Color difference in gear

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

blarp
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking-dead

Re: Color difference in gear

Post by blarp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:55 am

IM Running an ACU Molle vest i got from the army...

i have Woodland ACU and black pouchs.. im not picky when i can save 5-10 bucks per Pouch it adds up fast if u think aboult it i have 8 or 9 pouch's on my molle vest... i used my savings to order other thigns like Bullets so i can reload ammo!!

when while i was Deployed i ran Bloack and tan colors on my ACU vest. i dident like most the pouchs the army gave me many in my unit did not and we bought out oun stuff here and there. so it was more personaly and easy for each of us.

all i gota say is buy/use what u want to make it best for you... When/If zombie Outbrake happens do you really think a ACU pouch on a woodland vest is whats going to give you away?

polliedes

Post by polliedes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:44 am

I try to go with black and then use Blue phone wire as an accent on my weapons' handles.
:)

In reality, my gear is whatever was cheaper at the time: coyote, woodland camo, OD, etc. the fashion police would definitely be all over me.
ICRS EMTB

OhioKaos

Post by OhioKaos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:08 am

Two thoughts on this topic (it's a good one, too, btw):

1) The "fashionista" type thread above ("Operator Guy" or what not) is absolutely fucking HYSTERICAL! Thanks for the laugh.

2) Another "group" that I have had the honor and pleasure of training with has some pretty strong feelings about "make sure your BDU can in no way shape or form be confused with that of an enemy foreign national on American soil". I know that this is the "Zombie Squad" but one of the "disasters" that we are prepping for, IMHO, is invasion. The Second Ammendment loving Patriot will have no problem putting up serious resistance with or without our standing National Guard and rank and file military if we are invaded. Make sure if you're out there that you have something to show you are an AMERICAN when you start buying Eastern European surplus...

Two cents inserted here.
OhioKaos wrote:Talk is cheap because supply always exceeds demand. ~ unknown
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:If you have nothing to add other than speculation and your personal biases, fuck off. If you have something constructive to add, feel free.

jhyatt7

Post by jhyatt7 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:47 pm

The bottom line is simple, is it functional? My military gear is of one color, my civilian bugout gear in various patterns, but all pouches and molle gear is functional for what i need.
Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.-SFC. David Goldsberry

GunnerMax

Post by GunnerMax » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:05 pm

Ok guys, thank you for your responses. I hAve a mix of ACU, tan, and OD green. I think it will mix good. I will, in no way, be able tobe mixed with some foreign nation. If SHTF ill supplement my rig with my issued level IV gear, with helmet.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:24 pm

The non-gray, gray man approach.
If it looks like your in uniform then you must be supported by an organization/agency.
If it looks like you just went on a big shopping spree at the surplus store then you're no better equipped than the next guy.

Summary:
all matching camo = prime target
non-matching camo = lesser target

OhioKaos

Post by OhioKaos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Necrodamus wrote::
all matching camo = prime target
non-matching camo = lesser target
I don't know how this would apply in the heat of battle. Field indentification is important of course (friend or foe, see above) but I don't think an opposing force would go as far as "prime vs. lesser". They would just plant you, pretty clothes or not. My two cents.
OhioKaos wrote:Talk is cheap because supply always exceeds demand. ~ unknown
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:If you have nothing to add other than speculation and your personal biases, fuck off. If you have something constructive to add, feel free.

Warlock53
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series, I am Legend, and the Original Omega man.

Post by Warlock53 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Camo is all about breaking up patterns, and blending into the enviroment.
I live in the desert type western US, so I went with older DCU camo, and FDE/ Coyote.
Don't want to look too Soldier like so 5.11 Khaki pants with Brown or mossy oak top/coat would be Ok for summer and winter or Woodland camo with Forest Green pants during green season, add a little local dirt on it is good enough for Country boy/Farmer or City Derelict in the immortal words of Obi Wan "These are not the Droids you are looking for". Remember when moving or at close range nothing works!!
Last edited by Warlock53 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bring em on

GunnerMax

Post by GunnerMax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:15 am

Ok,

I am going to raise this topic from the grave (I am origional poster)

I have completed, spare 1 type of item, my SHTF/Fighting rig ordering.

I have, still, a mixture of coyote tan, ranger green, OD green, ACU, MARPAT, AOR2 Woodland, and Multicam gear. I have decided on the tan, green, and ACU gear to spray paint it using references, leaves, pine needles, and sticks from the surrounding areas to ensure year-round effectiveness. It will have a mix of green and brown, with some orange/red. A tad bit of black. Thank you for your input, and I will make sure to update this post when I am done with the setup come summertime.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 am

Just remember, black does not occur naturally in nature.

wow, I just realized that was a horrible sentence.....

OP, what is your location? It may help us solve your problem. I used coyote when I lived in Texas, and I am switching to foliage now that I am in Washington. I would switch to OD green, but I feel foliage works better year round.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

GunnerMax

Post by GunnerMax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Far east USA. in middle of it all

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:31 pm

In the industry it's called Target Indicator Black. That name didn't come about by accident.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”