Garden hoe I made for myself

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Garden hoe I made for myself

Post by Storm Crow » Mon May 23, 2011 1:07 am

I currently live in an apartment not far from my shop. I don't have a garden, but there is a bit of a yard, and it grows a lot of grassburrs. If you aren't familiar with these, count yourself lucky. They are resilient plants and their seeds are little spheres covered with spikes that have microscopic barbs. These can easily drive deeply enough into unsuspecting flesh to draw blood and hurt like the devil to pull back out. The seeds grow in clusters, and when dry will scatter at the slightest disturbance, spreading themselves and attaching to anything mobile so they may come to soil further afield. These end up in my carpet, where they are suddenly encountered with my bare feet.

So I need to hoe the plants in my apartment's yard before they can produce seeds. I didn't have a hoe. The ones available for sale at Home Despot and similar stores are heavy, ugly, with blades at the wrong angle, likely as not made in Communist China, and generally unsatisfactory.

Good thing I have a power hammer.

This is what I forged out last week. It is forged from a single piece of scrap leaf spring that I had in my shop. I hardened and temepred it, and managed to find a handle to put it on (it was actually more difficult to find the handle than to make the head because stores expect you to buy a new tool rather than replace a handle, a sure sign of our degenerating civilization ;) ). It is held on by friction at the moment, but will be receiving a screw to help hold it on if it becomes loose.

It's lightweight, is at the correct angle for use, and is much more interesting and beautiful than what I could have found in a store. It's almost sculptural in form. And most importantly, it works well.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Re: Garden hoe I made for myself

Post by Ad'lan » Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 am

Very Nice!

They don't make tools like they used to.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon May 23, 2011 1:13 am

Looks like one my Grandfather had when I was a nipper - I.E. A proper tool not a mass manufactured piece o poop
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks, guys!

Ad'lan - Even the farily decent hoes that my family used in the fields to hoe weeds out of our crops before i was born (and still use to hoe grassburrs and cockleburrs and such) had to have the angles of their necks altered to get it correct. There are a lot of subtleties in physics and biomechanics that goes into making a good using tool.

Fletch - I made one for my Grandpa when I was in high school, with my dad's help, using scrap from my great-grandpa's farm, on my great-grandpa's anvil. Four generations connected with it, and I'm the only one still alive. I still have that hoe, and use it when I'm home. It's a bit heavy, so no one else wants to use it, but I'll put up with the weight for the memories.

fungusmunkey

Post by fungusmunkey » Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm

If you ever offer these for sale I would be interested! Something like this would last the rest of my life.

Modern hoes are the worst garden tool made these days, i destroy them way too often. Rakes are #2 on the destruction list followed by shovels, but those tend to last longer.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon May 23, 2011 2:19 pm

I approve of everything in this thread.

I was actually surprised that my local Home Despot had bare handles for sale! I assumed everything went the way of the throw-away society but apparently the handyman and do-it-yourselfer still has a bit of a market for tool maintenance, as they had bare, sanded, sealed handles ready for your favorite tool attachment.

I tell ya what, it's hard to find a good yard tool, too. I had to buy a steel tine-rake for weed in the garden, and a hoe, and sheesh.. it's hard to find a well attached tool and not some stupid stamped steel piece of crap that's just screwed to a hunk of wood or fiberglass, or just wedge-fit into the thing. Then most of the tools aren't even a solid piece of steel, but rather are TACK WELDED onto the bar attached to the handle. They looked like the first bit of surface rust would render it broken after a decent swing into the dirt. I had to buy the second-most expensive tool they had, just to get a decent, forged, monolithic hunk of steel. Sheesh.

Your piece there looks fantastic! There's a lot of character in that metal, man. The grain, the tool marks, and the craftsmanship.. it is fantastic! Love your work, so no surprise there..

Now if I could only keep those dang kids off my lawn!

BlueSilkRibbon
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Walking Dead
Location: Pocono Mountains, North Eastern Pennsylvania (NePa),

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Mon May 23, 2011 2:29 pm

Very nicely done although I prefer a back alley Ho to a garden Ho
Zombie Patrol: It's like neighborhood watch...with Zombies.
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Worksmanship at it´s best! :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 24, 2011 1:48 am

How well does that rounded head cut the soil as opposed to a straight blade? What kind of soil are you using it in?

Nice looking hoe BTW, you would never find one in the stores because to make it more functional and nicer looking you used extra material and labor. Such considerations are left by the way side with simple objects. Nice job.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 am

What else have you built? It's great to see somehow who can just go back to his shop and build a new tool when he needs one or mends one he broke.

xombiechow
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn (original), Day (original), LOTD Shaun, 28 Days, Versus, Fido!

Post by xombiechow » Tue May 24, 2011 3:30 am

Nice!
"I aim to misbehave..."
D-Train wrote:You had me at "post-apocalyptic".

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 am

fungusmunkey wrote:If you ever offer these for sale I would be interested! Something like this would last the rest of my life.
^This

This is a fantastic looking hoe, if you ever do decide to make a few to sell, let me know.

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Wed May 25, 2011 12:22 am

Fungusmonkey and Confucius - I'll take y'all up on that if y'all're serious about buying one. I need to take another look at what it takes to make this and figure a price, and I'll send you a PM.

JamesCannon - They do carry some handles, but their selection is very limited. I couldn't find a hoe handle there. Their sledge hammer handles are too big to fit a hand decently.

Blacksmith - Seems to do fine, though I haven't had a chance to do much more than test it out. I think I'd make the steel of the neck thicker on the next one just for insurance, but it'll do fine against anything that isn't woody. As for the soil, fairly standard dirt. Not gumbo, clay, sand, caliche, rock, or what have you. Just dirt. :)

Crimson Phoenix - Hammers, axes, machetes, knives, drawknives, chisels, adzes, garden trowels, fireplace tools, etc. Check out the ax I just posted over in Other Weapons.

congochris

Post by congochris » Wed May 25, 2011 6:29 am

Storm Crow making garden tools? :shock: Oh man, I need money. I just want a garden rake (the three pronged ones) that won't break or bend in the Colorado Clay. I've been through more of those damn things than I like to think about.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 am

Storm Crow wrote:Fungusmonkey and Confucius - I'll take y'all up on that if y'all're serious about buying one. I need to take another look at what it takes to make this and figure a price, and I'll send you a PM.
Provided the price is right (which is admittedly a rather fluid measurement depending greatly on how much money is in the bank and how well my car is running) for the head I'd absolutely buy one. It's a piece of extremely functional art that could stick around long after I kick it, I don't think there's a store-bought hoe that any of that could be said about.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Wed May 25, 2011 1:26 pm

I've sent a PM too, but just wanted to chime in as interested in a hoe.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed May 25, 2011 2:32 pm

Very nice.

IMO a hoe is the most useful gardening tool ever invented and one that is often overlooked. It is the original back saving tool.

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Wed May 25, 2011 3:01 pm

I...

I...

I don't think I've ever lusted after a garden implement before. :oops: :lol:
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

Rainbird
Favorite Zombie Movies: Traditional - Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (New Version), Resident Evil 1+2

Non-Traditional - Shawn of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Rainbird » Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Great Job!!!

How did you ancor the head to the handle? Did you put them together with the head still hot?
Just curious. :)
Zombies?! Hell, This is Wisconsin, even the living kill and eat each other!

2now

Post by 2now » Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Nice tool, how sharp did you make it?

please add me to the "how much is one?" list
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Storm Crow

Post by Storm Crow » Thu May 26, 2011 12:28 am

All right, officially added, along with camp axes, to the lineup of offerings from Helm Enterprises, Forging Division: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/2011/05/g ... d-for.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rainbird - This one is friction-fit. I used a drawknife, shaved down the end of the handle, tried it, pulled it off, checked where it was contacting, shaved some more, and so forth until it was contacting all the way around. Then I tapped it down. I can knock it back off right now if need be, and if it gets loose I will add a screw hole. Those for sale will have a screw for extra assurance.

2now - Sharp enough. :mrgreen: It has a good edge.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am

65 is a good price for the head, I'll have to see how things are next payday.

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Thu May 26, 2011 9:42 am

raptor wrote:Very nice.

IMO a hoe is the most useful gardening tool ever invented and one that is often overlooked. It is the original back saving tool.
Only if the handles are long enough. Grandad's hoe handle was longer than he was tall so he didn't have to bend over to use it. He made it himself from a shaved down cedar sapling. These 4-5 foot handles on most tools are back breakers.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 am

If you haven't read Gene Logsdon you're missing out.

Here is what he's written about a good hoe

http://thecontraryfarmer.wordpress.com/ ... sbad-hoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other Gear”