The GHAT - An Intro to Prepping

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Indiana

Re: The GHAT - An Intro to Prepping

Post by Indiana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:38 am

CryHavoc wrote:Two ideas for a school-approved knife:

1.) A small utility knife, the type used for opening cardboard boxes.

2.) A pair of scissors, when disassembled provides 2 cutting edges. Some of them can be pretty sharp (especially the freaking unnaturally sharp ones that came with my First-Aid kit).
yeah looking at this I remembered didnt the hijackers on 9/11 use box cutters to take control of the planes? I think they would now be considered a weapon the same as any other knife

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Daughter's GHAT V2.0

Post by ratz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:36 pm

I want to thank everyone for pointing out the risks that loose OTC medications and a knife (regardless of its size) could pose to our daughter's continued academic career in our educational system's "zero tolerance" fervor. (See updated pic and description at the top of the thread)

I replaced all of the loose OTC medications with blister packaging versions and single dosage packets. For the blister packs, I trimmed them down so that they could conform to the inside edges of the tin and save room.

I removed the multi-tool that had the "knife" from the GHAT altogether. Frankly any benefit that a screwdriver, scissors, dull knife, tweezers, file and cuticle tool could provide wasn't worth the risk of disciplinary action.

The maintenance plan is to recharge her phone battery four times during the school year based on her midterm and final schedules. The meds will be rotated at the beginning of every school year.

Please share any other suggestions or critiques. Keep them coming! :D

AnimalMother
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by AnimalMother » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:37 pm

ratz wrote:That’s when I came up with my twist on the BOAT (Bug Out Altoids Tin) or survival tin. For lack of a better term, I called it the GHAT or “Get Home Altoids Tin”.

The Contents:
DIY cut down ballpoint pen
ratz wrote: (1) Customized 10 page Mini Instructions**
  • “Stop, Think, Observe, Plan”
  • “Keep Calm” (reassurance)
  • “Family’s Get Home Plan” (bullet points of our detailed plan)
  • “How to Use Cell Phones in Emergencies”
  • “Stay or Go” (preplanned alternate safety locations)
  • “On the Way Home” (how not to be a victim)
  • “Once You Get Home” (going through the family's post emergency checklist)
  • “Securing the House”
  • “Important Phone Numbers”
  • “Med Pack Descriptions/Dosage”
How did you cut down the pen without gettig ink everywhere?

Would you mind sharing the details of your Customized 10 page Mini Instructions? For example, for "On the way home (how not to be a victim)," would you mind sharing the details? I'd like to copy your GHAT and the Mini Instructions. Thanks!
"Well you might not believe it, but under fire Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world, all he needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him the rest of his life."

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Post by ratz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:01 pm

AnimalMother wrote: How did you cut down the pen without gettig ink everywhere?
Got the instructions here on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6mWqqN7vE
AnimalMother wrote: Would you mind sharing the details of your Customized 10 page Mini Instructions? For example, for "On the way home (how not to be a victim)," would you mind sharing the details? I'd like to copy your GHAT and the Mini Instructions. Thanks!
Not a problem. PM me with your email address and I'll send you a word document that you'll need to print on both sides of a single piece of paper and cut out.

AnimalMother
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by AnimalMother » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Here's a related thread on the ZS forum I found today showing an Altoid tin emergency kit.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... s#p1837908
"Well you might not believe it, but under fire Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world, all he needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him the rest of his life."

ratz

Post by ratz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Shopping at our local Asian Dollar Store and came across a role of self adhesive "Magnet Tape". Got it home and cut a length off and stuck it to the bottom of my daughter's Get Home Altoids Tin. Just to make sure it worked, I stuck it to a metal ruler and turned it upside down to demo it.

Now she'll be able to keep/hide this tin anywhere in her locker if she wants to.

Gotta find time this weekend to take an updated family picture to include into the kit. That should be it and hopefully by next week, this GHAT will ready to be deployed. :D

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:17 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
ratz wrote: I'm pretty sure we're okay with a 1.5" dull "knife".
"Pretty sure" doesn't cut it in today's school systems. You need to find out for sure, before your daughter gets a record for carrying a knife on school property. Also, some schools also take a Zero Tolerance policy on OTC drugs as well. You may want to check on that as well. :)

Otherwise, great idea for kits for ya'll.
Yeah this is a zero tolerance age for ya. Back in the day it was expected for young boys to bring a knife to whittle at recess. When i was in high school in the early 90's all of us on the theater crew carried knives. We weren't allowed to mind you. But we weren't dumb a*ses and we actually had reason to use them during our techie work. Now I work in schools a lot and i would NEVER consider it acceptable to carry one. Just Thursday a co-worker needed to cut a piece of string off of some gear. Of course he looked to me, but i had nothing for him. We went to a nearby office and borrowed some scissors. Another point is that at some schools i go to there are signs saying that vehicles are subject to search on school grounds. My advice is to not risk it. 2 miles is close enough that she could keep a ka-bar under the mattress for emergencies.

Maybe i read the OP wrong, but the unlabeled OTC drugs and micra are in your kit right? Not the teenagers?
Last edited by 111t on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

ratz

Post by ratz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:46 pm

All of the unpackaged OTC's and the multi tool were taken out of my teenagers' GHAT. Her OTC meds were replaced with individually packaged single dose packs and blister packs. The photos and content list has been updated to reflect the change.

The "Micra" and the unmarked OTC's are in MY (an adult) GHAT.

phractal

Post by phractal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:06 am

The altoid tin is a cool way to consolidate a kids kit but I think it was missing a few things. For starters, a light. Even something like a MAG solitare would be sufficient for most power out/night time get home situations. I'm not too concerned about having a knife. I EDC both a light, and a knife, and I'll tell ya, I use the light way more often. Particularly on really sunny days, on account of after being in the sun and then walking into a dark garage or barn, I can't see shit. My eyes aren't adjusted.

The ACR WW-3 whistle you have is a great whistle and I have several. I attach one to every jacket I own. (usually on the zipper) My Miss carries an REI single tone on her keys and a three tone ACR knockoff in her GHB. She likes the single tone REI and it's smaller than the ACR. Would free up space in the GHAT. (Personally, I find that 2 or more tones are easier to hear in certain environments.) Good choice.

As for the multi tool, I would think something like this would do the trick.

And if she really needs a blade, there are several jewelry style choices like this.

Or this.

The biggest thing though, to my mind anyway, is that if you EDC correctly, there is no need for a compact kit.

I don't consolidate my EDC gear because it makes it inconvienient to access. Imagine having to open a bag, or a tin, and shuffle through it's contents for that one thing you're after. I spread my get home gear out for two reasons. One, because it's easier to access quickly, and Two, because if I'm without one part of my kit, that doesn't mean I'm without the rest of it.

I think the trick is to get your daughter to realize the benefit of EDC, rather than just getting her to carry a GHAT and hoping she knows how to use it when the time comes.

I have an 11 year old step daughter and teaching her to EDC was a snap. She gets up early in the morning for school and has to take the dog out and then walk to the bus in the dark. She used to complain that it was too dark to do it alone until I got her a little Fenix light to put on her keys. She carries a whistle because she's obnoxious, but also because I trained the dog to come to the whistle. She carries some basic first aid in her school bag because being 11, she's always fucking herself up somehow. I really don't feel the need for her to have a knife but if I did, I'd find a way to make her think she needed it for every day activity.

Instilling the "have what you need" mantra is more effective than just giving someone something they can use. I remember when I got my first multi tool and thought to my self "how the hell did I ever survive without this?". Thats what you want to instill and thats how I design my loadouts. If she has everything she can to make life easier on a day to day basis, and she uses it on a day to day basis, she'll be well prepared to handle a get home need.

That said, I think the choices you made for your GHAT are pretty sound. (Assuming she knows how to use all that kit to its maximum potential.)
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

ratz

Daughter's GHAT V2.5 - Deployment

Post by ratz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 pm

After being sidetracked a month caught up in flashlights and knives... :roll: :lol: I finally got off my butt and finalized my daughter's GHAT.

Thanks to Phractal, I realized that I had not equipped her ghat it with a light. Now that I have an EDC flashlight, I took the Streamlight Nano out of my GHAT and moved it over her's.

Knowing how teenagers can be, I also included a plastic "dump" bag". If she should ever have to tap into the GHAT, rather than trying replace everything into the tin, she could simply dump it into the small zip bag I included, return everything home so that it could be restocked, reset and re-deployed.

phractal

Post by phractal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:57 pm

Looks good. :D
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:12 pm

While reading this, I kept thinking about a leatherman without a knife blade. I know they used to make one. Past tense.. damnit.

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Knifeless_Fuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That and it's a full sized tool so it wouldn't fit in the GHAT. :roll: In high school I carried a SAK all the time. Hell, I have the same one in my pocket now. Funny thing is, I know the admins saw it. Strangely they didn't say anything.. quite possibly because I was using it to open up the case of their computers to upgrade and or fix them. :lol:

by-the-throat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Dead Alive
Land of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Zombieland

Post by by-the-throat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:30 am

Great kit!

I keep a sewing needle and some heavy gauge thread in my altoids tin. Good for those clothing emergencies, and in a pinch, she could magnetize the needle with the tape and use a floating compass.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior ... ng_compass

You can actually sub a thick square of paper towel folded over for the cork.
From The Codex Kalachnikova: "He who would have you surrender your arms does so because he wishes to do something you could prevent by their usage."
Last Call, Last Stand - The Crystal Menage - SF in Babylon - REMC Guide

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Re: Daughter's GHAT V2.5 - Deployment

Post by Hachiman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm not sure how things are out there but here around Houston OTC in original packaging or not and they'll arrest the kid for it. The parent will pay fines, child sent to alternative school, suspended or expelled..etc etc etc. :roll: No tolerance takes on the appearance of inability to use common sense at times...or all the time!!

ratz wrote:Image

After being sidetracked a month caught up in flashlights and knives... :roll: :lol: I finally got off my butt and finalized my daughter's GHAT.

Thanks to Phractal, I realized that I had not equipped her ghat it with a light. Now that I have an EDC flashlight, I took the Streamlight Nano out of my GHAT and moved it over her's.

Knowing how teenagers can be, I also included a plastic "dump" bag". If she should ever have to tap into the GHAT, rather than trying replace everything into the tin, she could simply dump it into the small zip bag I included, return everything home so that it could be restocked, reset and re-deployed.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 pm

A key can be sharpened with a file to be able to cut.
However a lot of the hidden knife ideas could get you in more trouble since she gets dinged for having a knife and then dinged for trying to hide it. What if you find a cheap toolkit, one of those made in china walmart specials with a screwdriver, pliers, etc that you bought to keep in the trunk of her car and it was still in the sealed packaging and you didn't know it had a small utility knife inside it.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

GMScooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the above! :)

Post by GMScooter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:26 pm

ratz wrote:Think I may have found it....

I have two of these. Its on the heavy side for use on my keys or in my pocket but I keep it in my EDC bag as a back up to my leatherman. I also keep one in my office desk. They are very solid and work great.
...in accordance with prophesy.

My Ka-Bar Potbelly Review

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:28 am

Yep...altoids tins rock! Like yer GHAT kit, rat! I've been using the tins for years now...they're also great to organise your gear, say inside the top of a metal tool chest, or inside a metal gun cabinet.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

ratz

Post by ratz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 pm

After two little earth tremblers last night (4.0 and 3.8) my daughter took her GHAT with her to school this morning eagerly.... but not enthusiastically. :roll:

After much of the earlier conversations on this thread we pretty much took out everything that could be deemed a "weapon". Anything with a sharp point, edge or object that could be made into a weapon. Like I said before, this was more of a "marketing tool" to get my daughter on board with prepping than anything else. Yes it provides her with the basics and seeing that she goes to school so close to home... it's a start.

@Hachiman: we worked with our daughter's HS office and so long as the OTC drugs were individually sealed in their original packages and were required by my daughter (who suffers from allergies) it was cool.

ratz

GHAT Deployment Day 1 FAIL

Post by ratz » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:37 pm

So the same day that I sent my daughter off to school with her GHAT to be placed in her locker for emergencies... she tore into the GHAT and pulled her spare battery out because her phone was "down to one bar". :roll:

Lesson #1: Adult meaning of "emergency" is much different than teen meaning.

Lesson #2: Cel phones to teens > adults no matter how tech savvy we adults are and we are pretty tech savvy.

Lesson #3: No matter how well you plan for emergencies, SHTF or PAW... the "urban teen" factor should always be considered.

I asked her to bring her GHAT home on Monday afternoon so that it can be repacked and re-deployed. I'll also give her a fully charged spare battery to EDC.

REALLY? *sigh*

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Nice job Ratz!
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

WOLF308

Post by WOLF308 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:42 am

nice job

Going back to the winning hearts and minds bit of your OP for a moment, you should get your daughter to take red cross first aid and cpr classes if you haven't already. Getting her trained to provide help in an emergency is the best way to get her mindset right and build up her confidence. You can always tell your her it will look good on her college entrance paperwork under special skills and abilities.
Duct Tape is like The Force; it has a light side, a dark side and it holds The Universe together.

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 pm

You may need to top off that cell phone battery more often anyway. A lithium ion cell by itsself doesn't have a very high self discharge but the electronics in a battery pack for a cell phone or laptop will waste some power while sitting. I had to top mine off once a month.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

zengunfighter

Post by zengunfighter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

I'd find a place off campus, on the way home, to make a cache.
It's 2 miles. what is she really going to need?

Water, a snack, rain gear, weapon (good fixed blade knife with clip on sheath), 1st aid, flashlight
Put in tupperware and cache it just off campus.
Disciplina Remunenor Fidelis!

http://www.youtube.com/vigunfighter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”