Just Returned from Flashlight World

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Just Returned from Flashlight World

Post by ratz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:14 pm

Wow... in my search for my EDC, BoB and BiB flashlights I was introduced to the world of "flashaholics" or avid collectors of flashlights where I learned about everything flashlight from LEDs to incandescents; and AA to 18650 batteries. Very cool!

Based on my research on several flashlight enthusiast forums, I made a few purchases which added to what I had already purchased before I was "enlightened".

From left to right:

Dollar Store 3X LED (2-D): Produces about 15 lumens through 3 LED's. Works fine, low output but what can you expect for a $1? May replace this with my 3D Maglite. [Automobile Emergency Kit]

Duracell Daylite (2-AA): Single Mode, focusing 80 lumen light. Picked this up at Costco for $9. Great price but when I went back to get more the following week, they were all gone and haven't seen them since. Thank goodness because there are many lights with greater output for about the same amount of money. [Wife's GHB]

SolarForce L2r (2-AA): Three mode (Hi-Med-Lo) 320 lumen light. Our first mid-range light that my wife keeps this on her nightstand and will serve as her primary light in an emergency. Great, well built light, feels nice in the hand with good balance. [Wife's Nightstand/BoB]

Streamlight Sylus Pro (2-AAA): Single mode, 48 lumen light. C4 Led. Super light penlight nice focused beam. Looking for a 15mm diffuser to cut down the light when required. [Alpha FAK]

OSH Housebrand LED (3-AAA): Single mode, 60 lumen light. Came bundled with a headlamp for about $10. Nice "chunky" light. [VGHB]

4Sevens Quark X 123^2 (2-CR123A or 1-17670): 360 lumen XM-L LED. 5 - output modes (max-hi-med-lo-moonlight) PLUS 3- strobe modes (SOS, Beacon, Strobe) with level memory. My first and only higher end light. Beautifully crafted. Bought this primarily for the "moonlight" mode which produces about .2 lumens of light. I wanted a light with a low enough output not to shock the eyes when it comes on, not draw too much attention while providing adequate light to read in. Small enough to serve as a mounted shotgun/rifle light. Just plain awesome! 8-) [My Nightstand/BoB]

Ultrafire M2 CREE R5 (1-AA or 1-14500): 280 lumen 6-mode (hi-med-low-SOS-beacon-strobe). At $18 this is an awesome little light. Well built. [EDC]

Streamlight Nano (4-button): 10 lumen keychain light. [Wife's EDC / Daughter's GHAT]

There's several flashlight centric forums on the net but I wanted to point one out for special mention. The members over at Budget Light Forum are extremely welcoming, generous with their advice, easy on newbs (like me) and a fun crowd. They prove that there are a lot of high performance flashlights to be had at a great price.

Looking to round out our needs with a nightstand light for the daughter and a big thrower for our BoB.

phractal

Re: Just Returned from Flashlight World

Post by phractal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm partial to CandlePowerForums.com. 8-)

That Ultrafire M2 CREE R5 is a bad ass light. One of my Urbexer buddies has one. I wan't to get one for my EDC but the girlfriend says I dont need another light. (Currently, I EDC a Mag XL100. Great light, but packed with more features than it needs and the interface is more complicated than it should be.)
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Post by ratz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm

phractal wrote:I'm partial to CandlePowerForums.com. 8-)

That Ultrafire M2 CREE R5 is a bad ass light. One of my Urbexer buddies has one. I wan't to get one for my EDC but the girlfriend says I dont need another light. (Currently, I EDC a Mag XL100. Great light, but packed with more features than it needs and the interface is more complicated than it should be.)
CPF is definitely worth lurking into. In fact, it's where I got most of my research info for my 4Sevens decision.

The Ultrafire M2 is an awesome light and I'd recommend it as an EDC to anyone. The XL100 was one I was considering but with all of the various wrist gyrations that the UI required and the price point, there were a number of lights out there for a half the price and the various modes were accessible with just a half click. Flashlights r fun but it's a deep rabbit hole for sure. A guy could spend a lot of money on lights. :lol:

phractal

Post by phractal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

When I bought the XL100, it was purely an impulse buy. It was one of those rare times I was on the mainland and I was at Target looking for a better urbex light to replace my 2C mag. Originally, I had planned on buying an Innova X5 but when I saw that XL100, all pretty looking like an oversized Mag Solitare, I couldn't stop myself.

It took a while to figure out how the interface worked but once I did, I loved it. The light has a memory so whatever you last left a setting on, it will remember for the next time you use it.

For example. If I set the brightness at a certain level, or the strobe at a certain speed, when I go to use those again later, they will be right where I left em.

One thing I've come to dislike about it is that the whole light is a 1" cylinder. Nice and compact but with no flair in the bell so it liked to try to slip out the bottom of my nite-ize universal holster. (I later modded the holster so it couldn't slip.)

I wish Mag had introduced it with a holster of it's own, but oh well.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

sdg

Post by sdg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:49 pm

phractal wrote:I'm partial to CandlePowerForums.com. 8-)
Been there, done that. I now have a pile of Surefires to show for it... love them.

Return to “Other Gear”