Any application for used fire hose?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kevin108

Any application for used fire hose?

Post by Kevin108 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am

I'm able to get my hands on some of this stuff with no hardware on it. The only thing I've come up with isusing folding the first 6-8 inches in half as a grip and using it as a weapon.

The only suggestions I've found online were boat dock bumpers and landscaping. I'm looking for some more creative uses. Any ideas?

Paw print

Re: Any application for used fire hose?

Post by Paw print » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 am

Would be pretty easy to make rifle scabbards out of it......they would be waterproof, and very protective covering for a favorite long arm!
It's still moving. Shoot it again.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 am

Handle wrap for your tactical fire axe.

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:43 am

Novelty condoms.

EDIT
Ok serious answer - you could cut it into sections and create pouches for gear with stitching and velcro.
Man is a beast of prey

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:44 am

the_alias wrote:Novelty condoms.
Novelty says YOU. :D

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:46 am

the_alias wrote:Novelty condoms.
Giggity!

OTOH:
- Cable Sleeves
- mock up sheath for your Katana w/ cord-wrapped handle
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:48 am

You think they'd hold up to melt-sealing?

You could make uber resistant time capsules out of them and bury things with them. I dunno, man, I'm kind of tapped out for the moment, but making rubber 'cases' for things looks neat. Maybe you could buy a take-down gun and put it in there and bury it for the novelty of having a gun buried under your shed or something. Put a bunch of oxygen absorbers and try to fill it with CO2 using the dry-ice method, for great results, maybe. I doubt you could vacuum seal that thing easily, or that'd be neat. Just a shit load of oil on the metal bits, CO2, and O2 absorbers, I guess.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:00 am

High rise emergency escape system.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 am

Works great for wrapping the Gunwales on a boat.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

DialM

Post by DialM » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:09 am

Don't assume it is waterproof: many fire hoses are made to weep.

MrBomb
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Night of the Living Dead, Walking Dead

Post by MrBomb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 am

DialM wrote:Don't assume it is waterproof: many fire hoses are made to weep.

:( poor little fire hose! Dont worry, no one will ever make you weep again, you are safe now!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 am

You could use it as part of a water catchment system from roof gutters to a barrel or to water a garden. Or if you have a diatamaceous earth pool filter as the backflush hose.

Or make some sweet suspenders.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:24 am

http://www.onestopfire.com/faq.htm#h5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the difference between weeping and non-weeping hose?
A weeping hose is manufactured to allow moisture to wick from the inside to make the exterior damp or slightly wet. It does not spray water or leak like a common lawn soaker hose. The purpose is to allow the hose to self-protect from flying embers and hot spots. Weeping hose is popular in forest fire fighting. Non-weeping hose remains dry on the exterior.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 pm

JTNieman wrote:You think they'd hold up to melt-sealing?

You could make uber resistant time capsules out of them and bury things with them. I dunno, man, I'm kind of tapped out for the moment, but making rubber 'cases' for things looks neat. Maybe you could buy a take-down gun and put it in there and bury it for the novelty of having a gun buried under your shed or something. Put a bunch of oxygen absorbers and try to fill it with CO2 using the dry-ice method, for great results, maybe. I doubt you could vacuum seal that thing easily, or that'd be neat. Just a shit load of oil on the metal bits, CO2, and O2 absorbers, I guess.
Honestly I'd be surprised if it would melt at all. Most rubber is crosslinked and won't ever actually melt.

Clout

Post by Clout » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Works great for wrapping the Gunwales on a boat.
Damn it, I can't read that word the way it is supposed to be said. It comes out gun+whales instead of gun+alls.

OT: I've had a hard on for building my own tree stands. I would like to make them cheaper, more permanent, safer and more comfortable than store bought options. I see this as a possible webbing to create a seat for my homemade tree stand. 2X4 frame with the weave pattern seen on a chair:

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:08 pm

My dog has a toy made of old out firehose, the thing is tough as nails and she loves to fetch with it. We bought it from a retailer but with the right equipment I'm sure it could be made at home.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

TooManyIdeas
Favorite Zombie Movies: AAAHHHH Zombies
Dawn of the Dead
Fido

Post by TooManyIdeas » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Maybe use it as a concrete form of some kind

Possible Water or Fuel blatters

How rubbery is it? Giant Ass Sling Shot!

Cypherian

Post by Cypherian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Anti Abrasion protector for climbing ropes, vehicle recovery chains and straps , tree protectors when chaining off to winch out, chain silencers and for anti recoil. If using rope or strap to snatch / pull someone out you slide it on at the end near the vehicle your pulling and velcoro wrap / duct tape in place if the rope/strap snaps it won't fly back and smash windows dent hood fenders etc.If you have a heavy duty bumper and use it to push with it would protect it if you attach some strips via strong weather / temp proof glue. I have a few pieces as fetch toys for my partner however, before you do this ensure your dog does not have genically soft teeth your vet can check with a dental tool. The hose is capable of wearing teeth down seen it on a few occasions if the dog is an avid chewer / tug player as some of it is woven with kevlar and spectra thread impregnated into the hose for cut resistance etc. You could also use if to cover hoses and such in your vehicle to prevent chaffing.

Cypher
Last edited by Cypherian on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fear Not A Monster So Much As To Become A Monster To Be Feared!
Cypherian
An Adaptation of a Friedrich Nietzsche Quote "And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:00 pm

TooManyIdeas wrote:How rubbery is it?
Not really rubbery at all. It's reinforced with some tube of cordage and doesn't stretch perceptibly.
Cypherian wrote:tree protectors when chaining off to winch out... have a few pieces as fetch toys for my partner however
Brilliant! Christmas is coming up and I have family/friends with both dogs and 4x4s! Awesome, awesome suggestions!

Andrew Sterner
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Zombieland, Tokyo Zombie, [REC], Quarantine(1 and 2), Juan of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Andrew Sterner » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:24 pm

We use them as rope protection. No idea what the real term is, as that wasn't taught when I learned the trade. Really useful though, you don't have to worry about the rope getting frayed on a cliff, and it should also extend the life of the rope.

LBB

Post by LBB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:54 pm

As a belt with a steam engine.

Or as a hose on a water pump, as it collapses when no water is coming out, you can be sure no animals are going in.

will_545
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead

Post by will_545 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Works good for protecting chain saw blades. Also pull strap

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Andrew Sterner wrote:We use them as rope protection. No idea what the real term is, as that wasn't taught when I learned the trade. Really useful though, you don't have to worry about the rope getting frayed on a cliff, and it should also extend the life of the rope.
They are called rope condoms. At least that is what we were told in my training.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

klrvagabond

Post by klrvagabond » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 am

I've heard of people using sections of old fire hose to hang steel targets; they supposedly hold up to getting hit better than chain.

Return to “Other Gear”