The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by Tribunal Power » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:59 am

This is going to be the best Armistace Day since we won the war.

I loved Oblivion, but I still think Morrowind was the best. I really hope they draw more elements from Morrowind this time around, because they snipped a lot of content when they made Oblivion.

In any event, TES5 looks like a slam dunk so far.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:40 pm

I have been Pen and paper gaming a few times a week trying to keep the jitters down. I have also dusted off oblivion and replayed a few character types trying to decide what character, race and style to play through first.
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Ok here is a question what race, sex, and character type is going to be your first run through...

Im thinking

Male Dark elf Assassin.
The dark elves have a high fire resistance as a racial ability which will be handy in those fire breathing dragon encounters. They also have a pretty good starting ability in blade, destruction, and marksman.
Light armor combined with dual blade use. (Enchanted daggers-Very low weight with fast attack speed damage boosted with spells)

I am going to be mush more of a sneak type character with lots of shots in the dark and stealth kills. Awesome for dungeons..... not so awesome for toe to toe fights...... have to work around this.

So whats it going to be?
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:25 pm

I'll probably have a Nord and a Dunmer character, not sure which I'll have first. I normally start with a Nord and then use a Dunmer on my second playthrough, to pay homage to Morrowind.

I always make a custom class. Generally I try to specialize in warrior skills along with Marksman, Security, and whatever schools of magic are important in the game (Mysticism in Morrowind, a couple others in Oblivion).

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:07 am

docdredd wrote:Ok here is a question what race, sex, and character type is going to be your first run through...

Im thinking

Male Dark elf Assassin.
The dark elves have a high fire resistance as a racial ability which will be handy in those fire breathing dragon encounters. They also have a pretty good starting ability in blade, destruction, and marksman.
Light armor combined with dual blade use. (Enchanted daggers-Very low weight with fast attack speed damage boosted with spells)

I am going to be mush more of a sneak type character with lots of shots in the dark and stealth kills. Awesome for dungeons..... not so awesome for toe to toe fights...... have to work around this.

So whats it going to be?
From what I remember from the E3 presentation, there weren't just fire-breathing dragons; there were element specific dragons. So low-level dragons were fire-dragons, the more dangerous ones wind or ice dragons, if I recall correctly. So fire-resistance might be useful, but for dragons you might want to rely more on your wit. ;)

As for my character: if they finally get the magic system right then I might be interested in a sneaking archer with fire capabilities. But it would also be nice if I could be decent at sword fighting. My tactic for the past two games has always been to scream like a little girl and wave the sword around as much as possible. Twould be neat if I could actually be decent this time around. Not so sure if it was the combat systems or my own incapability to yield a sword. :P
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 am

As long as Archery =/= turning the enemy into pincusions I imagine I'll go sneaky archer for first play through, maybe with a bit of magic. I really hope the Dark Brotherhood has a quest line, it was such a blast in Oblivion. Though, even if Archery sucks...again, won't be long until it's modded right.

Tribunal Power

Post by Tribunal Power » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:47 am

Sckitzo wrote:As long as Archery =/= turning the enemy into pincusions I imagine I'll go sneaky archer for first play through, maybe with a bit of magic. I really hope the Dark Brotherhood has a quest line, it was such a blast in Oblivion. Though, even if Archery sucks...again, won't be long until it's modded right.
Yeah, archery was garbage in Oblivion. Honestly it was better in Morrowind-- at least you could actually kill shit with a bow. Really, the only problem Oblivion had with archery was that the bows were just too weak. I hope they fix that.

And ditto on the Brotherhood. Best quests in Oblibion. 'Whodunit?' will always be my favorite quest.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:05 am

Archery is supposed to be completely redone in skyrim. With 1 or 2 arrows killing a normal humanoid opponent. And 1 arrow in sneak mode doing most creatures in. They have claimed to balance this by slowing down how fast bows can be shot and making arrows slightly more rare,
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 am

I didn't have much of an issue with the archery in Oblivion... once I got high enough level it was almost always one shot one kill when sneaking around. I found the arrow was the way to go, as the dagger or sword or whatever could take 5-10 hits and you or the opponent never running out of stamina or slowing down due to injury from the previous strikes.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Tribunal Power

Post by Tribunal Power » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 am

dukman wrote:I didn't have much of an issue with the archery in Oblivion... once I got high enough level it was almost always one shot one kill when sneaking around. I found the arrow was the way to go, as the dagger or sword or whatever could take 5-10 hits and you or the opponent never running out of stamina or slowing down due to injury from the previous strikes.
The only time I ever got results like that was when I got sick of turning my enemies into cactii with my bow, so I turned the difficulty all the way down. I had max marksman and the best bow with my preferred arrows with max sneak at a crazy high level, and nothing stronger than a bandit would die with my first arrow on the normal difficulty. I played the game for ages and I always liked marksman, but the only time I could use it and be satisfied was on the lowest difficulty.

Oblivion has a stupid leveling system. Instead of baddies being at a fixed level, most of them are just set at P+5 or P+10 (that's 5 or 10 levels higher than the player), which means you get to lvl50 and have to fight lvl55 goblins abd lvl60 trolls. You get crazy powerful, but never FEEL powerful because everything around you is so durable. Granted, they can't kill you cuz your armor is too high at that point, but it takes 20 hits with the strongest weapon to kill anything other than an npc.

That contributed to the bow issue, and I SERIOUSLY hope they aren't doing Skyrim that way. Fixed leveling is the way to go.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:36 pm

I must have been playing it on easy mode :oops: :mrgreen:

Fixed leveling is the way to go, if done right. The goblins shouldn't all be at 50hp tho (or whatever it is), they should vary a little as some should be weaker than others. I agree that they shouldn't all be player+ levels, but then again there should be the chance that some are. As the game progresses, it would be cool to see higher level opponents once in a while. Maybe increasing the size of the higher level opponents to make them appear bigger and stronger than others.

I only played Morrowind a little bit, and one thing that really bugged me (besides the slower gameplay) was the stolen item thing. You could go into a store and steal something, and from then on you could not sell the same thing to that store owner even if the original was sold off a long time before.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Ohh man, nothing was more annoying then coming across some common bandits, wearing Deadric and Glass armor, was a real WTF?

And as long as NPC's bows work the same way, I like the challenge of having to stay away from Archers as they insta kill me most of the time.

Lynxian

Post by Lynxian » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:32 pm

Sckitzo wrote:As long as Archery =/= turning the enemy into pincusions I imagine I'll go sneaky archer for first play through, maybe with a bit of magic. I really hope the Dark Brotherhood has a quest line, it was such a blast in Oblivion. Though, even if Archery sucks...again, won't be long until it's modded right.
They're back. :twisted:
Slow zombies, evidently...
That German Guy's Battalion commander wrote:"If someone breaks through the gate, we expect you to be on your third magazine by the time they get to the first road junction!"

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Lynxian wrote:
They're back. :twisted:
You are my internet hero for the day Lynx!

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 pm

Hmmm... I shall have to purchase a gaming PC because of this game. Curse this transition to Mac!

Sooooo... any suggestions on a computer? Should I just build one?
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:04 pm

I also enjoy the Dark Brotherhood missions. Although Im hoping for something better than a horse for completing them.

My character has always been a Nord since Morrowind. After that I will play as a dark elf. Trick is to be a big ass Nord and still develop sneak and heavy armor. In the oblivion gates I was a tank. They didn't see me until it was too late and then they couldn't fight through my armor. I am so excited about this game.
Draugrbitr

NorrisUnleashed

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Red_Snow wrote:Hmmm... I shall have to purchase a gaming PC because of this game. Curse this transition to Mac!

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.
Draugrbitr

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm

NorrisUnleashed wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:Hmmm... I shall have to purchase a gaming PC because of this game. Curse this transition to Mac!

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.
That opens up a whole other can of worms...

such as buying a TV.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

NorrisUnleashed

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Red_Snow wrote:
NorrisUnleashed wrote:

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.

such as buying a TV.
Copy.....
Draugrbitr

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:21 pm

NorrisUnleashed wrote:

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.
And miss out on the hundreds of mods that come out for the game :wink:

But it depends on what your budget is like, do you know how, or know someone to put it together for you. If you have more money then time on your hands I'd say just buy one, I built mine and it runs fine, but I think I did a few things wrong as it doesn't act quite right sometimes.

Tribunal Power

Post by Tribunal Power » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Red_Snow wrote:
NorrisUnleashed wrote:

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.

such as buying a TV.
Hey, a 360 (even the new one) and a half-decent plasma TV (not a big one, but bigger than a moniter) will still probably cost you less than the machine you'd need to run this. Building a PC yourself would still probably cost like $800-900 for all the crap you need to run stuff like this.

You miss out on the mods, but at the price of (A) having a game that runs smoothly and works with no hassle, or (B) not having to sell your car in order to get a PC to play it.

Always been an adamant console gamer. I like being able to pop in a game and play it right away. I've never been able to do that with PCs, even good ones-- there's always some driver nonsense or "you do not have this or that, system will now hang" blah blah blah. Plus, I love me some achievments! :D

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Tribunal Power wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:
NorrisUnleashed wrote:

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.

such as buying a TV.
Hey, a 360 (even the new one) and a half-decent plasma TV (not a big one, but bigger than a moniter) will still probably cost you less than the machine you'd need to run this. Building a PC yourself would still probably cost like $800-900 for all the crap you need to run stuff like this.

You miss out on the mods, but at the price of (A) having a game that runs smoothly and works with no hassle, or (B) not having to sell your car in order to get a PC to play it.

Always been an adamant console gamer. I like being able to pop in a game and play it right away. I've never been able to do that with PCs, even good ones-- there's always some driver nonsense or "you do not have this or that, system will now hang" blah blah blah. Plus, I love me some achievments! :D
Steam has achievements as well... you also do not need to pay extra to play your games online, or spend a month not being able to login.

My last $900 computer lasted me about 6 years before I finally had to upgrade. I have a 360, but only games I play on it are ones like Fable or Assassins Creed. Anything that needs a lot of depth or precision, RPG's and online FPS's mainly, will be on PC.

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Tribunal Power wrote:
Red_Snow wrote:
NorrisUnleashed wrote:

Just buy an Xbox or PS3.

such as buying a TV.
H

You miss out on the mods,
Like this one ....http://www.shacknews.com/file/20577/the ... lish-v1075#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; an entire new game based on the Oblivion engine that is free to play as long as you have oblivion. Its hundreds of hours long with new creatures weapons races and styles. An entire new game for free ..... but only on pc
SMoAF wrote:

Vicarious_Lee

Tribunal Power

Post by Tribunal Power » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm

[quote="Sckitzo]Steam has achievements as well... you also do not need to pay extra to play your games online, or spend a month not being able to login. [/quote]

That's true.

I wish I could be a PC gamer. There are some pretty cool games that are PC-exclusive. Sadly, I just can't justify spending that much on something that's only sometimes marginally better than my present state of gaming.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”