Expired batteries

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Expired batteries

Post by LyraJean » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:29 pm

So I was cleaning out our entertainment system making room for DVDs and throwing out VHS tapes. I didn't even know we had VHS tapes still. I found a pack of C or D batteries still in the packaging but they are expired. There is no visible corrosion or anything on them. Do you think they are still good? Are they worth keeping or should I just toss them out?

Not sure where to put this but Other Gear seemed to be the best place. Move thread if necessary. Thanks!
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

TacAir

Re: Expired batteries

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:01 pm

LyraJean wrote:So I was cleaning out our entertainment system making room for DVDs and throwing out VHS tapes. I didn't even know we had VHS tapes still. I found a pack of C or D batteries still in the packaging but they are expired. There is no visible corrosion or anything on them. Do you think they are still good? Are they worth keeping or should I just toss them out?

Not sure where to put this but Other Gear seemed to be the best place. Move thread if necessary. Thanks!
Measure the voltage, you may be surprised.

I was digging out old gear from our Bunker Complex Z and found a radio with a pair of C cells that were 10 Y/O - stored in an unheated shed in the Alaska wx. The radio still played, so the batteries were not *totally* dead.

If course, you may want to skip using them in the ol pacemaker...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

connecticut_yankee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by connecticut_yankee » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Take a multimeter and measure the voltage. There may not be a lot of charge left but if there's no leaking then they're not dangerous. The lowest workable voltage will depend on what you are trying to power with them. On the other hand, C and D batteries aren't exactly expensive, so you may just want to replace them if you won't use them immediately.

I have an old Sanyo made-in-Mexico AA rechargable manufactured in August 1997 that still holds a ~500 mah charge reliably.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 pm

DH has a flashlight in his car. I'll find out if it uses the batteries. It's not a big deal if they don't work cause I don't remember buying them so it's not like OMG I just wasted money. Just wondering if they were safe to use more than anything else.

Thanks for the replies.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Alkaline batteries can leak and destroy electronics. They can do this without any outward sign of problems and age is a big risk factor. I would dump them unless it is an ER and even then wouldn't store them inside the device for any amount of time.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

connecticut_yankee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by connecticut_yankee » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm

I'm reminded of a relevant poll over at CandlePowerForums regarding leaking alkalines. I did a series of tests way back in high school regarding this topic for a chemistry class. I wish I had the results in hand now. The general conclusion was that the lower the voltage was the more prone the alkaline was to leaking. Since batteries lose voltage over time, age clearly has an indirect negative effect on alkalines leaking.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Alkaline batteries can leak and destroy electronics. They can do this without any outward sign of problems and age is a big risk factor. I would dump them unless it is an ER and even then wouldn't store them inside the device for any amount of time.
Woods, I like you man, but um...I'm going to find a different doctor.

drunkensurvivor

Post by drunkensurvivor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:41 pm

I've had unused batteries leak and go bad that were stored properly and weren't even expired. The ones I had were cheap bulk batteries. If they aren't brand name I would throw them out... Ruined electronics are no fun, and even cleaning corrosion off of contacts is a pain in the ass.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:34 am

I just looked at the date on the batteries again. They are from 2009 so over two years old. I'm just going to throw them out.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:47 pm

The same thing happened to me, I found a half dozen 9v batteries that were maybe 8 years old or so. No signs or corrosion, but neither did they have any power left to offer.

I recently found that some AA batteries that were maybe 2 years old tops offered very limited life when used. All the sudden I started burning through batteries in my wii remote at a rapid pace, like they weren't even lasting a day. That's one reason I've converted my BOB lights to CR-123 lights. They have a much longer shelf life.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

111t

Post by 111t » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:30 pm

lithium aa's in storage lights.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Other Gear”