The GHAT - An Intro to Prepping

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

The GHAT - An Intro to Prepping

Post by ratz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey fellow ZS'ers!

This is my first of what I hope is many contributions to the forum in appreciation for everyone's advice, information and suggestions through their posts.

Recent world events (especially the Japanese Earthquake) prompted our family to re-examine our 15 year old 72-hour kit and really sit down and put together a working Bug Out/In Plan.

The biggest challenge was winning the hearts and minds of my wife and daughter especially my teenage daughter who is a little skittish on the whole topic of emergency preparedness. So the question was raised, “How do I introduce the idea of prepping to her without filling her full of anxiety about the coming onslaught of brain eating zombies? Baby steps... baby steps.

The Idea
Our daughter attends school just 2 miles from our home – about an hour leisurely walk. So what I thought I would do was to put together something that would serve as her EDC for everyday emergencies but would be innocuous so it wouldn’t be a glaring reminder that the next Big One is a foregone eventuality.

That’s when I came up with my twist on the BOAT (Bug Out Altoids Tin) or survival tin. For lack of a better term, I called it the GHAT or “Get Home Altoids Tin”. In the event of an emergency whether it be a minor cut, an allergy attack, lost wallet or an earthquake, the primary focus of her GHAT was to:
  • take care of her immediate needs,
  • get her home or a safe place,
  • provide some type of assurance that everything is going to be okay and
  • ease her into emergency preparedness.

The Contents *

(1) Set of house keys
(1) Streamlight Nano Flashlight
(1) Transit Card with $10 fare (taped to lid)
(1) Emergency Whistle
(1) Backup Battery (charged) for her Blackberry
(1) DIY cut down ballpoint pen
(1) ziplock "dump bag"

(1) OTC Med Pack*
  • (2) Advil
  • (2) Tylenol
  • (3) Benadryl
  • (3) Sudafed
  • (2) Gas-X
  • (2) Pepto Bismol Chewable
  • (3) Imodium
(1) Triple Antibiotic Packet, .9g
(2) Bandages
(3) Sheets of Paper

(1) Customized 10 page Mini Instructions**
  • “Stop, Think, Observe, Plan”
  • “Keep Calm” (reassurance)
  • “Family’s Get Home Plan” (bullet points of our detailed plan)
  • “How to Use Cell Phones in Emergencies”
  • “Stay or Go” (preplanned alternate safety locations)
  • “On the Way Home” (how not to be a victim)
  • “Once You Get Home” (going through the family's post emergency checklist)
  • “Securing the House”
  • “Important Phone Numbers”
  • “Med Pack Descriptions/Dosage”
$20 (1 x $10, 2 x $5)
Family Photo
Starburst Candy

9.1.11 Added self adhesive magnetic tape to the bottom of the GHAT so that it could be stealthily mounted anywhere in my daughter's locker until its' needed.

10.20.11 Added a Streamlight Nano flashlight, chewable Pepto Bismol and a ziplock "dump bag" in the event she needs to get into the GHAT, she can dump what she doesn't need into the bag.

* OTC Meds remain in their individual sealed states which are compliant to our school district's rules.

** I did some research on the aftermaths of earthquakes and another natural disasters and took just bullet points and put them together in this insert.
Last edited by ratz on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ratz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978/2004); Resident Evil; Zombi; Evil Dead

Re: The GHAT - An Intro to Prepping

Post by ratz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Seeing that the rest of the family was getting their own Get Home solutions, I made one up of my own. I work within 5 miles of my home and the entire trip home is through a residential area.

The Contents

(1) Set of house keys (taped to lid with duct tape)
(1) Transit Card with $10 fare
(1) Streamlight Nano
(1) "Leatherman" Micra 9-in-1 Multitool *
(1) Backup Battery (charged) for Droid X
(1) DIY cut down ballpoint pen

(1) OTC Med Pack
  • (8) Advil
  • (2) Benadryl
  • (2) Sudafed
  • (1) Zyrtec
  • (4) Imodium
(1) BIC Lighter (secured)
(2) Bandages
(2) Sheets of Paper
$22 (1 x $20, 2 x $1)
Family Photo

* Interesting story about the "Leatherman". I was looking for the REAL deal on eBay and instead found a real DEAL. I suspected it was knock off but for $1.99 shipped it was hard to pass up. Plus if it didn't fit in my GHAT, it would not be that tragic. Took close to a month to arrive from overseas but I was surprised at the quality and decided to keep it in my GHAT.

Well I hope you found this interesting. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

We're putting the finishing touches on my wife's GHB and our BOB FAK. I'll post pics and their write-ups when they're done.

Thanks!
Last edited by ratz on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimalMother
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by AnimalMother » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:05 pm

ratz wrote: (1) Mini Pocket Tool (80’s swag)
(tweezers, scissor, knife, flat head screwdriver, file and a cuticle tool)
Great idea! An Altoids tin is very inconspicuous! I'm going to start on one myslef! Was your daughter's school okay with the mini muli-tool? I'm guessing most schools would classify tweezers, scissors, knifes, flat head screwdrivers, files and a cuticle tools as weapons.
"Well you might not believe it, but under fire Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world, all he needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him the rest of his life."

ratz

Post by ratz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:33 pm

AnimalMother wrote:
ratz wrote: (1) Mini Pocket Tool (80’s swag)
(tweezers, scissor, knife, flat head screwdriver, file and a cuticle tool)
Great idea! An Altoids tin is very inconspicuous! I'm going to start on one myslef! Was your daughter's school okay with the mini muli-tool? I'm guessing most schools would classify tweezers, scissors, knifes, flat head screwdrivers, files and a cuticle tools as weapons.
We're fortunate that she attends a college prep, magnet school. Even with a student population of just over 3,000 the only fights that usually break out are academic ones just before college applications go in hence there has never been a need for metal detectors or random bag/locker checks. I'm pretty sure we're okay with a 1.5" dull "knife".

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:09 pm

ratz wrote: I'm pretty sure we're okay with a 1.5" dull "knife".
"Pretty sure" doesn't cut it in today's school systems. You need to find out for sure, before your daughter gets a record for carrying a knife on school property. Also, some schools also take a Zero Tolerance policy on OTC drugs as well. You may want to check on that as well. :)

Otherwise, great idea for kits for ya'll.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

AnimalMother

Post by AnimalMother » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm wondering if there's something that could function as a knife in a get home emergeny, fit in the GHAT, and be acceptable with government school's zero tolerance policy? Anyone have any ideas?
"Well you might not believe it, but under fire Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world, all he needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him the rest of his life."

praharin

Post by praharin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 pm

ratz wrote: * The OTC medications and their dosages fall within our school's medication policy.
:x

That may be true, but outside of their original labeled packaging, they are just pills. Please, for your daughters sake, replace the baggie with individually packaged pills. :| <-- this is my serious face
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 am

AnimalMother wrote:I'm wondering if there's something that could function as a knife in a get home emergeny, fit in the GHAT, and be acceptable with government school's zero tolerance policy? Anyone have any ideas?
At the prison I worked at, inmates would use the razor out of a basic plastic bodied pencil sharpener. While not ideal, it does provide a sharp object to cut with. The problem is that modifying one for this use, may still be construed as a weapon.

While the example shown here shows an easily removable blade, via a phillips head screwdriver, I believe the current design (sold in stores) uses a rivet to secure the blade.

You may be able to order this design shown in the pic, from the company I grabbed the image from. Throw in a popsicle stick and a way to secure it, and voila, a cutting instrument.

Disclaimer

I do not recommend going this route and making a kit using the items I described. However, it would benefit your daughter to know/learn how to improvise to create some semblance of the tool she may need, when the time arises. After all... necessity is the mother of all invention. While it's not legal to carry such items on school property, they can easily be manufactured using what's at hand. Teaching her this will be far more useful than a pre-made kit.

That said, I think most of your "GHAT" kit for your daughter is a good idea. :D It just needs some refining with consideration to legal ramifications.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:48 am

grand94jeep wrote:
"Pretty sure" doesn't cut it in today's school systems. You need to find out for sure, before your daughter gets a record for carrying a knife on school property. Also, some schools also take a Zero Tolerance policy on OTC drugs as well. You may want to check on that as well. :)

These are all great family kits, you have put together!

Definitely be careful with any knife. Hubby and I are trying to think of our daughters EDC for her vehicle, once she starts driving. I recall an article about a student being expelled for having a boy scout untensil set.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/12/educa ... pline.html

And this one...................................an Honor Student at upstate New York's Lansingburgh High School, Matthew Whalen, has been suspended for twenty days for having a two-inch pocket knife in a locked kit in his car.
http://wizbangblog.com/content/2009/10/ ... in-car.php

This has been really hard for Mr. NoAm and I, because we would like to have a nice EDC for our daughter, but it will obviously have to be scaled down a bit, compared to ours.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:30 pm

NoAmnesty wrote:
grand94jeep wrote:

Definitely be careful with any knife. Hubby and I are trying to think of our daughters EDC for her vehicle, once she starts driving. I recall an article about a student being expelled for having a boy scout untensil set.

And this one...................................an Honor Student at upstate New York's Lansingburgh High School, Matthew Whalen, has been suspended for twenty days for having a two-inch pocket knife in a locked kit in his car.

This has been really hard for Mr. NoAm and I, because we would like to have a nice EDC for our daughter, but it will obviously have to be scaled down a bit, compared to ours.
NoAm, I would use some duct tape, or really strong magnets and hide a knife somewhere in the trunk. Or, maybe even in the engine compartment, seeing as the trunk is the first place they look. There are tons of hiding spots in a vehicle. Under carpet, padding, plastic trim pieces. Heck, you could even tape/tie/attach a knife under the dash in some cars. I could hide my CCW under the dash of my Jeep. :lol:

Watch an episode of Border Wars for some ideas. :wink: :lol:

ninja edit: You can also hide stuff in the air filter box.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

~Ronald Reagan~

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Holy deja vu, Ratz.

I still say a VIC classic would kick that mini knife's ass.

Cause I have both of them.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

bluedog2
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland (of course), 28 Days Later

Post by bluedog2 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:44 pm

praharin wrote:
ratz wrote: * The OTC medications and their dosages fall within our school's medication policy.

That may be true, but outside of their original labeled packaging, they are just pills. Please, for your daughters sake, replace the baggie with individually packaged pills. :| <-- this is my serious face
Gonna have to agree here. Schools, particularly high schools, are particularly skittish when it comes to unlabeled pills and some may go overboard easily, which is wrong and totally sucks for the kid, but there you have the world we live in. I'd see if you couldn't buy small individual packs of those pills/meds like you see in truck stops and other places along the highway. They are wrapped and sealed and individual sized, as being very obvious what they are.

Along with the suggestion below of the razor blade in a pencil sharpener as a cutting tool, I'd recommend replacing the pen with a pencil. Pens, no matter the brand, are notorious for drying up and not working when you need them. Pencils, especially if you have a sharpener, never fail. Also in the context of the sharpener, it adds believability as to why you have the sharpener.

Good plan. Nicely done.
"You can kill more zombies with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone, if he was being attacked by the undead

grand94jeep

Post by grand94jeep » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:02 pm

bluedog2 wrote:
Along with the suggestion below of the razor blade in a pencil sharpener as a cutting tool, I'd recommend replacing the pen with a pencil. Pens, no matter the brand, are notorious for drying up and not working when you need them. Pencils, especially if you have a sharpener, never fail. Also in the context of the sharpener, it adds believability as to why you have the sharpener.

Excellent suggestion. :D
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

~Ronald Reagan~

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:03 pm

praharin wrote:

I used to keep my OTCs in a baggy like that, but then I realized I forgot what they were.

I get individual packs of OTCs from the office first aid cabinet, which is fine if I only skim it once every so often as most people at the firm do. It gets replenished monthly by a delivery guy/gal. You can by individual packs at your local friendly drug store too.

Which reminds me, time to go through my EDC booboo kit... here is a pic of what I have in it... minus the Altoids tin, razor and tab of duct tape:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:11 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
NoAmnesty wrote:
grand94jeep wrote:

NoAm, I would use some duct tape, or really strong magnets and hide a knife somewhere in the trunk. Or, maybe even in the engine compartment, seeing as the trunk is the first place they look. There are tons of hiding spots in a vehicle. Under carpet, padding, plastic trim pieces. Heck, you could even tape/tie/attach a knife under the dash in some cars. I could hide my CCW under the dash of my Jeep. :lol:

Watch an episode of Border Wars for some ideas. :wink: :lol:

ninja edit: You can also hide stuff in the air filter box.
Thanks for the GREAT ideas GD4! We will definitely look into that!
ZSC025 President
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

ratz

Post by ratz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:54 pm

praharin wrote:That may be true, but outside of their original labeled packaging, they are just pills. Please, for your daughters sake, replace the baggie with individually packaged pills. :| <-- this is my serious face
Sigh... I didn't even think about that. You folks are right. This makes me sad that we've gotten to this place but alas... I hate to see my daughter's exemplary academic career go down the toilet for having un-packaged Tylenol in an emergency kit.

Looks like I'll need to raid our company's first aid kit for those individual dose pills. There should be more than enough room for those pills once I remove the "Rambo knife" from her Altoids tin. :roll:

*scratches head * :? If anyone knows of a knife-less multi-tool give me a shout out.

I'll make the changes to my daughter's kit and repost.

Thanks to everyone for having my back. I knew there was another reason why I hang out here! :lol:

ratz

Post by ratz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Think I may have found it....

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:03 pm

I am SO glad you feel that way Ratz! Most of these people have become like family to me, over the last 2 years. That's the way it should be! We take care of each other. I too, would hate to blemish my daughter's record, by only trying to take care of her.

I am not aware of a multi-tool kit, without a knife. Unless you just took a cheap one and broke the knife off.
ZSC025 President

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Two ideas for a school-approved knife:

1.) A small utility knife, the type used for opening cardboard boxes.

2.) A pair of scissors, when disassembled provides 2 cutting edges. Some of them can be pretty sharp (especially the freaking unnaturally sharp ones that came with my First-Aid kit).
Zombie women love me for my Braaaains!
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

ratz

Post by ratz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:41 pm

Still considered a knife?

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:49 pm

ratz wrote:Think I may have found it....
Those things are neat til they loosen up and fold up on you as you try to use it.

Swiss Tech makes several models of "keys", some without knife blade.

I used to have some RX meds in a pill bottle in car glove box for back up.
My kid had an accident and cops checked glovebox, they thought they had a major drug bust.
Last edited by bltjr1951 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

AnimalMother

Post by AnimalMother » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 pm

grand94jeep wrote:
AnimalMother wrote:I'm wondering if there's something that could function as a knife in a get home emergeny, fit in the GHAT, and be acceptable with government school's zero tolerance policy? Anyone have any ideas?
At the prison I worked at, inmates would use the razor out of a basic plastic bodied pencil sharpener. While not ideal, it does provide a sharp object to cut with. The problem is that modifying one for this use, may still be construed as a weapon.

While the example shown here shows an easily removable blade, via a phillips head screwdriver, I believe the current design (sold in stores) uses a rivet to secure the blade.

You may be able to order this design shown in the pic, from the company I grabbed the image from. Throw in a popsicle stick and a way to secure it, and voila, a cutting instrument.

Disclaimer

I do not recommend going this route and making a kit using the items I described. However, it would benefit your daughter to know/learn how to improvise to create some semblance of the tool she may need, when the time arises. After all... necessity is the mother of all invention. While it's not legal to carry such items on school property, they can easily be manufactured using what's at hand. Teaching her this will be far more useful than a pre-made kit.

That said, I think most of your "GHAT" kit for your daughter is a good idea. :D It just needs some refining with consideration to legal ramifications.
Great idea, thanks! It's sad in today's society that we have to get legal advice about a pencil sharpener! Next the pencil will be deemed weapon!

AnimalMother

Post by AnimalMother » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:01 pm

ratz wrote:Think I may have found it....

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Would one of these fit the bill?

It's a small disposable scalpel, or better yet, one of these,

Both are sharp,(scalpel being a bit more so...) will cut thru most material, are relatively tiny, and usually run under a buck if you buy a pack of em...

That way they take up far less space, and you can add a multitool without a knife on it, for other things....

Great idea with the altoids tin, by the way.

Return to “Other Gear”