New Boots time - wide toes and a question?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

New Boots time - wide toes and a question?

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:53 pm

From this thread:
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=99314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm in the market for some new hiking boots. My Vasques lived a life of 7 years and are finally giving it up after this summer. I can get about another year out of them but I should get some new boots anyways.

I like Danner Mountain Light IIs
http://www.danner.com/boots/mountain-li ... boots.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Made in the USA - Made right here in Portland acrtually (with a store to boot << haha), $300+, resolable, classic, and all the cons. Also, my favorite thing, one piece construction so no superflous threads to come loose and shit ... I hate shoes sewn together for aesthetic reasons or whatever. The more thread, the more chance it will come undone and fall apart IMO.

Thing is I got wide toes. I'm half Asian and grew up in an Asian home. We did not wear shoes inside. We did not wear shoes all weekend sometimes. I have carried on this tradition and, though I am no Cody Lundin, I am more comfortable barefoot. I do need shoes including boots for hiking. I thought I had a wide foot but I bought some wide-sized shoes last year and I do not have a wide foot, just wide toes. I went to REI last winter and had that verified after a fitting. So far Keens are the only shoe I know of that have extra large toe boxes for my wide toes. I own some.

Now, before I blow over $300 on Danner boots, does anyone know if they can accomadate wide toes? Should I just go with the more disoposable Keen Gypsums (guaranteed to fit my toes)
http://www.rei.com/product/813907/keen- ... boots-mens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but have to suffer all that superflous stitching and them invariably wearing out on me in 3-5 years?

Or should I just go full Cody Lundin and start going barefoot 100%? I'm sure I can work a deal in the office :lol:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

BlueSilkRibbon
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Walking Dead
Location: Pocono Mountains, North Eastern Pennsylvania (NePa),

Re: New Boots time - wide toes and a question?

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm

I have owned these boots, and currently an exact knock off I got from Ramsey Outdoor and I don't really like them. They walk funny, throw my gate off, the tongue constantly drifts to one side and nearly impossible to break in. They are very well made but for your needs the "toe box" is quite narrow. On the upside they will last for years, on the downside they will last for years. I bought the second pair because they are my dressing up boots lol. My hands down favorite boots of my whole life, which I intend to be buried in are these Chippawa's

http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/classics/20082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15 years of hiking, backpacking AND everyday use and still going strong, average toe box but when broken in, they will fit like a custom glove.

Hope this helps...

BSR
Zombie Patrol: It's like neighborhood watch...with Zombies.
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

landser

Post by landser » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm

I have wide flat feet and grew up in hawaii shoeless. Like you the asian culture influence and polynesian influence dictated that we often went shoeless every where. The best shoes I have ever had are Keen I have four pairs all in various states of wear I have had danners and vasque and merrils but I have found keens to be the best if you swap out the inner cushion. the toe box for a keen is a marvel for wide flat footed people.

However it must be noted you need to order 1 size bigger than what you measure I have found this consistent with three types of there boots and shoes. foe example i am a small 7 1/2 but get 8 1/2s
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:34 am

I was afraid those Danners had narrow toe boxes. Thanks guys. I might just end up with some Keen boots then. Most of my shoes now are Keens:
2 pairs of Keen Alkis - this is for the office. Great shoe.
1 pair (my first) Keen Leather Newports. I need to write a thread on these - love them/hate them... had them for over 5 years.
1 pair Keen Rvel - for the 2 weeks a year we get snow or ice or if I decide to go up past the timebrline on Mt. Hood.
Might as well kill it off and get some utility hikers, flip flops, and cross trainers from Keen too. :lol:

Though I might look into them Chippawas...
President ZSC011

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:46 am

Have you ever tried the Keen boots? I know you said that you have their shoes, I do too. They are great because of their wide toe box, but my pair of Keen boots (steel toe Pittsburghs) unfortunately have the same narrow toe as everybody else (and the boots, unlike the shoes, are made in China).

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am

I have the "snow" boots. They still need some break-in time as they feel a bit stiff on me. I have worn them once in the snow so far. Thanks for the advice on the boots though.

I'm pretty sure the shoes are also imported. Keen is HQed here in PDX but I am sure that building does not have any manufacturing in it. Most of the shoes I have looked at or owned do not say "Made In USA". When I get a chance I'll take off my Alki and look just to make sure.
President ZSC011

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

Here's the current Keen "made in the USA" line:
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wall/ ... /na/37,830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Though marketed as an "urban boot" I like the style of the Nopo ... plus it's named after where I live now in North Portland. Also, my middle name (Thai) is Nopodon ... and the boot is called "Nopo". That's just frikkin cool.

ETA: Other than that I just 'aint got no use for an "urban boot". :roll:
President ZSC011

landser

Post by landser » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:27 am

I do have a pair of there hikeing boots i had to endure a pinch on the top of my foot for bit till they were broke in.
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

foul_ball
Favorite Zombie Movies: Carnival of the Damned, Zombieland

Post by foul_ball » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:55 pm

I have had Danners, and while I love the construction, the fit was never right, but I didn't learn what was wrong until I started wearing Keens, currently the Siskyou (sp?) model.

LittleQuick

Post by LittleQuick » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:12 pm

http://www.bradsdeals.com/deals/keen-vo ... 20926-1681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:09 pm

I like shoes that are tight in the heel and wide in the toes so I can wiggle 'em. I've found Carolina boots* make my feet happy, but they mostly make work boots, not hiking boots. But you can get a set of Carolina loggers for half the price of those Danners. Actually, exactly half, the shop by me sells them at $149.99.

*The US made ones anyway. Half of their line is imports, I'd guess they probably fit differently.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm looking at options now and doing some research, a lot of it stemming from this thread, and I'll be pulling the trigger in December.
President ZSC011

Kochman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - 2004

Post by Kochman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:43 pm

I have Barney Rubble feet and recently purchased a pair of Keen mids. Couldn't be happier.

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:39 am

I wear a 4E width. I've had this pair of the Danner Mountain Lt II and have worn them for about 16 years now. They can take awhile to conform to your feet due to the fact they are full grain leather.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 am

Near the end of the saga, and turning the corner to face a new saga.

Post Xmas found out I was a size 13. My Brother in Law, bless his soul, got me a new pair of Keen Targhee's for Xmas in a size 12. They were crushing my toes. I then realized all my shoes were crushing my toes. The last time I had my foot measured was about 4-5 years ago. Went to REI and measured my foot thinking I was a 12 wide. Nope, I'm a 13 regular with big toes. Many theories about how my foot got longer, toes wider.

Returned the Targhees and a pair of un-worn Keen winter boots. Got some Keen hiking shoes and the rest in a store credit. Since January the hunt for a new hiking boot went on with the new knowledge I am a 13R. :o

This week got my REI dividend and annual 20% coupon. Also have that credit. ALSO found out yesterday that REI is now carrying Danner boots (they did not carry Danner boots). Went to REI last night for my wife who was looking at a decent sleep system, had a good dividend/coupon/store credit (so she got $250 in Big Agnes sleeping bag and air pad for $25) and, flush with a bit of tax return cash in my account, I tried on some Danner Mountain Lights II and walked out with them (after paying of course). $310 originally and had a little more than $100 in discounts and such - bam! bought into a recraftable boot.

I'm wearing them right now with my jeans on casual Friday at the office. Wore them last night on my mile walk. Feels good. Sales guy told me that people with wide toes like me (though a "regular" in foot width) should get a wide boot. He is correct. The boot fits good around my heel and ankle and my toes have some wiggle room. I have room for a thick sock too if I go that way and in thin socks my foot does not flop around. Gawtdang this is a nice boot.

At my desk. Did a mile on the gravel and sidewalks last night, morning walk-in on sidewalks, stairs, and the prestine mall. Doing an over-nighter in the woods tomorrow with Scurvy so will get some real dirt on these and maybe some snow.

The padding around the ankles are a bit tight right now but that's going to take some time to break in obviously. I did it though - I bought some classics. :)
President ZSC011

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 am

Nice! Cool that REI is carrying Danners now.

I also have a pair of Vasques (what? 8-9 yrs now) that haven't given up yet. These are the type

I window shop online sometimes and have come across the danner's you show there since they are similar in style. I was thinking they'd be my replacement too! Give us a review towards the end of summer when you've beaten them up some.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:04 pm

These are 1/3 the price, fit your toes however wide they are, they are light, cool on your feet and to clean mud etc off them you just lob them in the washing machine. Hows this for ya ? I have 2 pairs so far and am buying my 3rd pair in 2 weeks,,,, then another on next pay day,,, and another,,,, and,,,,you get the idea ;)
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/produc ... ty=outdoor

Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Cowgirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:41 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Nice! Cool that REI is carrying Danners now.

I also have a pair of Vasques (what? 8-9 yrs now) that haven't given up yet. These are the type

I window shop online sometimes and have come across the danner's you show there since they are similar in style. I was thinking they'd be my replacement too! Give us a review towards the end of summer when you've beaten them up some.
My old Vasques are older than that. They were the nicest, most comfortable boots I ever had. But they are now in desperate need of being replaced. I am pondering what I will get next. Whatever I get must be durable and comfortable.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:55 pm

freenative, I cannot pass for a muppet so I will leave those to you :lol:

Cowgirl, yeah I really like mine too. I wish they were half a size bigger I think because my feet grew in the last 2 years, but they're my favs for sure. Nicely worn.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:06 am

TheLastOne wrote:freenative, I cannot pass for a muppet so I will leave those to you :lol:
I know that In the USA some words and phrases lose something in translation to into UK English and vice versa; So first let me start by saying that in the uk if you call someone "a muppet" you are using a slang term that is akin to calling someone a "stupid dic*head" or a "thick fu*ker" ETC. I.E "do I look like a muppet, man?!" or "that guy is such a muppet!" SO, now that you know this I would like to ask the following; I told you that I own some of these and you inferred that anyone wearing them would "[look like] a muppet". So,,, should I take offense here or is this a misunderstanding due to translation?
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:52 am

I would avoid the Keen Gypsum. I own two pairs, figuring they'd be a more wintery version of the Targhee mids. They're not. The sole is very soft, the uppers are very stretchy, and the heel is really wide.

I'm looking for a new boot myself, with a stiffer sole than Keen offers. They redesigned the Vasque Breeze and got rid of the Garmont hikers I wore before the Vasques, so I'm kinda lost.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 am

On my phone, but google image Kermit feet. Then quit acting like a uk muppet :lol:
This is a lovely thread about boots, I was teasing about the green monstrosities you posted that won't be of much use in the PAC NW cold and wet.

If they work for you that's great. Just saying they won't work for me.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

freenarative

Post by freenarative » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 am

TheLastOne wrote:On my phone, but google image Kermit feet. Then quit acting like a uk muppet :lol:
This is a lovely thread about boots, I was teasing about the green monstrosities you posted that won't be of much use in the PAC NW cold and wet.

If they work for you that's great. Just saying they won't work for me.
AHHHH fair enough. Just checking. I can see the plus side of boots. A decent pair of work boots with a steel sole & toe in the PAW would have definate advantages over my footwear choices. They're not much help in the "grey man" area are they(?)

On a semi-related note,,, let's lighten the mood.
Q) What's green and smells of bacon?
A) Kermits' fingers ;)
(This is why I am no comedian!)

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 am

boooooo haha

I see a lot of people use those toe shoes at the gym. I haven't noticed anyone on the trails with them yet; I'll keep an eye out. Seems like one of those things that you love once you try it.
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Return to “Other Gear”