Color difference in gear

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GunnerMax

Color difference in gear

Post by GunnerMax » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:52 pm

Gents/Women,

I am just starting my SHTF tactical gear collection, but I am limited (due to price and availability) to having my gear be different color.

Some are ACU, some are Olive Drab, some are woodland, some are Tan.

I live in the city, with no real camo setup being perfect. I actually think the mix will be beneficial.

dont expect to stay in the city, but be mobile to wherever I might go.

I see other sets with all ACU, but thats just too damn expensive to keep everything ACU...

What do you guys think? I

Towanda

Re: Color difference in gear

Post by Towanda » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:19 pm

As long as your gear works for you, color coördination doesn't matter much.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:28 pm

mixed up stuff = red neck multicam.

Mines a mix of what was on sale at the time I bought it plus what I traded for. Various makes mean different things by coyote brown and olive green, anyway.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Various colours/patterns of gear = average joe using what's available/affordable.

Full matching military camo= dude playing army.

Just my opinion.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

sawgunner0311

Post by sawgunner0311 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:40 pm

As long as your gear works for you,, cam patern dont matter much,Not like your rolling out with the First Marine Div. Looking less like an actual soilder might be a good thing in real world shft scenarios, it could be the soilders are the zombies in real life.
Marine artillery brings dignity to what otherwise is just a brawl.

Rob Salem
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Rob Salem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm

My EDC/GHB stuff tends to be black. I'm a little picky about it, but at the moment I'm pretty much a WalMart prepper so it's not that expensive for me to picky when it comes to looks. My BOB/INCH stuff tends to be RealTree AP Hardwoods or Max-4 with a little Mossy Oak mixed in. My BOB gear is my hunting gear first, doubling as an extended BOB (that could probably be pushed to an INCH set up with some work). The way I figure it though, survival isn't about fashion it's about survival and functionality. What I have is what I use. I'm new to prepping and making due with what I have but I already know that stuff will be changing (first priorty will be a BOB pack upgrade - bigger with more utility) as my resources and priorities allow.
In conflict, we do not rise to the level our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. - Archilocus, 650 BC

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Sometimes I get a little anal about my gear and want to make it all one color or pattern, my "war belt" is now all Multicam. :mrgreen: I still have a mix of black, OD green, Coyote brown, MARPAT, etc stuff. As long as you aren't required to have your gear a certain color/pattern (like for work or something) I wouldn't worry too much.

If it does bother you too much you can always dye or dust with spray paint to give you the color you want. I've done that with some ACU pouches on my plate carrier (I use my PC at work so I have to have it and the pouches on it be specific colors :wink: ).

Priest0817

Post by Priest0817 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:10 pm

like Big B I am a bit asinine about my gear. But it doesn't really matter. all my stuff is matching but I use all of my stuff for my job get to write all of it off as business expense. before I had the job I do now most of my kit was mismatched. I have never been able to stomach ACU though, but Rit dye will fix that for very little money. You can grow into better kit later. I did. and end up donating my old stuff to friends or family members that are prepping and just starting out. it is a good way to build friendship and in the end strong friendships will be the best preps of all

SouthPAW

Post by SouthPAW » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:15 pm

The important new looks in tactical fashion for this season is definitely the "gear acquired by high speed/low drag operator over years of ops" look.

Woodland and tigerstripe camo are sooooo Vietnam, and the old style desert camo are sooooo Desert storm, so, this years fashion conscious operators are either wearing the new ACU pattern trousers, or a neutral earth tone 5.11 cargo pant. Couple that with a coyote tan t-shirt, and tan chest rig, with a nice tan, or tan/black shemagh to complete the whole "Blackwater" look.

Thigh rigs are about as fashionable as parachute pants these days, so be sure to put your glock 19 (you do have a glock 19, don't you? That would be like J-Lo without a Prada bag) in a chest rig mounted kydex holster.

Next, you must make sure that your boots don't clash with your Kifaru ruck; If you have black boots, any color ruck will do; but, if you have tan boots, try to not have a black ruck. Also, eye color and skin tone need to be taken into consideration. If you have darker skin, avoid black, and try to go with more earthtones. If you have light colored eyes, a tan shemagh will do wonders to bring out their natural brilliance.

Also, remember to pick sunglasses that not only protect your eyes, but frame your face properly. They can really make or break your whole outfit.

That's your fashion tip for the week from "Operators eye, for the civilian guy".

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 pm

SouthPAW wrote:That's your fashion tip for the week from "Operators eye, for the civilian guy".
highlarious
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

DeadCanadian

Post by DeadCanadian » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 am

Most of my urban gear is black so a lot of my woods gear ends up being black too, but if not black then green or brown. I don't like blaze orange Thermarests and yellow tents. My North Face Cat's Meow has a fair amount of blue but I had no choice in that, I pick by quality and meeting my needs first and colour last.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:12 am

I was going over some gear last night and decided, in a SHTF scenario, foliage, OD, and tan would roughly add up to woodland.

When I'm buying pouches, I usually hold out until somewhere is having a sale. Spec-ops ran a large sale over the summer, I picked up tan mag pouches. 5.11 ran a sale on OD for ridiculous prices shortly after. Tac gear is one of those things that you only Need if you use it for work. If you don't Need it then you don't need it to match.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:19 am

Mine is green-for 2 reasons. One, I live in the northeast-green is pretty damned prevalent here. Two, its cheap-cheaper than anything patterned. And ALWAYS on sale. I just cannot tell the difference between green, foliage, OD green, or Ranger green-so, it may be mismatched, but its all green (I am colorblind, and have a hard time differentiating shades).
Besides, anything that doesnt match, will, after a liberal application of Krylon.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:26 am

oldsoldier wrote:Besides, anything that doesnt match, will, after a liberal application of Krylon.
Or mud. :lol:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Most of my gear is coyote because the vegetation around here is brown in winter and brown in summer. And the soot from burned up trees makes it own pattern when it rubs all over whatever you are wearing.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Bonecrusher Doc

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:56 am

sawgunner0311 wrote:As long as your gear works for you,, cam patern dont matter much,Not like your rolling out with the First Marine Div. Looking less like an actual soilder might be a good thing in real world shft scenarios, it could be the soilders are the zombies in real life.
Not long ago many of the "actual soldiers" had all sorts of mismatching gear, especially in garrison. Will probably happen again soon.
Bonecrusher Doc wrote: I'd say this has at least a little justification as a mental exercise.
JamesCannon wrote:Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

Vidar

Post by Vidar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 am

I think ACU is ugly and gimmicky and not practical as a working camouflage. If you're going to pay extra for cammo patterns, stick with ATACS or Multicam. I have different kits, some being based on Flat Dry Earth, others black and others still Foliage, and so far have managed to avoid all that stuff. Sure there's variances in color from different companies and it all wears differently in exposure to sun and sweat, but if you really want to preserve it I suggest spraying it down with 303. Its an aviation product that protects nylon from UV rays and will keep the colors true. Much of camouflage is about breaking up your image, not just 'blending in' to natural colors. The only issue I can see with mismatched color kit is drawing attention through your motion. At that point I don't think the color of your kit is going to matter much anyway.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
oldsoldier wrote:Besides, anything that doesnt match, will, after a liberal application of Krylon.
I dont get my gear dirty!!!!!!!!
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 pm

oldsoldier wrote:Mine is green-for 2 reasons. One, I live in the northeast-green is pretty damned prevalent here. Two, its cheap-cheaper than anything patterned. And ALWAYS on sale.
This for me, all my stuff is some sort of OD and it works well with all sorts of camo patterns that I use based on the season or AO.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:46 pm

I will generously offer to buy your old, outdated gear for $.10 on the dollar, so you guys can recycle some of your funding for the newest stuff.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Doc Torr wrote:I will generously offer to buy your old, outdated gear for $.10 on the dollar, so you guys can recycle some of your funding for the newest stuff.
$.11, and I'll cover shipping. :twisted:
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:30 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:I will generously offer to buy your old, outdated gear for $.10 on the dollar, so you guys can recycle some of your funding for the newest stuff.
$.11, and I'll cover shipping. :twisted:
Alright. I make it 15 cents on the dollar, and I'll cover shipping as well.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:40 pm

I used to run coyote on everything when I lived in Texas, now I live in Washington and I am switching everything over to Foliage/Ranger Green. But I'm still not afraid to mix and match both colors on the same gear. It's really more of a preference thing, I just have a better excuse to run Foliage now, which I like more anyways.

But in response to your ACU cost issue, I'm sure it will be dropping more in price here shortly after the military transitions away from it completely.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:00 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
Or dust... like adventure dust and not sitting on the closet shelf dust.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Return to “Other Gear”