Thrift Shop finds

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jhyatt7

Thrift Shop finds

Post by jhyatt7 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I found this cookware set at a local goodwill for about $12 bucks.
Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.-SFC. David Goldsberry

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Re: Thrift Shop finds

Post by bluesquid » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:18 pm

I love thrift shops. I love not knowing whats in a store, or in store. going into a store like Kohls is torture.

I always search for wool, cookware, and books.

I have been looking in thrift stores forhttp://www.amazon.com/Finding-Winning-E ... 1571671722 forever.
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

phractal

Post by phractal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:14 pm

A little bit ago, I bought my new BOB from a thrift store. Discontinued Jansport 55l hiking pack in like new shape for $10. Much more comfortable than my CFP90 and I'm gonna knock the weight down by about 15-20 pounds in my new BOB. Cheap don't mean it's crap. I love the thrift stores on the island. They're loaded with adventure gear.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

Acquisitor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Acquisitor » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Found a London Bridge medic bag for ten bucks. It was similar to a German medic bag, not a US one, so they priced it that cheap because it wasn't "real" surplus.

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Post by BEar667 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 pm

While at our local GoodWill the wife and I found a 5 piece aluminum mess kit for 2 bucks.
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:56 am

i bough my first leather coat in a thrift shop. it was 15$ and i had it for 4 years. i found so much good stuff there for a dirt cheap price.

never unrated those store.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:45 pm

You all have inspired me. I'm going there now. :) Have a box o crap I have been meaning to get rid of anyway. Will report back any good findings..
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:11 pm

The best way is to hit them up often, if you get to know the staff its even better.

Got a bike jacket for a tenner once and a Fire Service DoT class III torch another time (£2)

Love 'em
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

unslung

Post by unslung » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 pm

I have picked up 8 or 10 good wool blankets over the last 2 years. None of them more than $10. Also 7 pairs of mountain climbing pants, 5.11 , kuhl , royal robins, and Vertx. And a brand new 5.11 winter coat with the tags still hanging from the zipper. I love to rummage through those places.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

jimdawg

Post by jimdawg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

I have found aluminum cookware at my local thrift store. I like looking through their pint glasses too. Find some pretty off the wall logos on some of them. lol. I want to hit the big one in the city this week and see what they have, too. Every time I'm out, I always stop and look if I have the time.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Found two awesome USMC coffe mugs, black marble-look w/ gold EGA'S, for $.25 each. My fave coffe mugs.

Sadly, one is a bit cracked from getting thrown in a fit of rage. Cracked, but not shattered, it earned it's EGA :lol:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm

They had nothing good to report this go round. Some wool sweaters and fleece, but I'm okay in that department. Also, they had no kidding 30 pairs of brand new USGI desert boots. 3 or 4 of those were size 5 1/2 Regular. The rest were all 7 N. That's a lot of 7 N. I'm a 7 Regular, so I tried a pair on but way too tight across the top of my foot. It's alright, I already have two pairs anyway.
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Ok you guys have caught my attention. I donate to thrift stores throughout the year, but I've never thought about looking around in them.

HanShot1st
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days Later, and Resident Evil. Is it shameful that I've never seen Night of the Living Dead?

Post by HanShot1st » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:40 pm

A few days ago I found a pair of strap-on cleats (insert joke here, ha ha) for 80 cents. I don't know what retail would be, but I put them on and tried to slide through some wet clay. My boots would not move. Totally worth it.
Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:59 am

Some of my good finds thru the years;

A USGI Alice frame (grey) with Woodland shoulder straps and kidney pad. Brand new (Still had the supply label on it); $2.50
I'm always finding new USGI boonie hats. I have several that I was issued, but a new desert or woodland one for $.50=sold! Now I have about 10.
Got some reversible desert/night desert gortex pants, new for $3.
Got a complete pilots cold weather suit for $5, also new.
Got a heavy duty water-proof parachute bag for $2.
ACU Top and bottom for $5 (new)

Saw a pair of NEW USMC Coyote brown Bates for $7 (retail $135). Too bad they were a size 8.

Lot's of great stuff to be had, especially living in a military town!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

phractal

Post by phractal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Strangely enough, I don't find too much mil-spec gear, and I'm just down the street from NAS Whidbey. On the bright side though, Whidbey Island is an adventure destination and is home to hikers and kayakers and fisherman and so on. I get a lot of REI stuffs.

SoCalDep

Post by SoCalDep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:38 pm

My wife is a big thrifter and antiquer. Initially I found some vintage military stuff and occasional books, but here is a sampling of some of our better finds over the past few years:

Gavin Debecker "The Gift of Fear" (great book on self defense mindset)

Recon Mountaineer Trauma bag containing several military trauma first aid items (decompression needles, IBDs, kurlix, OPAs, etc....) for $30...BEST FIND EVER!!!...The bag is worth three times that alone!

Toaster oven for my kydex hobby

DVDs

Uniform Pants for my job

GHB windbreaker

Cargo Pants

Normal clothing for much cheaper than normal (thus allowing larger prep/gun budget)

That's all I can think of for now...

Mbelasko12

Post by Mbelasko12 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Latest find was a pair of Sorel Snowmobile boots for $15 bucks, barely used.

phractal

Post by phractal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Latest find yersterday, Carhartt Artic Duck Traditional coat. Like new. $20

Leave it to the Miss to have a good eye.

OhioKaos

Post by OhioKaos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

phractal wrote:Latest find yersterday, Carhartt Artic Duck Traditional coat. Like new. $20
That IS a great find! Wow! May have to go a "thift'n"...damn you guys!
OhioKaos wrote:Talk is cheap because supply always exceeds demand. ~ unknown
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:If you have nothing to add other than speculation and your personal biases, fuck off. If you have something constructive to add, feel free.

Teqnikal
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land, AAAAAAAH ZOMBIES!!!

Post by Teqnikal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 pm

So far my best thrift store find was a new-ish military cammo jacket. (The digital cammo) I paid 5 bucks for it. When I took it home it had ten bucks in the pocket.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Just noting that if you ever want a horrible thrift store experience, go to one with me :) I have bad thrift store luck/karma. Even the basement of Deek and Bryan's Next Adventure (a thrift store for kayakers and hikers) was full of random frayed straps and ripped backpacks the day I showed up.

I did get a nice pair of dress shoes one time from a Value Village. Was the day before I started my job here at the firm. I did not have dress shoes so I took my last $10 and rode my bike to VV and found some really nice ones for $7. Lasted me a year before they fell apart. Another time I found a toaster... brand new, but it had a brand new price tag too.

Now, our boy Lenny, he's the king. Before he got that job out in Astoria he was a house Dad and would hit up the Goodwill bins in Hillsboro. He has found trekking poles, a nice safe, sleds, tools... you name it.

I donated most of my Dungeons and Dragons 3.0 and 3.5 books to Goodwill a few years ago when I was paring down. I found out later that people were selling those in lots for $300-$400. I had enough books for about 2 lots.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:45 pm

USMCSergeant wrote:Ok you guys have caught my attention. I donate to thrift stores throughout the year, but I've never thought about looking around in them.
You're not 7 N in desert boot are you ? :D

Nij-bow. Promise me you'll stay over there, I don't need that kind of karma when charity shopping :wink:
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

jimdawg

Post by jimdawg » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 pm

Just found a stainless steel pint cup for $.97 today. Gonna go in the cooking kit. Many uses for it. Also found an Adidas water bottle made from lexan.

Return to “Other Gear”