My cook system so far....56k think twice

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

My cook system so far....56k think twice

Post by American_Infidel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Been getting bored during the Christmas break so me and the kids have been playing around with some of the gear I have accumulated over the past year. One of those items is a collapsible stove I bought from The Machinist and is detailed here
I used a homemade plumbers stove (also called hobo stove) that was an old 8 oz. varnish can filled with cotton balls and denatured alcohol. Over the years and since the alcohol is hygroscopic, the can rusted from the inside out and instead of the flame coming out of the top, it came out of everywhere :shock:
So that was the motivation for me to play around and build another stove.
After searching around for one that would work with the energy bottle can I found, I stumbled across this instructable that was made out of the very can I had. Tools were simple: a hacksaw, a half-round file and 1/16" drill bit. The instructable instructions were straight forward so I won't go into too much detail, just some crappy cell phone pics.

Took a little over 5 min to get a full rolling boil for the 8 oz. of water that was in the cup.
Now I am on the lookout for a utensil or two and maybe some kind of lid for the cup and maybe some kind of small pan.
Welcome to Erf

111t

Re: My cook system so far....56k think twice

Post by 111t » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Looks good, the only thing i would suggest since you're looking to add a pot, is that the side burner design favors a wider pot. It looks from the pic that the flames are licking well past the sides of the cup. The windscreen surely concentrates some of the heat to the cup. I've always thought its better to have the flame strike the bottom of the pot as squarely as possible. I recommend one of the MSR stow away pots.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 am

Funny, I made a pop-can stove that used a soup can for a windscreen/pot stand, that I would use to boil water inside one of these bottles! I dont know why I didnt think about using one to make a stove :D its not that much differnt then then bud bottle ones.

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

Post by American_Infidel » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:34 am

I was going to make one out of those aluminum Bud bottles, but I was having problems finding them in my area. I happened upon the energy drink can first.
Welcome to Erf

Return to “Other Gear”