Fenix flashlights?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Folly

Re: Fenix flashlights?

Post by Folly » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:18 pm

Have any of you guys ever considered mounting a Fenix for a weaponlight? I know they don't tout them as such but I just wondered if the shock absorption set up was enough to withstand recoil. I know Surefires are definitely the gold standard but a little high on the price range for the lumens I want. Just checking...
"I went out back and I got my gun I said, You haven't met me, I am the only son." - Mumford and Sons

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Folly wrote:Have any of you guys ever considered mounting a Fenix for a weaponlight? I know they don't tout them as such but I just wondered if the shock absorption set up was enough to withstand recoil. I know Surefires are definitely the gold standard but a little high on the price range for the lumens I want. Just checking...
Sounds like an interesting experiment. Seriously. Try it and let us know how it works out.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Folly wrote:Have any of you guys ever considered mounting a Fenix for a weaponlight? I know they don't tout them as such but I just wondered if the shock absorption set up was enough to withstand recoil. I know Surefires are definitely the gold standard but a little high on the price range for the lumens I want. Just checking...
What is your intended use?

For indoors, I find it hard to believe you can't find a Surefire in your price range. Fenix may very well be able to work for that intended purpose, but I don't feel like trusting it to do a job it wasn't designed for.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Nope. Call me biased, but I'd prefer to stick to a flashlight designed for that kind of duty and with a track record of solid performance - Surefire, for example.

The multi-mode electronics are particularly susceptible to recoil damage and light misfire - Fenix is by no means the only brand; any flashlight not specifically tested for firearm use/recoil effects is potentially at risk.

Your mileage may vary.

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Just for the record I have a TA20 and I have had it mounted on both a X39 and 12ga. and it works just fine.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't say I've put thousands of rounds on it yet, but if it fails I'll report back. :D
WWSD?

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:21 pm

I run a few lights, with most modded:

INOVA X5 - Durable as all hell, but not super bright, they do make nice Tac lights.
Surefire G2 with a Malkoff M60LL
Surefire G2 with a Malkoff M60 Flood (Dont remember designation, maybe M60LF?)
Surefire G2X Pro - Factory LED; two mode- 15 Low (45 Hrs) 200 High (2.5 Hrs). Push button tailcap: Click once for 15, click off/on again for 200, click off/on again for 15. You can do momentary too, and cycle between High/Low in momentary also. Using it as a strobe is possible, but you get a 15/200/15/200/15 strobe, which by my testing is still useful. I see black spots :lol:

I'm still deciding whether or not to keep the G2X Pro, I'm contemplating trying a Fenix. I really wish the TK40 had less modes, because I'd love a super bright light while not spending $500 on a Surefire Guardian, but I dont want 10 modes or whatever like the TK40 has. G2X does have Alum. head which I like, with the light polymer body.

I think I might try out the TK15. Only 4 light levels + button momentary strobe
Low: 5 lumens, 152 hours
Medium: 47 lumens, 23 hours
High: 143 lumens, 6 hours 25 minutes
Turbo: 337 lumens, 1 hour 50 minutes

For a simple, go to light, I think I will forever pick a Surefire G2 w/ a Malkoff drop-in. Damn simple, damn bright, damn reliable.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Heads up on the Pro - the Pro and Tactical models have not done as well as the rest of Surefire's line for weapon use.

So says CPF, anyway.

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Tperkins

Post by Tperkins » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:36 pm

TMedina wrote:Heads up on the Pro - the Pro and Tactical models have not done as well as the rest of Surefire's line for weapon use.

So says CPF, anyway.

-Trevor
Yeah, just from going over it it seemed like it isnt suited well for it. When I buy my 870, I'll probably run my G2 Malkoff in a rail mount, and eventually switch to a scout light or get one of the pistol lights so I can switch between my 870 and my Glock
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Folly

Post by Folly » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 pm

[/quote]What is your intended use?

For indoors, I find it hard to believe you can't find a Surefire in your price range. Fenix may very well be able to work for that intended purpose, but I don't feel like trusting it to do a job it wasn't designed for.[/quote]

I really want a light that is good for indoors, 60- 120 lumens and one that will also throw a great distance if I have to go outside, 150-225 lumens. You also bring up the point in question that I have- If I am in a situation that requires me to shoot at night, do I want the light to possibly go out at the worst moment? I know the true answer, spend the money and get the light that's tested and proven for the job I want.
"I went out back and I got my gun I said, You haven't met me, I am the only son." - Mumford and Sons

Tperkins

Post by Tperkins » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Folly wrote:

For indoors, I find it hard to believe you can't find a Surefire in your price range. Fenix may very well be able to work for that intended purpose, but I don't feel like trusting it to do a job it wasn't designed for.[/quote]

I really want a light that is good for indoors, 60- 120 lumens and one that will also throw a great distance if I have to go outside, 150-225 lumens. You also bring up the point in question that I have- If I am in a situation that requires me to shoot at night, do I want the light to possibly go out at the worst moment? I know the true answer, spend the money and get the light that's tested and proven for the job I want.[/quote]

Well if your weapon mounting it, thats where its "not as good". However, if your using it by hand with a pistol, it should be just fine.
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Folly

Post by Folly » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Tperkins wrote:
Folly wrote:

For indoors, I find it hard to believe you can't find a Surefire in your price range. Fenix may very well be able to work for that intended purpose, but I don't feel like trusting it to do a job it wasn't designed for.
I really want a light that is good for indoors, 60- 120 lumens and one that will also throw a great distance if I have to go outside, 150-225 lumens. You also bring up the point in question that I have- If I am in a situation that requires me to shoot at night, do I want the light to possibly go out at the worst moment? I know the true answer, spend the money and get the light that's tested and proven for the job I want.[/quote]

Well if your weapon mounting it, thats where its "not as good". However, if your using it by hand with a pistol, it should be just fine.[/quote]

My full intention is mounting it on an AR but I do want something reliable. What would you guys recommend from Surefire that falls in the criteria area? Sorry if this is getting off topic... :oops:

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 am

It probably is getting off-topic just a smidge - people can argue for days the pros and cons of various setups.

Do you want a dedicated weapon light like the Scout series, or a flashlight-mounted system?

A flashlight mount is all sorts of more complicated and I suggest you do some research on price and positioning of various mounts: Vltor and Larue are two examples of lots of manufacturers out there.

And you have to decide on a flashlight size, which may impact the size of mount available, etc.

-Trevor

ETA: Since you're talking indoors and outdoors: M61L - balance of runtime and output. Best used for close to mid range.

Folly

Post by Folly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for the info and input, definitely appreciated. :D

Lionheart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead both the original and remake, 28 days later and 28 weeks later, the first night of the living dead, Planet Terror and even though technically i got it in an audio book world war z.

Post by Lionheart » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I recently upgraded and bought myself a TK15, specs on it say that it has dual recoil absorbing springs so I personally wouldn't hesitate to mount it on my shotgun much less on a rifle with less recoil but I don't intend to since I love it as an EDC light. While Fenix certainly isn't Surefire I have my TK11 as my shotgun light and it hasn't failed yet with the rounds I've shot with it mounted but I would recommend a Surefire over my setup but as a semi low budget set up mine is pretty good.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Al Swearengen

Tperkins

Post by Tperkins » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Lionheart wrote:I recently upgraded and bought myself a TK15, specs on it say that it has dual recoil absorbing springs so I personally wouldn't hesitate to mount it on my shotgun much less on a rifle with less recoil but I don't intend to since I love it as an EDC light. While Fenix certainly isn't Surefire I have my TK11 as my shotgun light and it hasn't failed yet with the rounds I've shot with it mounted but I would recommend a Surefire over my setup but as a semi low budget set up mine is pretty good.
How do you like the TK15? I'm thinking of getting one
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Lionheart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead both the original and remake, 28 days later and 28 weeks later, the first night of the living dead, Planet Terror and even though technically i got it in an audio book world war z.

Post by Lionheart » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Tperkins wrote:
Lionheart wrote:I recently upgraded and bought myself a TK15, specs on it say that it has dual recoil absorbing springs so I personally wouldn't hesitate to mount it on my shotgun much less on a rifle with less recoil but I don't intend to since I love it as an EDC light. While Fenix certainly isn't Surefire I have my TK11 as my shotgun light and it hasn't failed yet with the rounds I've shot with it mounted but I would recommend a Surefire over my setup but as a semi low budget set up mine is pretty good.
How do you like the TK15? I'm thinking of getting one

I really like it and I'd recommend it to you but I can't say I've put it through it's paces since I haven't even had it a month yet but yeah it's user friendly and the modes it has are useful and it has a pretty good battery run time. The only way I wouldn't recommend it to you is if you happen to have the TK11 R5 simply because the difference between 337 lumens of the TK15 and the 285 lumens of the TK11 R5 isn't great but even then I find the modes of the TK15 to make up for it IMHO.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Al Swearengen

Folly

Post by Folly » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Just a quick note on the topic of Fenix as weaponlights, I remembered seeing this when I was researching them a few months ago-

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=47

If I was Fenix I wouldn't illustrate an option I didn't want consumers trying if it didn't work. Thoughts...?

EMT.Ford

Post by EMT.Ford » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Anyone have any experience with Sunwayman http://tinyurl.com/Sunwayman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? They have a selector ring like Fenix TA20.
Ignorance is not knowing; stupidity is not asking.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 am

Folly wrote:Just a quick note on the topic of Fenix as weaponlights, I remembered seeing this when I was researching them a few months ago-

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=47

If I was Fenix I wouldn't illustrate an option I didn't want consumers trying if it didn't work. Thoughts...?
I think you're giving them too much credit for moral and ethical responsibility. Of course, your mileage may vary.

-Trevor

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Post by NX02GT » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 am

Didn't read all posts, but will throw two pennies at you:

I love Fenix lights, I got them for my shop and we use them to inspect our aircraft. Crew Chiefs are insanely hard on tools, and these are the only lights I've seen them not completely destroy in just a few months. I carry one with me everyday and have taken the same one on numerous deployments. For the price, screw Surefire. I was so mad when I realized how much I paid for my last surefire vs the Fenix, which was smaller than any light surefire made at the time, yet brighter than any I could afford.
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Post by Murphnuge » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Just took a sip of the kool-aid and bought a PD30. We'll see how it stacks up.
Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:04 pm

I recent purchased a Fenix TK12 R5. It took me a little while to get use to cigar holding it, but now I'm diggin it. :D

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Trebor3

Post by Trebor3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:46 pm

I have the LD20 and I love it. Love that it runs on AA. I want a TK45. My friend has a TK45 and uses it driving his boat at night.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: Pocket Clip of the Fenix LD-20 Flashlight.

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Browning 35 wrote:I bought a Fenix LD20 for $54 a short while back...(Snip)

Disadvantages :
  • None so far.
Okay...in the time I've owned this flashlight (a month and 3 weeks) I've only found ONE drawback...the pocket clip when it's carried in the front left pocket and you're driving.

I've had it get hooked on the seatbelt of the ambulance once and the seatbelt of my truck once, completely thought I'd lost it.

The first time it got hooked on the seatbelt once I realized that it was gone I looked everywhere for it. After looking every place I'd been in within the last couple hours in an attempt to find it; no luck. I was pretty bummed out when I couldn't find it as it's become a real favorite in a short amount of time because I use it quite a bit. Anyway a few minutes later the tones at the station go off, we get a call, we go to the ambulance to check en-route and take off and there it was...Hanging off the damn seatbelt in plain sight.

The second time it got hooked on the seatbelt of my truck and after realizing that it was gone I went right to my truck and there it was...Hanging off the seatbelt again. Since I lost it that second time I either carry it in a cargo pocket without the clip or I'll use the provided belt pouch that it came with for free. I haven't lost it since. That's the only problem I've had with it.

I love this thing and it's come in real handy. My co-workers, friends and my brother-in-law are always borrowing it and yesterday my brother-in-law ordered one of these (Fenix LD-20's) for himself, so that says something. I like the fact that it's BRIGHT as hell (180 Lumens), that it uses cheap and easy to find AA batteries and that it's SO small (it's the same size as a AA Mag-Lite Mini-Mag and yet it puts as much light as a flashlight 3-4X's its size).

The pocket clip is the ONLY drawback I've run into period. I just figured I'd mention it in case someone can't find it and they lose their LD-20 because it was pulled from their pocket...in which case it's probably hanging off the damn seatbelt. So make sure you look there first. :wink:

This may have been my first Fenix flashlight, but it won't be my last one. I've been looking for another dedicated 'Bedside Table/Emergency/Home Defense Flashlight' and because it uses regular D Batteries and because it's SO damn bright compared to the 3 Battery D Cell Mag-Lite I've been using the TK-50 Fenix flashlight looks like it might fit the bill.

Fenix TK-50 'D' Battery Flashlight - $85 (*Click For Link*)

I wish that the TK-50 had strike bezels like some of the other models. However the fact that it uses D Batteries outweigh that particular feature and the lumen level on the TK-50 (Turbo: 255 lumens-2 hrs 45 mins/High: 120 lumens-10 hrs/Mid: 49 lumens-63 hours/Low: 4 lumens-480 hrs) it beats my 3 cell D Battery Mag-Lite all to hell and emergency lighting is the real purpose I need it for.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Return to “Other Gear”