Tactical Pup

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mainstreamer

Tactical Pup

Post by Mainstreamer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Sooo, as I get closer to moving out of my dad's house (feckin' FINALLY!) I plan on getting a dog. I want either a Shiba Inu OR a black and tan. Opinions??
We all have stories we'll never tell
Man is designed so when something fires his soul, impossibilities vanish

ao17mc

Re: Tactical Pup

Post by ao17mc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Always had the best luck with mutts the Heinz 57 dog.

xombiechow
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn (original), Day (original), LOTD Shaun, 28 Days, Versus, Fido!

Post by xombiechow » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

ao17mc wrote:Always had the best luck with mutts the Heinz 57 dog.

I second the mutt decision...go down to the pound and search until you find one that has the qualities you're looking for. ;) And be sure you have time to take care of it. :)
"I aim to misbehave..."
D-Train wrote:You had me at "post-apocalyptic".

jare-3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Definitely go with a shelter rescue dog. If you look hard enough, you may even find the breed you want. But more importantly, you're giving a solid companion a second chance on life. I look at it this way: dogs are inherently loyal, I adopted my GSD after she had been abandonned, adopted and returned. I get the usual doggie loyalty, plus the "Thank You" loyalty that comes from rescuing her and treating her well. My 2 cents.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 pm

jare-3 wrote:Definitely go with a shelter rescue dog. If you look hard enough, you may even find the breed you want. But more importantly, you're giving a solid companion a second chance on life. I look at it this way: dogs are inherently loyal, I adopted my GSD after she had been abandonned, adopted and returned. I get the usual doggie loyalty, plus the "Thank You" loyalty that comes from rescuing her and treating her well. My 2 cents.

^ This 100%. Both my dogs are shelter dogs, and they are awesome. Our newest addition is part German Shepard and part Chow. She's turning into a good little guard dog :)

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

phractal

Post by phractal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:35 pm

My black lab, chow mix is a shelter dog. He's only 8 months old but we're working on Schutzhund training. He came house broke, and was crate trained in a day. He was only 6 months when we got him.

It will be a few years before he's proficient in all his skills but he's already one hell of dog. (And he can already take down my bigger buddies pretty quick) It just takes patience and time and you can make a protection detail dog outta any decent sized mut.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Another +1 on a shelter dog. I worked in a shelter where we didn't euthanize for space, but some of those poor dogs just need a home and a yard. All of the pedigreed dogs will be bought and have a home, but you have a chance to save a dog instead. Will it be exactly as you dreamed? Probably not, but as soon as you get it home you'll forget about all of that and you'll never look back. Also, you'd be surprised what sort of dogs shelters get if you don't mind waiting a month or two.

The oddest thing we had were over 10+ Great Pyrenees come through in the 15 months I was there. You wouldn't think they'd be that popular in Texas, I guess they're protective of herds or something.
/csb
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

phractal

Post by phractal » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Ya, My lab/chow was a surrender to the shelter from a navy guy what got shipped off. We have a naval air station up island. He sure loved that dog. That dog has no fear. (except maybe of balloons) Sometimes even well trained and loved dogs end up in shelters. We got him the day after he was surrendered.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:14 am

Last two dogs we got for the parents were shelter dogs. The last, a blue heeler, is smart as a heart attack and watchs over the folks.... They are 86+ and I don't think they would still be here but for the dogs...

So, ya, check the shelter.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

SouthPAW

Post by SouthPAW » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 am

I think the shelter dog idea is great! I think I got some much needed karma points for rescuing a few dogs who ended up being great family members. You guys who also rescued dogs get cool points in my book, and hopefully, a few checks on the plus side of the great ledger in the sky. (if one actually exists :lol: )

But, another thing you can do which is in a similar vein is to find a rescue for whatever breed you are looking for. We got a great black and tan dobie from a rescue years ago.

At any rate, whatever you do, DO NOT get one from a puppy mill, or from some asshole who breeds dogs in his backyard for extra money. These are usually the pricks who try to get several hundred bucks a piece for puppies on craigslist. Flag those scumbags!

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:45 am

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:27 am

I'll join the "get a mutt" dogpile :lol: The family experience is that a mutt/crossbreed also has fewer health problems than purebred. I'm sure your new place has space for a dog, of course, one of our "rescues" was lab living in a 1 room apartment whose adoring owners both worked long hours.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

wolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: NLD

Post by wolf » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:32 am

That's a great pic! If it's not photo shopped - kudos to one very obliging pup!

Rescues and shelter dogs are great. I have two rescues - an American Staffordshire - incredibly smart and atheletic - sweet as pie, and an American Bulldog - stubborn as the day is long, sweet and stronger than I would think possible - They are both great. Good luck and hope you bring a good dog a new lease on life!

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I vote for American Bulldog. I would say to get a shelter dog, But I have had some issues in the past with them.

My Bulldog being confused by a balloon.

Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:28 pm

I vote for the ultimate PAW dog..
the Rhodesian Ridgeback
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs ... eback.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My little dude Ranger:
Will grow up to look like his dad, all 120lbs of him:
WWSD?

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Definitely get a shelter dog, all of my dogs have been either roadside pickup or shelter dogs, and I've had the best of luck with them.

Anyhow my vote goes to Queensland Collie

Get one of them, a sawed off shotgun and a leather jacket with one sleeve rolled up, and you are set for the apocalypse.

Seriously though, Bill (who was a roadside pickup) has been the best, most loyal dog I've ever had.

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:38 pm

Standard poodle. Super smart. Keep the fur cut close to avoid any foo foo.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Tully305

Post by Tully305 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:00 pm

I'll put a vote in for Akitas. You'll never find a more loyal, quiet dog. Mine only barks when somebody is approaching the property. She's fiercely loyal, protective to a fault, and smart.

skeet

Post by skeet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Every time you buy from a breeder a shelter dog is euthanized.
Braxton wrote:I would say to get a shelter dog, But I have had some issues in the past with them.
I don't even know where to start with this.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 am

Its nice to save a dog but there is a reason why they must have been there.( not saying some dogs just have bad luck)
but be mad at the stupid owner, all you see here in san diego are pit bull mixes and chauwawas ( or how ever you spell it, you know the taco bell dog)
sorry for the dogs but its their owners fault.
why not buy from a breeder? would you rather buy from a mall or pet shop who actually don't care about the puppy or have the mother of her pups with them? or play with them all of them equally? have paper work, blood line information and information on every other dog the mother has birthed and any complications that have ever been had?
I have been around breeders for pretty much my entire life and when people say comments blaming people buying from breeders its killing those dogs it annoys me. No the dogs are dying because of their worthless former owners.
There is a reason why mutts are dime a dozen and pure breeds go for 600+.
but anyways here is my German Shepherd Eva

ALSO DON'T BE TALKED INTO SPAYING OR NEUTERING YOUR DOG EARLY! this will mess them up until they have fully develop ( im not anti spay or neutering but just wait till the dog matures to do it)

0605010728 by I Run Cities, on Flickr
0711011307 by I Run Cities, on Flickr
0807011239 by I Run Cities, on Flickr

and my old red doberman Bowzer ( i miss him :( )
bowzer ^^ by I Run Cities, on Flickr

To get on topic, don't talk anyone into something you don't want. if your set on those two just look around :P personally i love dobermans and it will be my next dog again.
also take into account food. find real food, not the crap at stater brothers or other grocery stores . the food i buy costs about 36.99 for 40 pounds and the first ingredient is either lam or chicken.
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 am

There have been several threads on this already..

instead of recommending my favorite dog I'll offer some useful input instead:
-What purpose will the dog serve?
-What job will it hold?

Answer those two questions first and then look at breeds whose attributes line up to them. You average pound dog may not have these traits.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 am

Paladin1 wrote:I vote for the ultimate PAW dog..
The Caucasian? :wink:

:lol:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:27 am

skeet wrote:Every time you buy from a breeder a shelter dog is euthanized.
Braxton wrote:I would say to get a shelter dog, But I have had some issues in the past with them.
I don't even know where to start with this.
I got a wonderful dog from the pound, he was smart loyal and loving. He also had a "thing" about lawnmowers. He hated them and thought that they where going to kill him. He also thought that they where going to kill the person using them. I found this out when he jumped through a screen door and "saved" the lady next door from her lawnmower by biting her in the ass and dragging her away from it.

$3000.00 dollars in medical bills that I had to pay out of pocket. He lives in the city with my uncle now. No lawnmowers.

I like big dogs, Rots, Shepherds, Dobermans, Bulldogs, and Pits. If you are going to take on the responsibility of owning a large potentially dangerous breed, you better be damn sure that dogs temperament and attitude. You can't always get the history of a dog at the shelter.

As far as the "every time you buy a dog, a shelter dog is killed". That is sad, but shit like that is designed to make people feel guilty. I do not feel guilty that I found a good breeder and payed a hefty sum to get exactly what I wanted. I suggest that the OP get what he wants, rather than what someone at the pound is trying to offload. Those dogs are unwanted for a reason. Some should never be adopted to the public.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

unifyzero

Post by unifyzero » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 am

We'reWolf wrote:Its nice to save a dog but there is a reason why they must have been there.( not saying some dogs just have bad luck)
but be mad at the stupid owner, all you see here in San Diego are pit bull mixes and Chauwawas
I have no idea where you've been looking, but I've been to the shelter in SD twice, and I honestly don't think I saw a chihuahua on pit either time (they may have been in mixes). In they had a very good range of dogs including a couple Dalmations, and a Husky/Rot mix that I was particularly fond of. There are countless reasons a dog could be in a shelter, and not all of them require a terrible previous owner, or a bad dog. Being in San Diego there's a good chance the dog belonged to someone in the military who had to get rid of it because of a deployment.

I do agree however that it's not bad to buy from a breeder, and all breeders are certainly not bad people.

BTW, good looking dog. I love shelter dogs, but I certainly would not mind putting down a few hundred for a pure bred German Shepard! I have a friend that got a papered Shepard for $200-$300 (don't remember the exact cost)... If only I could find a deal like that!

As far as comments go regarding shelters not giving you health information while breeders give full disclosure, think about this, the people that work at shelters don't get paid for selling dogs, breeders do. Breeders want to sell their dogs, so are more inclined to not be completely honest. People at shelters often care about the dogs and do not want them going to an owner that's just going to bring the dog back. It's been my experience, at shelters, that the people are as forthcoming as possible with health information. Of course they may not know every thing.

One final thing to note, most shelters I know of give you anywhere from a week to a month to bring the dog back, if you decide they're not the companion you're looking for, and receive a portion of your money back.
"The most difficult thing about planning against the Americans, is that they do not read their own doctrine, and they would feel no particular obligation to follow it if they did."
-Admiral Sergei I. Gorshkov, father of the Russian blue water navy

"Well, says No-Bark, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon"
- No-Bark, FO:NV

Return to “Other Gear”