Look for new EDC light

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Re: Look for new EDC light

Post by squinty » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:07 pm

http://www.amazon.com/ITP-Cree-SA2-Elum ... B0035HCU62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a similar model that uses cr123a batteries. Can't say enough good about it. On off tailcap switch, bright (mines 220 lumens) separate from the power switch is an easy and intuitive control to switch between three preset brightness levels and strobe, thoughtfully placed "pocket clip" opens towards the rear of flashlight, so the light can be clipped "beam forward" to a hat brim or other flattish surface for hands free operation. Sturdy aluminum body and scratch and fog proof lens, good balance of throw and spill with a small, distinct "hot spot," waterproof enough to survive a "heavy duty" wash cycle in my front loader. Sturdy enough to drop on concrete and just the right size and diameter for use as a yawara, "roll of dimes" in a fist, or kubotan.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

MDCCLXXVI

Post by MDCCLXXVI » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:48 pm

You should not be disappointed with a Preon 2 from 4Sevens.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php ... ts_id=2085" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$45 + free shipping.

AAA x 2.

Purchase an extra twisty tailcap and a Preon 1 body and you can play lego. Can then carry a 2xAAA and have the option of using it as a 1xAAA light for only a few dollars extra.

Its a decent light I'd give mine a 7/10.

The pocket clip could be better and my one has tailcap functionality/water resistance issues, which holds it back from being a 9/10.

With a stronger/longer pocket clip and a confident clicky tailcap it would be superior.

I got mine almost a year ago. Rather it was gifted to me. It is the polished titanium one. The titanium scratches very easily though so the polish will be gone with regular EDC use. Also the rotation of the pocket clip scratches a big ring around the body of the light. In fact I think they discontinued the polished version for this reason. Personally I did not care about the scratching though, its only cosmetic.

EDIT:

Just throwing this out there for you or anybody else who reads ...

My personal EDC is the Preon 2 (on person) and the HDS Systems EDC Rotary, in EDC bag. The Rotary is 200 lumens on turbo and great throwy beam with good spill too, 1xCR123 and 24 different lumen settings controlled by one-handed dial. Its an amazing light, however your $50 budget does not allow for it. Its $190, but waterproof (enough to scuba dive with), literally bomb proof, and much more durable than the Preon. Just had to add that in there.

Its a solid 9/10 light. Lacking only in pocket clip.

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 am

Ive got the Streamlight Stylus Pro that I picked up for 20-30 bucks, I forget. Uses two AAA batteries and has an LED bulb which puts out insane amounts of light at a pretty damn good range.

Tail cap on and off, pocket clip, and so far pretty bomb proof in terms of getting wet and standing up to abuse. I work in a rural EMS system and this is the light that I carry at work with me. It'll light up my small living room clear as day. It fits in to a pocket very easily and stays put snug and secure with the clip.

The only downside is that if you burn through the 50,000 hour bulb, it's not replaceable, and you have to replace the whole light.
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

gunfreak
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland, walking dead

Post by gunfreak » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:28 pm

I like Streamlight led's. Just bought a SL headlamp from brownells and it is great.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 pm

I'll cast my vote for SureFire as well. I'm carrying this: http://www.surefire.com/E2E-Executive-E ... id=3142173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (which is discontinued, 60 lumens). However, I've been using the same one for EDC since 2006 and it was worth the extra expense at the time. So yeah, another plug for considering SureFire.
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

Bad Penny 08
Favorite Zombie Movies: The good ones.
Contrary to popular belief by the tasteless millions you CAN have realism in fiction.
But if you like being spoon fed crap...go right ahead.

Post by Bad Penny 08 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Hermit wrote:I'll cast my vote for SureFire as well. I'm carrying this: http://www.surefire.com/E2E-Executive-E ... id=3142173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (which is discontinued, 60 lumens). However, I've been using the same one for EDC since 2006 and it was worth the extra expense at the time. So yeah, another plug for considering SureFire.
Sure is the standard.
You just can't go wrong.
Deanimator - Bust-a-Bin - zombie-survival-outbreak | IMFDB.Com| Service Manuals
FAL/AR/AK neutral,M-37,.40S&W,CompM3 2MOA,cheesecake,Blue wire,bayonet ambivalent
Comic books are not real life...get over it! | Tuff guy of the year award: "You're really not listening, accountant."

MDCCLXXVI

Post by MDCCLXXVI » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:49 am

SureFire makes good lights, but I'd stay away from their newer offers (6PX, G2X, etc). Build quality and reliability go down and price only goes down a little bit.

I have a 6P, 6PX Pro, and Saint (headlamp). I'm impressed with the 6P and the Saint for the most part, but the 6PX Pro is unremarkable especially considering the price.

If I had the need for it, I would not hesitate to drop $$$ on a E1B, LX2, UB3T, 6P, or Saint/Minimus. But I don't have the need at the moment.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:51 pm

I'll throw in a second vote in for the maglite xl50 as I just got one and so far I'm quite pleased with it, I found it to give of more than enough light on its lowest setting(25%) so the batteries should last a good while as well.

I am looking for a belt holster for it though, preferably one that has a closed bottom to protect the lens(haven't found one yet).
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

phractal

Post by phractal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:33 pm

I modded mine by sewing a piece of webbing across the bottom of the nite ize holster. Never had it fall out since. :wink:
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:09 pm

probably the best random $10 purchase ive made in a long time
http://nebotools.com/prod_details.php?i ... subsubcid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Look for new EDC light

Post by Winston Smith » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Redline is a nice light too, like $20 on amazon
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Return to “Other Gear”