Champion 2,000 watt inverter generator

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Champion 2,000 watt inverter generator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:46 pm

If it were me of the choices posted I would go with either of these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-HY2000si- ... n+inverter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NK ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reasons being:

1) Both have a 2,000 watt continuous output with a 2,200 watt peak output. The others have a peak out put of 2,000 and a maximum continuous output of only 1,600 watts. The fuel usage is not likely radically different.

2) The cost is less than $600. Yes I know quality cost more, buy once cry once, etc. YMMV.

TLBones

Post by TLBones » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Don't forget you can also pick up a separate inverter 800-1000 watts to run off of your vehicle to suppliment or use as redundancy to your portable generator. I also have this same champion generator picked up from Costco earlier in the year for 450. I haven't seen them in my store in awhile though.

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Post by SwampRat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:52 pm

In addition to good fuel economy, they have longer maintenance schedules. So thats less filters you have to stock, and I think they need 1/2 quart oil every 100 hours instead of 40.

I'm happy with the refurbished stuff. I tend to buy lots of things that way. Look at it like this, it's already had the bugs worked out and fixed by the factory.

I also just picked up a goal0 Kit on clearance from Lowes to supplement my Gens. I keep the battery pack on AC charge by the bed to charge the cell phones in a power outage, it will also run a box fan for about 3 hours. Plan is, ill charge it off the gen while im running larger appliances and have it for later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:04 pm

I was originally looking at a home unit that would run off the gas line so that if a disaster were to happen and we would be without power for a long period of time i wouldnt have to refill it. That said home units can be very expensive both to buy and install. I did see these as a cheaper alternative and some people using them in parrallel to power some of what they needed. I also see these as a plus because they can be taken on camping trips, bugouts, etc. Does anybody on here have a home unit, and if so, what are the pros/cons? Did you wish you got something more or different?

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Post by SwampRat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 am

I didn't spring for the home unit because I plan on moving in a year or two. But once I get back to the BOL I will be installing a small home unit with a giant back yard lp tank. I think that's the best way to go for sure. Not a huge one, just something around 5 or 7 k thats wired in to run the little things. Also in retrospect, had the funds been available, I'd of put one in my current house hooked to the LNG line.

Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 am

raptor wrote:If it were me of the choices posted I would go with either of these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyundai-HY2000si- ... n+inverter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NK ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reasons being:

1) Both have a 2,000 watt continuous output with a 2,200 watt peak output. The others have a peak out put of 2,000 and a maximum continuous output of only 1,600 watts. The fuel usage is not likely radically different.

2) The cost is less than $600. Yes I know quality cost more, buy once cry once, etc. YMMV.
I was leaning towards these two or buying two Champions and paralleling them (more gas used), but I think I need to look at more reviews. Seems like a lot of these are hit or miss. I may also get a Champion just to have it as a family backup. My parents, my wife's dad and brother's houses are within 1 mile of me and I'd rather give them a genny than take all of their fridge food into my house like during last year's hurricanes. :roll:

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:41 pm

raptor wrote:If it were me of the choices posted I would go with either of these two:

The reasons being:

Just pulled the trigger on the Hyundai. Less reviews than the Generac, but far less apparent problems as well. Almost went for the $400 ETQ, but saw that it didn't handle heavier loads well, even though it's rated at higher watts. $661 and it'll be on my doorstep tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime! I'll review it once I get a chance. I'm hoping it'll run both fridges at the same time or maybe a 10,000btu A/C. Seems to run 12,500btu camper A/C's, so I'm hopeful.

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by SwampRat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:42 pm

That's great man, look fwd to your review.

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Haven't tested any loads, but after oiling and gassing up, I pulled once and it fired right up. Seems to be an easy to deal with machine. No choke, nothing. Leveled out to a nice idle and noise was negligible. Obviously I have to test some stuff on it, but if I had to buy another right now, I wouldn't hesitate just based on how easy it started and how well it's running.

Muffin

Post by Muffin » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:03 am

Me and my buddy have a cabin about an hour north of us on family property and have been working on setting it up for power, in fact just this weekend we put up motion lights on each corner of the cabin(12x12 ish with 2 lofts). We have a 850 watt gen that's always there incase we go up on a whim and its enough to run the tv and PS3 and inside lights all night if we wanted, but we recently started bringing his 5000 watt champion up and have installed a mini fridge along with the lights and entertainment and it handles it like nothing, and with 5 gallons runs 8 or 9 hours loaded down with everything on, as a side note for extra power we have a bank of 4 deep cycle batterys that are rigged up with a 10 amp charger and 1000w inverter for when running the gen and have a cheap small car solar pannel that keeps them topped up with power between visits and have found in more than one occasion its not even been needed to start up a generator. Just another option. To keep in mind, as they'll be there when you need them but take up very Little space otherwise.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 am

Just noticed the original link now offers the same pair for $900. Happy "Sandy" Halloween!
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 am

http://forum.carryfire.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&start=10

Hurricane Sandy update:
The Hyundai HY2200si generator is providing enough power for the fridge, tv, internet, cable, phones, charging stations and even a small water boiler. I've been running it since Monday roughly on this schedule:
On 8am-2pm /// off 2pm-6pm /// on 6pm-12am /// off midnight - 8am
I've burned a total of 5-6 gallons.

My future plan will include a Briggs or Generac 8k/10k portable generator jacked into the house through a transfer switch for hot water and heat. This Hyundai will run the "entertainment" and fridge to conserve gas. In fact, I think a smaller generator could accomplish this goal, but so far, this gen is awesome!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:44 am

raptor wrote:Let me mention one thing many of us want the biggest generator you can get. There is a place for this logic but generally most of us can make do quite well with only 2,000 to 5,000 watt generators. That is a lot of power if it is used properly. The flip side to the smaller generator is that it uses less fuel which simplifies the fuel stock pile issue

By properly BTW I mean plan usage, rotate appliances be utilized and make sure you do not exceed the capacity of the unit.

A 2,000 KW unit can supply 16.66 amps of power. So it will power an 8,000 btu A/C (typically 7 amps) and refrigerator (typically 4 amps) while still having about 5 amps of reserve capacity. You also do not have to run the refrigerator constantly you may have to run it only about an hour before it shuts off at the desired temperature. You can then run something else in its place. If you actively manage it you can run many things.
If you get a cheaper back up generator you can use it to run loads while you are servicing/ resting the primary. Get a matching box and you can run them together during peak load times if you want.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

The need for a large generator in my area is driven solely by the electrical needs of the HVAC units I want to run. I would note that if you are in the NE right now that unless you use electricity for heating your electrical needs are quite low in comparison. The power needed to run the electrics and related air blower or water pump (for a boiler system) for a fuel oil or NG powered system is really very low. It should be less than 15 amps @ 120 volts for most home systems. So 15 amps *120 volt =1,800 watts which is easily powered by the generator in the OP.

In addition if you use fuel oil for heating that can also be used in a diesel generator for fuel.

You do have to plan ahead and wire in the heating circuit but that is not that expensive and there are panels that are dedicated to solely that function.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 pm

raptor wrote:
In addition if you use fuel oil for heating that can also be used in a diesel generator for fuel.
If you have a diesel vehicle built before 2006 you could use the fuel in the vehicle also. Depending upon your state this may be illegal for tax purposes (it may also be illegal for running your generator). Many states subsidize fuel oil to make it cheaper so people can heat their homes. They then dye heating oil and agricultural diesel so that it is not confused with other types.

With the exception of some lubricants the fuel is essentially the same as the old diesel we used to burn in cars. For this reason it is a bad idea to do this a lot.

If your vehicle was built after 2006 or says "ULSD Only" heating oil will damage your fuel system and be very expensive to repair (and not covered by your warranty most likely).
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
raptor wrote:
If you have a diesel vehicle built before 2006 you could use the fuel in the vehicle also. Depending upon your state this may be illegal for tax purposes (it may also be illegal for running your generator). Many states subsidize fuel oil to make it cheaper so people can heat their homes. They then dye heating oil and agricultural diesel so that it is not confused with other types.

With the exception of some lubricants the fuel is essentially the same as the old diesel we used to burn in cars. For this reason it is a bad idea to do this a lot.

If your vehicle was built after 2006 or says "ULSD Only" heating oil will damage your fuel system and be very expensive to repair (and not covered by your warranty most likely).
Heating oil is typically dyed #2 diesel and it is illegal (federal law) to use dyed diesel (or gas or kerosene) in any "on road" application since the excise taxes for road use have not collected for its use. However, it is legal to use dyed diesel in a generator or off road application such as heavy equipment or a tractor. There are ultra low, low and high sulfur diesel fuels. There are durability issues associated with use of high sulfur in an ultra low sulfur engine. That said most of the smaller diesel generators are not going to notice the difference between ultra low or high sulfur diesel. BTW the 'high" sulfur fuel is the same diesel fuel formula from pre-WW-2...it is high sulfur only in the context that there are now fuels with 10% of the sulfur content. It is not like they add extra sulfur to the fuel...rather they spend more energy eliminating it.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 am

I've fallen behind on this thread, and am just now catching up. I'd like to go back to Raptor's point on rotating loads.

Keep in mind, I did HVAC and plumbing as a business, so this isn't some wild idea. A generator can power my heating system (fuel oil hot water with one circulator pump), the heat tape on the fuel line to it, a standup freezer, and my fridge, and still have a little juice left over at 5kw. This lets me run some lights, charge phones, maybe hit the internet, etc. The one year I had access to a generator, I vastly extended my fuel usage by running it for one hour, and leaving it off for three.

A few hints: If you keep water bottles in the freezer, and rotate them each shift to the refrigerator area, you can re-freeze them when you power up off the generator. Turn your thermostat UP, so your heating system runs the house temps higher than normal- this will give you more "comfort time" before it falls to a point you don't like. Keep your freezer(s) full, even if it means freezing stuff you don't NEED frozen, like water stores- this increases the thermal mass inside the unit, extending the time needed to thaw it out. It might seem obvious, but- don't open the fridge or freezer more than absolutely necessary- this lets all the cold out. decide what you want out of the fridge or freezer beforehand, then be as quick as possible, and try to time it around your power cycles. A central AC system is often a part of the heating system, using the same ductwork. If this is the case, it's already on the same breaker, most likely. If not, see about getting that changed, checking local codes first. If you have a boiler (hot water), get that onto the same circuit as your AC condenser- you'll run one or the other, never both at the same time, so you don't need to worry about an over draw. If you can locate one, get an RV thermostat, and wire it to some batteries and a buzzer or other signal. Set it up in your common area, and set the stat for your lowest acceptable temperature. The alarm will go off when the room cools to that point, telling you it's time to run the generator. Leave the freezer/fridges plugged in to the generator- they'll only draw power if they need to, the same as the heating system. And, finally, (and this is especially good if you have anyone in the home with heat issues, like asthma) set up one space with an AC unit in the window, rather than run the whole house AC system- it will draw way less energy, and allow for a much more comfortable environment that should help those health issues.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Tevo

Post by Tevo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 am

I go to a summer festival out in the NV desert every year and run two Honda EU2000s paralleled to power an AC unit. Noise is an issue there, not so much for security but simply being a good neighbor and not bothering everyone with your gens. Hondas are super quiet to begin with,but what I do is build an enclosure to baffle the sound. Basically, a 4 sided OSB box with no top and no bottom. 4 sheets of OSB maybe 3'x3' or 4'x4' each, drill holes on each side where they will meet up with the other piece of OSB and zip tie the box together. Line the OSB on the inside of the box with carpet to further baffle the sound. Heat and exhaust escapes out the top and the sound is mostly directed upward also. Likewise with no bottom you don't have to worry about spilling fuel.

On another note, to extend tme between refueling on these small gens an auxillary fuel tank helps. You can build one pretty cheaply. Google Honda auxillary fuel tank and you'll see lots of ideas. Mine looks mostly like this:

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by SwampRat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm sitting out in the shop surfing ZS while I run the fuel out of my Champion 2,000 watt inverter generators. Saw this thread had a little action still so I wanted to mention that since I got them, the test runs have been great on these little things. I -thankfully- still haven't had a need to actually use them, so I can't review much more than that. Every time I crank em, they start right up. (that's my review) Man, winterizing the generators in the middle of January. Well that's Texas for yah. I'm gonna go weed my garden later too. You Northern boys have a nice day :lol:

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:42 pm

SwampRat wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm sitting out in the shop surfing ZS while I run the fuel out of my Champion 2,000 watt inverter generators. Saw this thread had a little action still so I wanted to mention that since I got them, the test runs have been great on these little things. I -thankfully- still haven't had a need to actually use them, so I can't review much more than that. Every time I crank em, they start right up. (that's my review) Man, winterizing the generators in the middle of January. Well that's Texas for yah. I'm gonna go weed my garden later too. You Northern boys have a nice day :lol:
:evil:
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Return to “Other Gear”