The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lynxian

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Lynxian » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 am

Grimstad wrote:Only one suggestion. Extend the water cooling to the video cards also. The two places where dust will collect and kill hardware by choking airflow is the CPU and the video cards. One of the most overlooked benefits of watercooling is the fact that you are not sucking dust and cat hair and whatever else is floating around in the air, through the heat sinks which will eventually clog them.
You could also open up and vacuum clean the computer once every three to six months. ;)
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 am

God, so you mean my regular cleaning regime of spraying a can of compressed air through one of the vent slots wont work? :lol: I will take all of this into consideration.

PH BTW Look what this guy built...... this makes selling a Gun for a game look like little kid stuff.
http://www.ripten.com/2011/07/27/this-s ... rk-of-art/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Grimstad
Favorite Zombie Movies: Children shouldn't play with dead things
Location: Seattle, Washington .......... ,.................Left Wing Gun Nut

Post by Grimstad » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am

Canned air is way over rated. The next time you blow the dust out of your machine take it one step further. Pull the fan off the heat sink and see how well it worked.
"Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down." - Malcolm Reynolds

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

Looks like the armor system AND the armoror skill are getting over hauled.
http://gotgame.com/2011/07/11/skyrims-armor-overhauled/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TL,DR:
*The cuirass (top armor) and the Greaves (the metal pants) are now a one piece system (much like the dark brotherhood light armor)
* you can now improve your armor, weapons and even create new weapons at the blacksmith stations if your skill is high enough.

This armor situation does disturb me a bit because I like to enchant the hell out of my character equipment. Does this mean that Im going to be limited to my enchantment possibilities? In Morrowwind you had a metric TON of mix and match armor that you could enchant all separately, that was cut down in Oblivion, and is now being cut down further. Ide be Ok with it if you could enchant items with more than one attribute, so maybe that is something they are considering.

Thoughts?
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 am

Heh, I'm not one for the enchanting skill (too foggy for me, I prefer something like marksman ;)) but it would be very annoying to have items that can only hold one attribute. That would just make the RPG-player inside of me weep. I just hope that enchanting is a bit more like Morrowind than Oblivion since the little that I did meddle with it seemed to be very limited and expensive. Not to mention the trouble you have to go though to get the souls trapped in the soul gems. I would prefer just using magic to enchant items, like Might and Magic (the RPGs, not the RTS variants).
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 am

Oblivion didnt have a bad system for enchanting and it was pretty expensive when you did do it. Grand soul gems cost almost 1000 gold, and then you had to pay again when you enchanted stuff, anywhere from 500-3000 gold depending on what effect you were enchanting.
Morrow wind enchanting was HORRIBLE. You had a chance of failure if you tried to enchant yourself and if it failed the gem was destroyed...... this was enough to give you ulcers. I used to Stack Fortify Luck potions like crazy anytime I enchanted and I still failed pretty often.

and you dont have to spend points in enchant in oblivion. Try it next time you do a character, any Orc barbarian can complete the first 7 mage missions, and after that you can get in the arcane univ. OR you can download the Frostcrag spire dlc and do it yourself. I had an Orc fighter with enchanted heavy steel armor that was damn near invincible.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Onursixx

Post by Onursixx » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:36 am

Lynxian wrote:
docdredd wrote:Ok here are the specs for the computer that is being built for me My little brother said that is should run everything just fine, But what do you other PC guys think?

Special-A
1 x Case ( NZXT Source 210 Gaming Case - Black )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Free Stuff ( [Free] - 16GB Corsair USB 3.0 Flash Drive - Free with Any System Purchase over $999 )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 )
1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )
1 x Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Standard )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )
1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
1 x Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
It looks great to me. The only thing I can find about it is that the processor (CPU) could be a bit more powerful; personally I've got an i7-600 (I think) and it's neat since it has a larger cache, faster data transfer rate and, perhaps most importantly, a turbo mode that allows it to reach very high speeds if needed. It's certainly not a must with the pretty and powerful machine you've chosen, but since you seem to be going for pretty expensive, high grade, components, I wouldn't see a reason why you should go for a processor that's not top of the line, either. :wink: Having said that, what you've chosen right now should play Skyrim with high graphics easily. (Assuming, of course, that Skyrim's recommended system requirements won't require a military supercomputer.)
Indeed you are correct about the i7, and would love to have installed it in the rig, but i figured save the cash to upgrade several other parts would be the wiser choice since im going to end up overclocking the cpu to just under 4GHz anyway. Dont worry my brother. This set up is well worth the cash and will do you for many years to come :-)

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 am

Onursixx wrote:Indeed you are correct about the i7, and would love to have installed it in the rig, but i figured save the cash to upgrade several other parts would be the wiser choice since im going to end up overclocking the cpu to just under 4GHz anyway. Dont worry my brother. This set up is well worth the cash and will do you for many years to come :-)
Ah, so that's why you went with the liquid cooling system! ;) I just figured that you guys lived at a very hot place or were keen on keeping things very cool. I never used liquid cooling; is it easy to install and maintain?

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Quake con update. 13 people got to play for 45 min, here is some info
http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/6471 ... fbfantrack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Onursixx

Post by Onursixx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:50 am

Lynxian wrote:
Onursixx wrote:Indeed you are correct about the i7, and would love to have installed it in the rig, but i figured save the cash to upgrade several other parts would be the wiser choice since im going to end up overclocking the cpu to just under 4GHz anyway. Dont worry my brother. This set up is well worth the cash and will do you for many years to come :-)
Ah, so that's why you went with the liquid cooling system! ;) I just figured that you guys lived at a very hot place or were keen on keeping things very cool. I never used liquid cooling; is it easy to install and maintain?
The one i will be using is a closed system right out of the box. you never have to refill for do any kind of maintenance to it. Its actually a really nice idea. and they work really well too. As far as installing it, you have to change the heatsink bracket on the motherboard, but thats it. Easy to set up and use. Take a look. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... kwCjCECjCE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:50 am

docdredd wrote: *The cuirass (top armor) and the Greaves (the metal pants) are now a one piece system (much like the dark brotherhood light armor)
Hate hate hate hate hate.

I can't stand this damn trend of theirs, adding two features and removing ten. They nixed some armor categories because they can make armor prettier if it's all one piece. Morrowind's armor system was one of the reasons I fell in love with the series, and now they're killing it all so that they can make the game look better. They did enough of that in Oblivion, and now they're doing it again. Removing armor pieces, removing certain skills, removing certain attributes, cutting down on astrological signs...

By the time we get to the Elder Scrolls VI, it'll be the prettiest and best looking 2D platformer you've ever seen. :?

JerryOnly
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, ahhh zombies, omega man

Post by JerryOnly » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Just pre-ordered no extra prize for doing so. The extreme addition is like $100+ for a statue and an art book. No in game perks.
HorrorBusiness

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:26 pm

You sure? When I ordered mine it came with a improved map. not a paper one.....
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:16 am

The 40 min quake con video, you have to wait 45 seconds to download it so you can watch advertisements, but its legit and my antivirus didnt get any warnings.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=16D1TDA3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

JerryOnly
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, ahhh zombies, omega man

Post by JerryOnly » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:04 pm

docdredd wrote:You sure? When I ordered mine it came with a improved map. not a paper one.....
dont think so. after hearing like 120 bucks for the statue and art book no in game content I tuned out....cloth map cool yes, but not cool enough to double the games price for me.
HorrorBusiness

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Oh dear god I didnt pay 120 bucks. I just p reordered the reg game and the Game stop guy said that all the pre orders came with the cloth map.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Some more details just came out ... http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/08/13 ... ls-emerge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Details...
Joinable Factions: Rebels with branching path quests (Stormcloaks) and Riverwood Tavern Warrior Clan.

-Pickpocket skill provides greater RP opportunities and much more realistic thievery for thieves.

-Myriad options for face-paint.

-Even minor NPCs have much more complexity and depth compared with Oblivion.

-Character Generation remembers your settings when switching between races

-You can persuade various random NPCs to accompany you and they feel like fleshed out, interesting companions.

-There are six different stages to crafting items. The first two are: Refining crude ore and Assembling materials.

-More realistic alchemy labs.

-In addition to alchemy ingredients there are also reagents.

-Some spells can be learned by reading spell tomes, while others can be bought from merchants.

-Hand to Hand attacks have a much improved gravity and physicality.

-There are more ways to complete quests.

-Lockpicking mini-game is improved.

-There are bards in the game.

-You can choose not to spend perk points each level, and hold onto them instead.

-During Character Generation you can add laugh lines to your character.

-There are dozens of sliders for character creation.

-Aurora Borealis is confirmed.

-You can have animal companions.

-Bosmer “Animal Allies” Racial Ability confirmed.

-NPCs can throw rocks if they are on a bridge above you

-Glow Worms confirmed.

-Killable Bees and insects confirmed (you can harvest bees from beehives).

-Fast Travel costs money.

-Perks do not stop at level 50.

-There are more types of poison.

-Bosmer are immune to most types of poison.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:07 pm

OK so what does this mean? Does this mean that If I buy the physical game when it comes out that I will have to download steam for it to work? Help out a computer newb.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... ndows.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a brief time when folks who looked at the Skyrim collector’s edition and understandably thought the game would only be playable on Games for Windows Live. Despite the logo for Microsoft’s PC gaming client appearing on the box art, Bethesda will actually be utilizing Valve’s popular Steam service.

“We can confirm today that we're using Steamworks for Skyrim,” reads the official Elder Scrolls twitter. The truth is that the game won’t use Games for Windows at all.

Take a look at the picture to below to see what lead so many to believe that Skyrim would use Games for Windows.

We still don’t know if this means the game will have Steam achievements or Steam Cloud support, but fans of Valve’s PC distribution service should be very pleased.

Source: PC Gamer
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:16 am

docdredd wrote:OK so what does this mean? Does this mean that If I buy the physical game when it comes out that I will have to download steam for it to work? Help out a computer newb.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... ndows.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a brief time when folks who looked at the Skyrim collector’s edition and understandably thought the game would only be playable on Games for Windows Live. Despite the logo for Microsoft’s PC gaming client appearing on the box art, Bethesda will actually be utilizing Valve’s popular Steam service.

“We can confirm today that we're using Steamworks for Skyrim,” reads the official Elder Scrolls twitter. The truth is that the game won’t use Games for Windows at all.

Take a look at the picture to below to see what lead so many to believe that Skyrim would use Games for Windows.

We still don’t know if this means the game will have Steam achievements or Steam Cloud support, but fans of Valve’s PC distribution service should be very pleased.

You may need Steam, correct, another game recently did this. You bought the physical copy and still had to download like 10gigs of info, think it was SC2 via the BNet system.

Not 100% if that is what their talking about, but if your refusing to use steam, wait a day or so after launch and see what folks have to say to avoid any confusion.

I'll be buying just the digital copy myself.

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:20 am

docdredd wrote:OK so what does this mean? Does this mean that If I buy the physical game when it comes out that I will have to download steam for it to work? Help out a computer newb.

Just to back-up Sckitzo: yeah, you'll need Steam. Previous titles that used this would, upon installing the game, automatically install Steam. Launching the game will automatically launch Steam. Upon opening Steam you'll need a user account (free, but requires registration - no credit card data needs to be given for just an account, but can be used later on for purchasing games through the Steam store). If you already have a user account then launching the game would launch Steam and through Steam the game will be launched. There's some plusses (Steam cloud services and achievements if you like this and if the developers decided to use this) and some negatives (such as possible Steam DRM - though it has been non-invasive to my knowledge so far - it simply scans the game files if they haven't been altered). Most games will also run in offline mode (e.g.: if you don't have an internet connection, Steam will go into offline mode and you can still play your single-player games) but some (mainly Ubisoft games - they're a bunch of panicky developers) require constant connection. I don't know what Skyrim will require yet.

Personally I really like Steam, but I'm not very fond of the decision to require Steam. I reckon it should be optional. I'm also afraid that Valve - while still great developers who seem to prefer protecting their games in a non-invasive manner for gamers - might be corrupted with power if they become to big. Let's hope not - I really like them - but I'm sceptical to see where all this protection (by Valve and other companies) is going. Though perhaps that's slightly off-topic. ;)

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:26 am

Im just worried about the drm thing. I plan on modding the hell out of this game when the savants over at The Nexus get done playing with it. Is that going to cause an issue if their scan comes up with some changed file settings. Also I dont particularly care for steam because of there policy's. If I buy a game it should be mine, BUT you all that download digital copies and then later try to sell them can have your account shut down :cry: thats bullshit in my mind. Now if I have to have a steam account Ill do it but I am going to be one unhappy little fanboy.
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:30 am

docdredd wrote:Im just worried about the drm thing. I plan on modding the hell out of this game when the savants over at The Nexus get done playing with it. Is that going to cause an issue if their scan comes up with some changed file settings. Also I dont particularly care for steam because of there policy's. If I buy a game it should be mine, BUT you all that download digital copies and then later try to sell them can have your account shut down :cry: thats bullshit in my mind. Now if I have to have a steam account Ill do it but I am going to be one unhappy little fanboy.
Valve is very liberal in terms of modding in regard to their own games, so I'm fairly certain that they and Bethesda will work something out to allow for modding. They're also working on some sort of trading system which should allow you to trade games with others. It's not ideal (because I agree; you should be able to sell what you own) but at least it's something.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:23 pm

I've never had a issue modding games purchased through the steam client, anywhere from Fallout and Oblivion games to minor hacks to others to remove annoying crap like unskipable movies.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Khajit.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/arti ... UK.bmp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://portal.aecorp.in/wp-content/uplo ... former.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orc.

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/asset ... kotaku.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/art/full/3279351.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bosmer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8613775/Skyrim/ ... /p6Br1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6124/603 ... caf1_b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Argonian.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8613775/Skyrim/ ... le-Bob.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg716/sc ... res=medium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nord.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8613775/Skyrim/ ... racter.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/603 ... 1eaa_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redguard.

http://img.jeuxvideo.fr/photo/04498820- ... skyrim.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://media.multiplayer.it/thumbs/imag ... ig_q85.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dunmer.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article ... 209834.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evolution of races throughout the Elder Scrolls series.

http://i.imgur.com/PmStk.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”