School me on Garmins please

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aus.templar

School me on Garmins please

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 am

Hey guys, I want a GPS and know very little about them.

I'll go through what I would like to do with one, and some requirements and hopefully someone can offer advice or product recommendations. I want to use it for Army training exercises and hunting/camping

I want to be able to set my current location to the grid reference(8 or 10 figure) of a hard copy map and then if I move locations have it be able to tell me what my new GR is. Or enter a desired GR and have it tell me the distance and direction in kilometres and MILS.

Electronic compass in MILS would be nice but not required. Must be in AA. Prefer rugged/water resistant

Thanks in advance guys, any guidance is much appreciated
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

Redemption
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Bruce Campbell

Re: School me on Garmins please

Post by Redemption » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 am

I'm really only familiar with the etrex line, I have the Garmin etrex vista hcx (color,wass enabled,e compass,barometric altimeter and more). Mine takes AA's and has a slot for micro sd card that you can load various maps (purchased seperately) onto, depending on what you're doing. In the U.S. we have city nav,topo U.S., and various marine maps to name a few.
It does have the ability to click on a location to tell you how far away it is, or if you "hover" over a place it will give the coordinates of it. It's fairly small and light and water resistant (proof?)but the rubber surround will come off eventually.. Not sure about your ao but in mine they offer a touch screen version that offers all of the same features as mine. I'm sure more people will be along to disagree with my GPS and offer better more informed suggestions. Good luc.k, and feel free to ask me more,Ryan
I'm your Huckleberry.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 am

In my opinion, based on 5 years of Geocaching the very best gpsr made.

Largely depends on what you are willing to pay but the oregon 450T comes pre loaded with topo and road maps for the entire country. Has the ability to either manually input coordinates or using a gps database program like gsak create a large file to drop into the unit's memory. The oregon is also preloaded with Points Of Interest including hotels, grocery stores, emergency care facilities parks and other good things :)

if you know someone, oh maybe like me :wink: you can also get whats called a gpx file of all the registered campsites in Australia. That would require GSAK to carry it across but worth while. I'd also suggest looking into geocaching to get to know how best to use the unit in a non emergency situation

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 am

so am I able to input a grid reference from a paper map and work off that?
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 pm

bump...

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm

um more than likely but thats one area I'm not sure about. most gpsr will let you change the datum, mainly from utm to degree,minutes but usually using other datum as well. If your gpsr has a datum matching the one your map is based on then definitely. The hiking maps I buy and papar street maps use both degree minutes and utm so I havent had an issue

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:04 pm

cheers

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 pm

aus.templar wrote:so am I able to input a grid reference from a paper map and work off that?
With a Etrex you can set it up to run of MGRS no problem. You can input a given grid hit a few buttons and just follow the distance and direction.

he is a pic from the MBO and my friends Etrex. I sold mine before I left iraq in 08 and just have not got around to replacing it.

sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:38 pm

awesome thanks, after a bit of looking around I'm looking at the Garmin 62s. Now just wanna find somewhere that sells it for a decent price and waiting on my pay from the army to come through... still havent been paid for the training exercise I just did, and I'm on recruit rates still when I'm meant to be being paid on fully qual'd Combat Engineer rates... backpay will be nice when it finally comes through.

Some of you guys might know Exercise Talisman Sabre/Saber, met a couple American servicemen and women. Nice people, some of them left a huge pile of rubbish in the middle of the bush though and I found it when I was patrolling, although they also left a water jerry with their rubbish, which I acquired :)

Janissary

Post by Janissary » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 am

I have a Garmin Dakota 10. I like it. Here's my initial reaction:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yeniceri/

My newest toy, a Garmin GPS for outdoor activities. It's definetely not suitable for indoor action such as urbex etc.. I couldn't connect any satelites in my house with this. But it works alright in the streets. It came with a great worldwide map and an even better local one. I had no trouble finding smaller streets and buildings of importance. You could use this as a car navigator if it had the option to direct you verbally. It won't tell you to turn right or go back, it's mute. Other than that I had no problems with it at my first trial. It has no entrance for memory cards which is a shame since it's internal memory is only like 835 MB or so. But my map is up to date so I don't think I will personally need that many new maps to upload into the GPS. Touch screen works great. Screen is a little dim by default but you can make it brighter at the cost of batteries. I can't wait to try it in the field this weekend. I think I like it apart from the satellite connection problem while indoors. Also I'd rather have it in tacticool colours. Being a military person, I don't like these bright yellow/orange tones. I have to camouflage everything baby!

I wish original package included belt clips or bicycle clips. You have to buy them seperately if you want. I couldn't find any accessories in local stores. I'll probably have to buy them from eBay or something.

Works with 2 (two) AA batteries. Claims to be waterproof up to 1 (one) meter of water pressure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yeniceri/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:48 am

So I bought a 62 and had a friend load it with heaps of local maps. He works for a local fire authority doing mapping and so he's got all the maps of bushland, contour lines, and every road between freeways and dirt track in the state is now in my gps... took it on a little stomp and it came up with my exact position in a shitty little nothing-track so I'm rather pleased.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:13 am

I was talking to a friend I sometimes go spelunking with, and mentioned I'd like to map the caves we go into. A GPS would mark the entrances no problem, but what if I wanted to map the inside? Is there a unit on the market that has an ability to receive a signal underground? I know that, like a cell phone, the deeper you go, the quicker your signal will disappear, but even if it can handle SOME stone above it, it would be better than a string and a compass- I'm tired of writing it down all the time.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:39 am

Man I doubt it I have seen thick canopy throw off signal. Also trying ot get a grid inside a hard concrete structure is normally a no go.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 am

gravediggerfour wrote:Man I doubt it I have seen thick canopy throw off signal. Also trying ot get a grid inside a hard concrete structure is normally a no go.
I was afraid of that- oh well, at least I didn't drop a ton of cash on one, just to cuss it out later. Thanks.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 am

You gotta do it D&D style, with graph paper and a ten foot pole.

Oh, to add to the confusion on Garmins, they're bringing out a new updated range of Etrex models this winter. Mmm, shiny.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

navajojoe

Post by navajojoe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 am

Um,

Okay so has anyone tried the Garmin Foretrex 401? I was looking for a good GPS which I can have MGRS and also have it on my wrist. Any thoughts on this ? I don't want an other watch, but need MGRS due to using Military maps. Thanks all 8-)
Navajo Joe
"Keep your powder dry"

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:37 am

It was recommended that I buy that model from one of my Army mates who took one over the Afghan for a stint there.
It was AAA though and I only buy things in AA these days

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:15 am

https://forums.garmin.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have an Oregon myself; the above forum may be helpful...
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

Return to “Other Gear”