Water purifier for hiking. Any input?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Baele

Water purifier for hiking. Any input?

Post by Baele » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:40 pm

I posted this on another forum also but thought someone here might have had something worthwhile to add.

I'm shopping for a water purification pump for hiking and was wondering if anyone ever used one of these before;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soldiers-Hiking-Cam ... 3cbb047c53

Found the website but no real reviews anywhere except the website

http://pureeasy.com/Products/Protable_W ... r/248.html

Anyone seen one or used one? Very inexpensive compared to other new models.

My thoughts as always are you get what you pay for.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Re: Water purifier for hiking. Any input?

Post by hatchtrikk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:14 pm

This:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-tre ... er/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is on my short list. I don't know that I'd trust that thing you linked :shock:

The only complaint I've heard about the MIOX is that the water has a 'taste' but IMO, as long as it does the job, I don't give a damn about the taste :D

YMMV
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 pm

I have a couple different solutions. I have a Steripen, but, honestly, dont use it much. If I need to purify water with something that light, I will use the iodine tabs from PUR.
I also have an MSR Miniworks that I use on a regular basis.
I recently went to the Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter, as I can simply fill it up, hang it up, and be done with it. I have only used it 3 times so far, but, right now, its my go to filter.
I dont like the Steripen as it doesnt get rid of flavor. Swamp water still tastes swampy-couple that with it being warm, and its hardly refreshing. I myself prefer cleaner tasting water. But, thats me.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

klamp

Post by klamp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 am

You should note that there's a difference between a Filter and a Purifier. That link appears to be a filter, which removes protozoa, parasites, and bacteria. A purifier removes all of those plus viruses. Since you asked for a purifier AND a pump system, you might want to check out First Need XL purifier. The only downside to a purification system vs a filter is the size/weight and amount of water able to be cleaned. A filter will have a longer lifespan than a purifier.

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:48 am

Whatever happened with the LifeStraw that was supposed to revolutionize access to clean drinking water in developing countries? Wasn't it supposed to be ridiculously cheap as well?

Jacob Creutzfeldt

Post by Jacob Creutzfeldt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:21 am

Consider at gravity filter, and compare the pros and cons vs. a pump.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-tre ... er/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 am

I'm a big fan of gravity filters, with a backup of clorox drops...in the case of really nasty water, I treat the water with clorox, and then run it through the filter.

The miox adds chemicals that kill off micro-beasties in your water, but doesn't filter out any undesirables...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

ethanboris

Post by ethanboris » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 am

i have one of those and they are flimsy, but work. They're good for a GHB when used with purifying tablets
shrapnel wrote:I'm still angry that the 'exploding anthrax cannibal hippos' thread wasn't in DICE. If that shit wasn't a disaster, I don't know what is.
Meat N' Taters wrote:The first boomerangs were made out of Gooch's toenail clippings.

Grant

Post by Grant » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm another 'chemical and filter' guy, I have a gallon plastic water bag that I can scoop with and add iodine tabs to. Once that settles I run it through the MiniWorks into soem nalgene bottles. I never drink out of the treatment bag. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth but around here we have both beaver-fever and potential chemicals, so it can't hurt. No one has ever been doubled over in cramps because they made their water TOO clean. I also drink a great deal, I hate rationing water and I'll gladly carry an extra pound or two of equipment if it gets me what I want.
"Headshots...headshots...Do you know how to do anything else?!"

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

painiac

Post by painiac » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:56 pm

That thing looks crappy. I'd just spring for a katadyn pump or equivalent. It's a bit bulkier, but you can trust it and can get a lot of use out of it.
Kevin108 wrote:Whatever happened with the LifeStraw that was supposed to revolutionize access to clean drinking water in developing countries? Wasn't it supposed to be ridiculously cheap as well?
Lack of trust, probably.
The overall impression of them seems to be that you're better off NOT drinking from questionable water sources that the lifestraw might otherwise encourage you to drink from.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:00 pm

My favorite hiking/camping filter is still the Katadyn Hiker Pro, with the pleated paper filter. It pumps a lot easier than the ceramic filters like the MSRs.

That said, if you clog the paper with silt, you have to toss the filter element, so its unsuitable for long term use because it cant be cleaned scrubbed like the ceramics.

But its a lot less of a pain in the ass to pump a few gallons through a hiker than it is through a MSR MiniWorks.

Hiker in my camping bag, MSR in my BOB.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

painiac

Post by painiac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:44 am

It's common practice to pre-filter the water with a disposable coffee filter prior to its entering the intake tube of a ceramic pump-operated filter, to cut down on the amount of scrubbing you have to do.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:52 am

pre-filtering is even more critical for the paper filters, so you dont permanently ruin them.

But that said, most filters come with their own pre-filters. I generally just wrap a bandana around the end though.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

KillaICM
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by KillaICM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:04 am

I'm surprised no one mentioned the steripen which you don't need a filter for and weighs a lot less than one. It uses uv light to purify the water. Of course the water is still going to be silty, but it's safe to drink.

But I don't think the op is going to read this anyway since it's been a month and a half he posted this. Nice try guys.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, other people can always learn from the discussion.

The steripen is like the MioX, it purifies but still doesnt filter. There are lots of bad things that require the filter, like cryptosporidium, organic chemicals, and heavy metals.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:29 pm

crypto wrote:Well, other people can always learn from the discussion.

The steripen is like the MioX, it purifies but still doesnt filter. There are lots of bad things that require the filter, like cryptosporidium, organic chemicals, and heavy metals.
I agree with this - been using a Steripen for 4 years now. Love the thing but I'm only using it for mountain water. Anything down by the cities and towns will get a physical filtering first.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 am

Don't depend on one method as your sole method of water treatment. Filters will clog, chemicals are not effective at removing non-organic contaminants, and boiling significantly alters the taste of water.

Since the original post asks about water purification as opposed to water filtration, the only methods of purification are boiling water for at least one minute (or bringing to 180d F for several minutes, ie cooking/ pasteurization) or filtration + chemicals. Also be advised that certain locations may have unique contaminants that may limit your options (eg. Isle Royale national park has moose flukes in its water; the National Park Service specifically cautions against the SteriPen as possibly not being effective against moose flukes. Obviously, if you are not in an area with moose, then you don't have to worry about moose flukes.)

Look for a filter that filters down to 0.2 microns, that has a prefilter that can be cleaned (and that can be supplemented with a coffee filter/ bandanna/ or some other filtering device), and that can be easily cleaned. Be VERY, VERY careful about cross contamination!!!! (make sure that contaminated/ questionable water does not come into contact with the container for the filtered water).

MSR sells a chlorine based purifying solution that can be added to filtered water. Polar Pure, potable aqua, and other similar chlorine or iodine based solutions will also work.
KD8EIB

LD!

Post by LD! » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 am

Instead of making a new thread I'll just ask here. Me and my girlfriend are going to be hiking across the us for the next 6+ months. I bought the steripen because I'm a sucker for things like that. Question is, what other type of filter should I supplement it with? Preferable light weight and minimal need for buying replacement filters

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:18 am

is she planning on filtering her water for each leg of the trip or will she be filtering as she goes for the weight savings?

If she is filtering a large amount to be used throughout the day: combine the Steripen with a gravity filter.

If she is filtering small amounts at way points along the route to save weight: Steripen pre-filter, which is sized for the Nalgene hard bottles or soft bottles.

The pre-filter can be found for under $20

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

LD!

Post by LD! » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 am

We'll probably be doing a mix. We're going to cross the whole of the united states. I was thinking of getting a hanging filter as I can always just pour less water into it if we are still pretty well stocked.
We're planning to each carry a 70ml camelback 2 water bottles and make a third metal water bottle filled with juice or Gatorade.

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 pm

FWIW, I bought one of those Katadyn Base Camp gravity filters and took it out during our Summergeddon to filter lake water. It failed spectacularly, and I returned it for an MSR gravity filter instead.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:51 pm

LD! wrote:Instead of making a new thread I'll just ask here. Me and my girlfriend are going to be hiking across the us for the next 6+ months. I bought the steripen because I'm a sucker for things like that. Question is, what other type of filter should I supplement it with? Preferable light weight and minimal need for buying replacement filters
katadyn-style paper filters say they're good for 300-500 gallons or so before they need to go.

MSR ceramics are good to go for about 3000-5000, an order of magnitude longer. When they start to clog, you scrub them with a scotchbrite pad, which actually removes some of the material from the filter, exposing fresh unclogged ceramic under it. There is an included 'minimum safe diameter' gauge included with the filter that lets you determine when the filter needs to be replaced.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Kevin108 wrote:Whatever happened with the LifeStraw that was supposed to revolutionize access to clean drinking water in developing countries? Wasn't it supposed to be ridiculously cheap as well?
Hmmm do you mean these? They are available for sale in the United States and make perfect stocking stuffers :

If you use ZS05034y at checkout ZS will get 10% of the proceeds.

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:39 pm

As always, go with several items. Primary, Secondary and Tertiary

Primary: MSR Hyperflow Microfilter Great system, easy to use, fast, filter will last for a long time with some basic cleaning. Works good for Forward Operating Base or in camp. (I'm an MSR guy) lots on the market. I held up well in Afghanistan.

Secondary: POLAR PURE WATER DISINFECTANT: Iodine Crystals, Great for 2000 liters, can make 1 liter every 20 minutes or so. Great when you are "on the run" Fill the bottle, wait 20 minutes (or keep it filled), let 1 liter bottle stand for an hour. Presto Clean water! This is the Bomb. When SHTF, bandana over the 1 liter bottle for "Gross Contaminate Screening" then the Polar Pure. You are drinking water that will keep you alive. Great E&E item!

Tertiary: Iodine Tincture, just picked up another bottle at local drug store. Is also a good local aseptic for cuts and scraps. Anything that is duel use is a Plus 1 for me.

Bottom line have several ways to go. Like fire, you don't or shouldn't go out in the woods with a single book of matches.
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

Return to “Other Gear”