of the cheapo pie plates from the dollar store, they usually come in packages of 6 or so. Punch some holes in the rim and loop some string around that, and then have players hang the plates around their chests if they're zombies. You have to get two or three hits on the pie-plate to effectively kill the zombie. (adjust rules as you see fit here) Since the pie-plate is roughly the size of a human head, you still get that "challenge" factor that you might not with just simple center-mass shots. The non-zombie players can just carry some around until they get "bitten" Less pain, AND you get a nice distinctive 'ping' each time you hit the plate. That way, it's a lot harder for someone to cheat. (Which, believe me, is a huge problem with some of those games.) It doesn't hurt, either.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:27 pm

What my daughters boyfriend did.
No shooting in the head, they put a 1 gallon paint can lid on the back and chest of each zombie. The lid represented a kill shot (head shot).
When a zombie was killed he waited a certain length of time before becoming active again.

The object of the game was that they had 2 teams one was from Umbrella Corp.the other STARS.
The CEO of Umbrella Corp. was missing and each team was to search for the CEO find him and bring them back to the safe zone.
Zombies could not attack the CEO (but the CEO was suppose to hide/flee from zombies), and the CEO could not help the teams find him.
When a player was bitten by a zombie I am not sure if they sat the rest of the game out or had a time out period.
Zombies just touched their victims, no tackling or grabbing allowed
I can't remember if the 2 teams shot each other.
The field they used is an airsoft dedicated field with buildings, bushes etc,

Psypher
Favorite Zombie Movies: There are so many, so why not list them all!

Post by Psypher » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:46 am

Skull_Hide wrote:Sounds like a cool game concept, just be sure to set a ammo limit, you don't want guys running around with 250+ rounds of full auto airsoft guns, no fun.

Well I guess that eliminates my backpack-fed minigun idea.

Sounds like a fun concept.
Safety in numbers? Sure, my spotter says "send it" and we now have dinner for a few weeks. Thank goodness animals don't tend to roam alone.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:19 am

Psypher wrote:
Skull_Hide wrote:Sounds like a cool game concept, just be sure to set a ammo limit, you don't want guys running around with 250+ rounds of full auto airsoft guns, no fun.

For myself, I'd let them haul as much ammo as they wanted- but they also have to carry three days worth of food and water weight. I think, even with airsoft, that doing so would teach a lot of the furpiles types an awful lot more about how much ammo they can carry than all the internet arguments in the world. 3 days food and water, check- 3,000 rounds of ammo, check- what? what do you mean you can't move now? Some people only learn by doing.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

PlayingSoldiers

Post by PlayingSoldiers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 am

Psypher wrote:

Ha ha! In our games each human player starts with just a GBB pistol and 10 to 20 rounds in the magazine, depending on how many zombies there are. It is great fun to see your typical airsoft player enter a room and BUDDABUDDABUDDA kill all zombies, and then go clickety-click when the rest of them appear...

That "chicken-plate" system sounds like a good idea, only that those zombies would look like an army of Mister-T clones ;-)

Painful hits are no such a great concern if you take into account that you are shooting at unarmed, slow moving zombies, with very limited ammunition. This means that in most cases you should have enough time to aim at a safe part, and you must conserve your precious pellets therefore you won't be spraying blindly around.
Visit my blog http://playingsoldiers.blogspot.com for airsoft and outdoor gear reviews

Psypher
Favorite Zombie Movies: There are so many, so why not list them all!

Post by Psypher » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Hmmm.....just a wild thought here, but how about Chapter syndication on this!
Safety in numbers? Sure, my spotter says "send it" and we now have dinner for a few weeks. Thank goodness animals don't tend to roam alone.

OCR
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZOMBIE LAND, BLACK SHEEP, SHAWN OF THE DEAD

Post by OCR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 pm

You could always incorperate the rules of the "Humans vs Zombies" NERF game. I'm not going to list all the rules. You can find em online by using google and looking up Humans vs Zombies NERF.
What is LIFE you ask? Well LIFE is that thing that takes a BIG FAT DUMP on all your HOPES and DREAMS. That is what LIFE is.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 pm

I have only been to one zombie themed game.

I brought balloons. They were inflated and taped to the heads of the "zombies".
All the zombies wore full face masks, minors in addition to face masks had to also wear helmets.
There should always be a 5:1 ratio, zombie vs humans.

When the balloon was popped, zed was dead. Sounds easy, but, when the balloon is flopping around, the bb's would bounce rite off unless you are very close. Or you had a upgraded gun with heavyweight ammo. During the "bug" season mosquito's will pop a balloon if left stationary.

AEG's: 1 hicap (semi-auto only), or, 2 lo-caps (full auto allowed), or, as many real-caps as you can carry (full auto allowed).
GBB's: As many mags as you want, no full auto.

When I used to attend airsoft games I always brought balloons. You blow them up and drop them on the trail. There is very little trigger disciplan at most events. Just listen for a pop. ;)

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”