Sunglasses as Part of Standard Equipment?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:36 pm

I read this here a few years ago about sunglases providing specific advantages in many situations....http://survivalcache.com/survival-sunglasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keeping sunglasses as part of my standard equipment made so much sense that I bought (at a discount store) a few of those hardcases for glasses. They keep my sunglasses from getting broken no matter where they end up in my bag, although I want to secure the case to the outside of my pack.

Apart from sunglasses providing a potential tactical advantage by hiding your eyes, they also do a decent job of protecting your eyes from the sun, wind, dust, and even sparks or splinters if your are working with metal or wood.

Do most people have a dedicated spot for some type of sunglasses as part of their equipment?
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Re: Sunglasses as Part of Standard Equipment?

Post by Regulator » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 pm

I do. My eyes don't like bright sunlight much. Really bright can make me sneeze. I carry spare shades in my EDC, BOB, glove box and on the dash of my truck. Hard cased in the BOB.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:52 am

Yes. Good kit during both summer and winter. Here is a little sunglass use that sometimes goes unreported. Sunglasses provide relief from gnats that target your eyes.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:28 am

AnonEmous wrote:...

Apart from sunglasses providing a potential tactical advantage by hiding your eyes, they also do a decent job of protecting your eyes from the sun, wind, dust, and even sparks or splinters if your are working with metal or wood.

Do most people have a dedicated spot for some type of sunglasses as part of their equipment?
I do. My eyes are very sensitive to sunlight as well. I know it makes a big difference regarding fatigue levels when it comes to driving too. I'm a fan.
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:46 am

Sunglasses have been a permanent part of my face since I was like 10, that AZ sun is brutal, I always keeps pairs spread through my gear.

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:04 am

I never go anywhere without my sunglasses, or a cheap spare pair stashed away somewhere as a backup. Living in Florida makes that necessary.

I only buy cheap sunglasses that I wouldn't mind breaking or losing. That's a habit I got into when I owned my lawn service, because I'd go through a pair every couple of months. As long as they fit and look decent, I'm happy.

I only buy sunglasses that are UV-A and UV-B blocking, and polarized. The UV blocking is, obviously, to protect my peepers, and the polarized is so I can use them for fishing and other water activities, since they help you to "see underwater" (cut the surface glare so you can see further down into the water).
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 am

Try walking in a heavy snowstorm without some sort of eye protection. Glasses of some sort are a must have
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 am

I guess I never give it much thought, since grabbing my shades is in the same automated process where I grab my wallet, knife, hanky, and keys.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 am

My company allows us to put up to $500 worth of sunglasses on our medical insurance every year, so long as they are ANSI safety rated. So I have several pairs of polarized Costas and Wileys and they come with a fairly decent clam-shell case.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mampfies

Post by Mampfies » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:46 pm

I snagged several pairs of the plastic roll-up dark glasses they give you after eye exams. Don't break, don't take up much room in bags or purses.

Scout308

Post by Scout308 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

A critical component of my EDC. Although as I have gotten older my eyes have gotten a bit less light sensitive. I try to keep two sets on hand, lighter brown/copper for reducing haze and dark grey for when I'm on water/snow.

I also keep at least one pair of non polarized - work better with aircraft and motorcycle wind screens and helmets, also most LCD displays.
I CAN do it. Doesn't mean I should, or will.
I think Life has treated me better than I've treated it, and I regret that. Can't change the past but I can affect the future. (--me)

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Ballistic shades are pretty much a must have to fit in with the cool infantry kids. My edc are Wiley X p17s and I have a Revision Sawfly military kit clipped onto the BOB. I like my outdoorsy eye pro to have interchangeable lenses. I wear clear lenses in the woods at night so I don't get poked in the peepers by branches and what not.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:51 pm

RickOShea wrote: and they come with a fairly decent clam-shell case.
LOL yeah, I wont buy a pair that doesnt come with a reinforced padded taco anymore.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm

I've been wearing tinted ANSI safety glasses for about 13(?) years. Way cheaper than the cool kid shades, and made to a protective standard. Not usually as 'cool looking' but not too far short, either. Many, many varieties to fit different faces. Motorcyclists are required to wear eye-pro here, and I was a machinist at the time, so it all naturally overlapped. Many styles are available in clear and tinted, so that makes day/night transition easier.

So, yeah, part of my EDC, with tons of spares lying around.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I have prescription sunglasses that I wear driving, unless it's actually dark.
I have a second pair that I keep with me in my bag :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh thats a good point. I bought the $3 harbor Freight tinted safety goggles by the dozen before.

I keep a couple pair in my range bag now in case new shooters dont have eyepro with them.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:49 am

Kutter_0311 wrote:I've been wearing tinted ANSI safety glasses for about 13(?) years. Way cheaper than the cool kid shades, and made to a protective standard. Not usually as 'cool looking' but not too far short, either. Many, many varieties to fit different faces. Motorcyclists are required to wear eye-pro here, and I was a machinist at the time, so it all naturally overlapped. Many styles are available in clear and tinted, so that makes day/night transition easier.

So, yeah, part of my EDC, with tons of spares lying around.
I hear ya, but when you're the straight outta basic FNG, you might spend $100 to try to fit in. At least I did anyway. Still got comments like; "oakleys are way better than wileys". A private can never win, such is the way of the world :(
You are
What you do
When it counts.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:41 am

After having laser eye surgery last year, my eyes are still sensitive to bright sunlight and sunny days can be painful without sunnies
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 am

My eyes are sensitive to bright sunlight as well. When driving I have had to pull over as they've started watering badly because of bright sunlight. Sunnies solve that problem.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Niblick wrote:"oakleys are way better than wileys". A private can never win, such is the way of the world :(
QFT, bro! I was lacking in the 'cool shades' area in the Philippines(where it is gawdawful hot and bright in the summer) so I bought some FOakleys(fake Oakleys) on the street for $7. Those survived long enough to gift to my roommate after that UDP. Amazing for cheap rip-offs I only bought as Hangover Helper :lol:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:00 pm

I have needed glasses since I was 18. I always wear polycarbonate glasses and always have sunglasses with me. Sunglasses IMO are a vital tool.

I prefer polarized lenses that are brown or grey to reduce color distortion.

I also like mirror coatings for extreme sunlight conditions at the beach, on the water or in snow. I typically get mirrored glasses with side shields to maximize the sunlight protection.
Last edited by raptor on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:24 pm

I usually go for the blue or greenish-blue polarized lenses. Everything still looks "bright and vivid", but cuts the harsh glare markedly.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PotatoMuncher
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Anything Romero
Zombi 2
etc

Post by PotatoMuncher » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:48 pm

I always have a pair of Half Jackets XLJ in my possession. US Standard Issue always makes them easy to buy.
ZSC:40
Greater New Orleans

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 am

Mampfies wrote:I snagged several pairs of the plastic roll-up dark glasses they give you after eye exams. Don't break, don't take up much room in bags or purses.
This is a really good idea. I will keep the pair next time I get my eyes dialated.

The first time I went snow blind, I was absolutely flummoxed. Never could have believed it. I can handle summer sun OK.

My standard kit has a pair of tinted safety glasses in it with UV filtering. They stay in the truck in an anti-scratch cloth bag, to be transferred over to my go-bag if I leave the truck. I should find a hard case to fit them.

Return to “Other Gear”