working gear. (get in shape)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rjm

working gear. (get in shape)

Post by rjm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14 am

I just had a major wake up. I've never been one of those ninja types who try to fly through windows and do backflips over cars while dodging bullets. I put on my MAV2 with 6 AK mags and tried to go from one building on our land to another(@300yds) It whiped me out. Granted I have alergies and at 40 I don't feel too bad about being beaten by 18yr olds, but I was shocked to find how much air I was sucking down. This is humiliating. I just watched that movie "Tough Guys" and even though I'm far from their situation, it's still on my mind.
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."

Quartermaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Re: working gear. (get in shape)

Post by Quartermaster » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:44 am

Check out my post entitled "Develop the First Weapon" to give you some idea of the problems confronting a 51 year old trying to get back in shape following long illness and some injuries.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:13 am

Yeah, MilCopp was a bit rough on me! Gotta get used to moving with your fighting gear...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:39 am

i started to get into shape cause of this lol
so now i go on a 2.5 mile run/jog/walk with around 15-30 pounds, i change it up a just to keep something different.
i mean i am not running now through it but it is getting easier lol
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:18 am

I had my wake up call today...out pheasant hunting. :shock:
:(

We had to climb this hill to get to a pheasant. MAN! I was so incredibly winded. :shock:

Guns are icky!

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Rule #1 ;) It doesn't take much. Get that heart rate up and keep it up for 20 mins at least 3 times a week and you'll see improvement in no time.

foxx

Post by foxx » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:21 am

Don't forget to stretch.

PsycoBob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by PsycoBob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:37 am

Soon as my knee finishes healing, I'll be dragging my sorry ass to the gym. New-year specials ftw!

As a minor note, a work-out buddy is important- noone wants to be the one to wimp out & not go. Remember alternative workouts- help Dad split & stack firewood next year. :D

rpmoore
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by rpmoore » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:51 am

Personally, I ride my bike to improve my endurance. If you apply a intervalscheme, you improve your stamina by a whole lot!
You never need to go longer distances if you found your ideal distance, as you can just change to a harder gear when you feel it doesn't exhaust you enough.
"They're all going to end up like that. Bio-mechanical weapons driven by meat batteries. Never have to be fed or recharged. They just keep going...going."

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Ah yes, Rule # 1.

http://youtu.be/aUaInS6HIGo

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:18 am

"War is run. In war, if you cant run, you die."- Kikuchiyo

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Jeffcee wrote:"War is run. In war, if you cant run, you die."- Kikuchiyo
QFT, baby! As much as I hated the Daily Death-Run, I have no doubt it saved some lives.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

MDCCLXXVI

Post by MDCCLXXVI » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Good thread, always like ones that raise awareness on fitness.

Poignant reminder for us younger guys as well to keep in shape and not take good health and physical ability for granted. I try to go for a 1hr walk or 30 minute run on the beach a few times a week.

Fairly muscular from strength training over the last few years, however I could use a little more cardiovascular fitness. I'm scheduled for heavy squats this evening at the gym, maybe I'll jump on the treadmill or head down to the beach for some cardio afterwards (its a b14tch after leg training!).

Just as an idea for you folks, tonight I'm putting 345lbs on my back and doing deep (hammies to calves!!!) squats for 15 reps. It gets the heart rate up to max but not for very long. Doing this trains one modality but fails to train for long distance weighted marching, a la heavy-pack hiking. Gotta train 100m sprints, 30 min runs and 2hr uphill walks (treadmill) as well. Im not as diligent as I should be with the cardio though, I'm sure most of you guys who train can understand. 30 minute jog scares me far more than loading up 345lbs onto my shoulders!

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I always skipped treadmills. I found just plain running and doing stairs gave my calves and glutes a much better workout. Somewhere there's a study floating around the net about the difference in muscle mass and bone density that develops differently between actually running and running on a treadmill. If I find it I'll post a link to it.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:48 pm

Arkane, Please do, it might even settle a long running debate for me
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:Arkane, Please do, it might even settle a long running debate for me
Haven't been able to find it (IIRC it was a Canadian paper about a Swedish study of the effects of different trianing regimnies on the body as it ages). The gist of the paper was that treadmills were great for developing anerobic capacity and limiting damage on joints as you get older but do little to stimulate bone density growth and tended to lag behind actual running in developing muscle mass. It was pretty unbiased but it reinforced the noition I've had since the first time I hopped on a treadmill which is it isn't the same nor as arduos a workout.

Omega DR
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Night of the Living Dead(1990), The Zombie Dairies, 28 Days Later

Post by Omega DR » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:54 pm

DarkandShiny wrote:Ah yes, Rule # 1.

http://youtu.be/aUaInS6HIGo
Outstanding video, thanks for sharing!!! One thing I've started doing is taking my BOB with me on 3 to 4 mile hikes, 2 times a weeks, in addition to my regular workouts. It's a short distances, but after a few trips it made me realize I need to switch bags, number 1 and improve my footwear, number 2.

MDCCLXXVI

Post by MDCCLXXVI » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:01 pm

One thing a treadmill is useful for is its incline feature. Outside, I'd be hard-pressed to find a place where I could run non-stop up a slight incline for half an hour. There are some hills, but none as long as 30 mins on 5.0 incline treadmill.

The only place outside to run continuously here is either a track or the beach. A track isn't much fun to run on, and the beach is useful but not perfect. Either you run on the dry sand which is very hard, good for anaerobic activity but not for aerobic training. Or, you run on the hard sand near the water, in which case the slope of the beach means one leg is fully extending while the other is not (like running sideways along a hill). It puts a lot of stress onto one leg and not both equally. Aside from that, its quite pleasant due to strong constant breeze. Just wish it was closer to home.

So yeah, treadmill has its uses.

There are some concerns with them but hey, running on a treadmill, while probably inferior to running on a track, is better than sitting on a couch.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:36 am

A treadmill is also a great place to start if you have joint damage, as well. I broke my ankle a few years ago, and don't PT much. Limited flexibility in that ankle makes a hard run on pavement very painfull, if I don't spend a few days loosening it up on a treadmill first. Overall, treadmills have some kind of cushioning effect that lightens the impact on your joints. This is a lifesaver for those of us who have really started to notice the age/mileage we've racked up...

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:18 pm

My left ankle is quite sore after a long run last Sunday. So yesterday I went to the gym and got on the StairMaster. I've never spent any time on one and it was a great workout and very low impact compared to jogging/running. The machine told me I did 100 floors in 17 minutes which is 2 miles and ~400 calories. Who knows how accurate that is but it seems like a quick way to burn off that pastrami burger I had for lunch.

praharin

Post by praharin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 pm

MDCCLXXVI wrote:One thing a treadmill is useful for is its incline feature. Outside, I'd be hard-pressed to find a place where I could run non-stop up a slight incline for half an hour. There are some hills, but none as long as 30 mins on 5.0 incline treadmill.
One thing to remember about running on a treadmill, even with the incline, you are not running up hill.

I'll be honest, I cannot stand to run on a treadmill. I have access to an indoor track that's 1/8 mile and would rather do that than the treadmill. I can't handle moving without moving, if you know what I mean.
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Return to “Other Gear”