Gas Mask for smoke?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Erratic

Gas Mask for smoke?

Post by Erratic » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi all. I've spent many hours reading through this sine website. First of I would like to say thank you for all the great information that people have shared..even if it has given me much more work to do :)
I was thinking about picking up some Israeli M-15 Gas masks with NBC filters for the family. I know they would be a very long shot used in biological attack but I figured there would a bit better chance than using a wet cloth. What I could see then being used for is if there was a local forest fire. Has anyone tried the mask out with regular fir smoke? Or what type of canister should I be purchasing for smoke? I'm just hoping they would help with the eye burning and inhaling the nasty smoke while trying to escape. I would prefer a SCUBA set up but at the moment it is out of my budget. So I hope there will be enough Oxygen to breath.
I have tried searching for the answer on here but didn't find anything definitive. Sorry if it has been covered already.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
~ Albert Einstein

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Gas Mask for smoke?

Post by DrGonzo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:51 pm

I would think that they would be helpful to filter out airborne particulates, smoke from your eyes and cover your face from embers. One problem though:

Oxygen.

Gas masks are merely filters, not an oxygen supply. Fire consumes oxygen, so a gas mask would be of no help in that situation.

If you do get a mask, get extra filters, learn how to use it and maintain it. They're not the magic solution that many people think they are.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:27 pm

If your worried about forest fires and getting smoke in ya...Don't since look at wildland firefighters. They use well nothing most the time or just a drop cloth in front of their face. Some use a filter type to keep soot out but the amount of oxygen there is able to sustain them and a raging fire.

In a forest fire scenario you'll be fine a N95 should be more than you need. Hell a bandana would do you wonders.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Erratic

Post by Erratic » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply's.
So if I had the M-15 mask on and stuck my face into smoke from a campfire, would it allow smoke removed of harmful chemicals to enter or would it only allow clean air in?
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
~ Albert Einstein

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 pm

A gas mask will get messed up with smoke. For smoke, like was said, a n95 or bandana will work decently, but if smoke is the main concern, get a smoke hood. It has a filter made for smoke, where a gas mask does not.

http://thetravelinsider.info/travelacce ... kehood.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

Matsuo

Post by Matsuo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:39 am

A GI gas mask will not take out carbon monoxide... You can use a mask to escape vapors, soot and othor airborne particulates but CO will not be deterred . In an outdoor situation unless you are fully engulfed there will be enough ambient oxygen to allow you to escape, but you really ought to GTFO ASAP.

ETA Sticking your head in campfire smoke with an M15 is not a good idea, see note on carbon monoxide above.

M
I've got a message from the action man.... " I'm happy, hope you're happy too. "...

MATSUCORP!

Erratic

Post by Erratic » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Matsuo wrote: ETA Sticking your head in campfire smoke with an M15 is not a good idea, see note on carbon monoxide above.

M
Noted thanks :)

For fire smoke I'll assume the mask isn't going to be any better than an N95 with goggles. I should probably find a filter more suited to dust and light smoke a well.

Thank you for you help guys.
~ Albert Einstein

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:16 pm

In my experience, gasmasks also don't work with chemical smoke (Smoke grenades). All it does it suffocate you, which, after taking in a lungful of smoke, you may wish you had chosen, but in the long run, hacking shit up for 2 hours is actually preferable to o2 starvation.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:04 pm

The answer is 30 minute fire door with a smoke seal strip in the frame between the living/cooking area and the place where you sleep.

It will also need stanless steel hinges that are fire rated, all in it will work out cheaper than smoke hoods or masks for everyone, plus a fire door is very attack resistant should you need to lock it - keeps out smoke - keeps out bad guys, it's a win/win door.

jmstevens2

Post by jmstevens2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:45 pm

The mask will work for filtering out the nasty stuff, just be sure you have PARTICULATE filters. CO and low O2, not so much. They work great on CS (Chemical Smoke or tear gas) as well.
What a lot of people don't realize is that there are 3 basic types of filters and you need the correct one. That is why the US got away from the M 17 and went to a canister that is much faster to change filters. Also you need to properly "clear" the mask once on or there will be smoke or whatever inside the mask to start with.
Homeland security issues a mask with chem/bio filters and a particulate where I work.

scottiej

Post by scottiej » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm

This is a good post, as a fire is a FAR more likely survival situation than a biological outbreak. That being said, there are several emergency bio-masks available that might work just as well as military surplus.

As for failure, I think heat might be a factor. Do you really want a piece of rubber on your head in the middle of a forest fire? Will filters work under extreme heat, or will they melt and become impermeable? Wet cotton isn't nearly as flammable as synthetic materials. I don't know the answers to these questions, but someone surely does.
"Now you see evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

Erratic

Post by Erratic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for you input so far guys. I think if I'm close enough to melt the rubber in a forest fire I have BIG problems.
~ Albert Einstein

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Pretty good scoop so far. I muck around in burning buildings for a living, so here's my $0.02.

You don't have to worry about flammability with respirators. If the fire is intense enough to melt the silicone straps and light the filters on fire you've probably already been dead for several minutes. If I recall, our structural firefighting SCBA masks start to delaminate at around 600 F. Those temperatures are not surviveable by a person who isn't kitted out in a really fancy, expensive set of protective clothing.

As far as simple wood smoke being a health hazard, the fact that wildland firefighters don't use some type or respiratory protection doesn't mean that they shouldn't be using some type of respiratory protection. We used to have some old-timers who "didn't need no pussy air mask" to go into fires. They're all dead of lung cancer, heart disease, Parkinson's, etc., or are otherwise out of service. Even campfire smoke is full of nasty shit - - that's why your eyes burn and you sneeze when you get a snootful of it... :wink:

A mask like this (http://www.toughweld.com/products/7702- ... r-1-2-mask" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) with a multipurpose filter will probably get you by if you need to drive through an area that has moderate amounts of forest or wildland fire smoke present. It will NOT help you survive a structure fire. As others have mentioned, the mix of toxins that is present in structural fire smoke will render you incapacitated in seconds, and dead shortly thereafter. You need a supplied air respirator for that. You best bet for structure fire prep and survival is prevention (sprinklers, good housekeeping, etc.) incipient fire control (using extinguishers) and early warning (smoke detectors) and escape.

As an aside, an involved civilian shouldn't EVER need a filter to survive a forest fire. Unless one starts in your backyard while you're asleep you should have ample warning to evacuate the area before smoke becomes a major issue. Pack your shit and leave. People who stay behind to try and ride out the storm or protect their house with a garden hose are fools.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Return to “Other Gear”