New Backpack (daypack) needed for travel, etc.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

1200RT-P

New Backpack (daypack) needed for travel, etc.

Post by 1200RT-P » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:00 pm

I have a Kelty daypack that i've had for years. Love the bag, but its starting to show its age.

Here is what I'm looking for:

- not a tactical backpack. i have enough tactical type gear. this bag is mainly used for travel and day trips to carry necessary gear. i prefer a 'stealth' look.
- i love pockets and organization type things.
- doesn't need to be huge. normally it would be stuffed with an extra fleece or rain cost, small first aid kit, water bottle, whatever.
- would love Made in USA.

Any help?

MichaelM

Re: New Backpack (daypack) needed for travel, etc.

Post by MichaelM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:54 am

I just recently picked up a North Face Angstrom 30, and it's pretty awesome.

I normally carry something like:

two 1L water bottles
FAK
fleece
basic hiking stuff (bug spray, sun block, etc)
Clif Bars and such (2 or 3)
extra socks

It's a little bigger than I really need, but I like that. If I were overnighting somewhere with it, I could pretty easily jam in a change of clothes without a problem. It's hydration bladder compatible, but the bladder compartment is set up similar to a lap-top slot, so you could fit one inside very easily.

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Stick with Kelty! Great Bag's. Look at REI! Get something that will fit your size and needs. Always add a little bigger then needed but not too big. I compartmentalize my things with size appropriate ziplock freezer bags (Sams) I agree on the non-tactical look especially in an urban areas. I like gray or other down colors that do not attract undo attention to me or the bag. Should have a waist belt. You may not use it all the time, but great to have if your on the run.
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 am

What's the budget?

NXP

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:44 pm

there really wasn't a budget ....

I ended up with a Kelty PEREGRINE 29, $70 from US Cav. I was surprised at the price, i was planning on spending 3 times as much. The bag seems great, good origination in the admin pouch, main pocket is a great size, straps are very comfortable, etc. Seems like a great bag. Only thing is non-USA made, but I couldn't come up with anything i liked that was made in the 'States.

Great pack.

http://www.kelty.com/p-265-peregrine-29.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:40 pm

1200RT-P, the pack you describe wanting is made by The North Face. It's their Surge model. To make mine even more low profile, I took a black permanent marker to the white name stitching and the two small reflective panels. Mine is used daily in a professional environment without comment from my co-workers. Campmor has the best price. Usual disclaimers.

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:27 pm

My cousin gave me a small eddie bauer bag. I love it! Its very tough to surprisingly. Ive used it from putting clothes in it to a range bag when i go shooting. Although its more of a duffel bag i think its very useful. Im sure its pretty cheap to.

EmbraceTheHate
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:29 pm

1200RT-P wrote:there really wasn't a budget ....

I ended up with a Kelty PEREGRINE 29, $70 from US Cav. I was surprised at the price, i was planning on spending 3 times as much. The bag seems great, good origination in the admin pouch, main pocket is a great size, straps are very comfortable, etc. Seems like a great bag. Only thing is non-USA made, but I couldn't come up with anything i liked that was made in the 'States.

Great pack.

http://www.kelty.com/p-265-peregrine-29.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could you give us some pictures of it opened and what not. Nice pack! I may consider it now....lol

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:36 pm

sorry for the delay - i'll take some pictures shortly.

in the meantime, here is a youtube video i found which was useful when making my decision. They are calling it the Kelty 1800. As I understand it, the origional name was the Kelty 1800 and the name was changed to PEREGRINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am29ZDyWCtM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beachmaster

Post by beachmaster » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 pm

I love my osprey argon 1700 pack! It is amazing! If the military could afford to issue something like that, they would make money by saving on dissability lol. It isnt really tactical, but it is green and brown... i brought it to a field rotation one day... my chain of command wasnt to happy LOL too bad

Return to “Other Gear”