Fenix flashlights?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jaddra
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Resident Evil" & "Taking Chance"

Re: Fenix flashlights?

Post by Jaddra » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:20 pm

One more happy Fenix user with the TA21. Excellent quality and price.
"Stay Frosty!"

xtrembowhntr

Post by xtrembowhntr » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:36 pm

getting a LD20 for x-mas

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 pm

squinty wrote:Anyone have experience with iTP lights? (Seem to be bargain knockoffs of Fenix.)

Do a search here. I own several of the A3 Eos upgraded, WoodsWalker did a review of them. Nice little lights.

As to the original question about Fenix lights, I think 11 of the top 50 lights on the flashlight review site are Fenix lights. That says a lot given how many manufacturers there are today.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:23 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:
squinty wrote:Anyone have experience with iTP lights? (Seem to be bargain knockoffs of Fenix.)

Do a search here. I own several of the A3 Eos upgraded, WoodsWalker did a review of them. Nice little lights.

As to the original question about Fenix lights, I think 11 of the top 50 lights on the flashlight review site are Fenix lights. That says a lot given how many manufacturers there are today.
Search for "iTP" fopund nothing, "iTP flashlights" got this:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/search.p ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll try searching woodswalker's posts, but went ahead and orfered an iTP SC2 Eluma. It's good.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 pm

squinty wrote: Search for "iTP" fopund nothing, "iTP flashlights" got this:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/search.p ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll try searching woodswalker's posts, but went ahead and orfered an iTP SC2 Eluma. It's good.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 34&t=56224

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Post by Murphnuge » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Isn't Fenix a Chinese company?
Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:38 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:
squinty wrote: Search for "iTP" fopund nothing, "iTP flashlights" got this:

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 34&t=56224
Thank-You!
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 am

Murphnuge wrote:Isn't Fenix a Chinese company?
Yep.

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Post by Murphnuge » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:26 pm

TMedina wrote:
Murphnuge wrote:Isn't Fenix a Chinese company?
Yep.

-Trevor
Just checkin', thanks!
Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:30 pm

I have a TK20, L2D-Q5, LD10-R4, E01, Leatherman S1-S2 (made by Fenix) and HL20. All are great lights but can’t imagine any of them being more durable than most Surefires with the possible exception of the TK20 which is a freak of nature for a 2XAA flashlight.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:42 am

They might be - and I'm not going to re-ignite a flame war on a topic that hasn't been beaten to death yet.

I will point, however, that Surefire abuses a substantial portion of their lights with recoil stress tests and other forms of strenuous abuse. For the vast majority of consumers, that's a useless bit of trivia because they will never, ever run their lights through anything vaguely resembling that kind of abuse.

However, .001% of people don't mind spending extra for that peace of mind.

And before anyone cries foul, I'm inventing numbers to illustrate the point. :?

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

squinty

Post by squinty » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:36 pm

TMedina wrote:They might be - and I'm not going to re-ignite a flame war on a topic that hasn't been beaten to death yet.

I will point, however, that Surefire abuses a substantial portion of their lights with recoil stress tests and other forms of strenuous abuse. For the vast majority of consumers, that's a useless bit of trivia because they will never, ever run their lights through anything vaguely resembling that kind of abuse.

However, .001% of people don't mind spending extra for that peace of mind.

And before anyone cries foul, I'm inventing numbers to illustrate the point. :?

-Trevor
Too late! Foul!

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Heh.

-Trevor

Tireur

Post by Tireur » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Olight > Fenix IMO

I carry an Olight T25 canoeing and after two years getting doused, banged, sat on and even chewed by a beagle it's still fine. Olight isn't as well known in the states but it's a Euro made competitor to Fenix and Surefire, all are excellent lights but Olight tends to come up just a hair ahead in almost all categories at the same price of a Fenix.

But just by a hair.
I did not slap you in the face, I high fived your head and your hands did not get in the way.
Epicest th'd evah http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=29034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RepeatDefender
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like 'em all!

Post by RepeatDefender » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:56 am

My Olight box says "Made in China" :?:

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Tireur wrote:Olight > Fenix IMO

I carry an Olight T25 canoeing and after two years getting doused, banged, sat on and even chewed by a beagle it's still fine. Olight isn't as well known in the states but it's a Euro made competitor to Fenix and Surefire, all are excellent lights but Olight tends to come up just a hair ahead in almost all categories at the same price of a Fenix.

But just by a hair.
I have a T10 with extra T15 body that resides in my BOB when not packing the G2Z with M60LL.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 pm

Woods Walker wrote: I have a T10 with extra T15 body that resides in my BOB when not packing the G2Z with M60LL.
*head s'plodes with alphabet soup*
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 am

ninja-elbow wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: I have a T10 with extra T15 body that resides in my BOB when not packing the G2Z with M60LL.
*head s'plodes with alphabet soup*
2008 Olight T15, Fenix LD10 and Quark Mini AA. The T15 becomes a T10 when I change out the tube to 1XCR123. I prefer the Fenix LD10 (XP-G R4 LED) to the Olight T15/T10 but there are some pros to the Olight like a lower low mode and a reflector/LED (older XR-E Q5 LED) combo that throws better.

The Surefire G2Z is well known but did few mods to mine. Changed out the plastic bezel/window to an aluminum head/Pyrex window and added a M60LL for looooooooong runtimes at around 50-60 lumens.

The Surefire has a twisty tail cap and with the Malkoff drop-in there isn’t much that can go wrong.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/drop ... -1_14.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:47 am

Heh. I actually almost posted translations, but I felt a little silly for doing so.

I didn't have the spiffy photos though. :D

-Trevor

cucaracha44

Post by cucaracha44 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:45 am

I received these a couple of weeks ago and I'm well pleased with my purchase.

The top one is the Fenix LD20 (2XAA, 180 lumens max, ~$55).
2nd is a 4Sevens Quark123 (2xcr123, 230 lumens, ~$55).
3rd is 4Sevens Preon2 (2xAAA, 120 lumens, I paid $40 but normal price is $55).

All of the above have various Lo/med/Hi setting, and other features like strobe, SOS.

The bottom one is a Fenix E1 (1xAAA, 10 lumens, $15).

A doubleA, for scale.

If I could only have one of these, I would choose the Preon2........ its just so light weight (42grams / 1.5ounce), and is easily carried in a shirt pocket.
Its brightness level, on max, is plenty, and I don't notice a huge difference versus the 230 lumens light.

I chose these after seeing some Nutnfancy-Youtube flashlight reviews and seeing good reviews, elsewhere.
As someone else said, Fenix are highly rated on the candlepower forum.

Not shown in the photo is the white diffuser wand, that I would recomend. Turns your torch into a lamp;

I bought these at 4Sevens.com, and a big plus for me was the free international shipping.
They arrived just 8 days after ordering (USA to France), and passed customs without problem.
I didn't pay any import taxes, as I expected to.

If you're thinking to buy from 47's, do a search for rebate codes.
I used "CPF8" and got 8 % off the listed price.
Another thing to know is that they appear to have temporary reductions, quite frequently.
So if you see something a bit expensive now, perhaps in a few weeks it'll be 'on sale'.
They carry Fenix, Olights & Microfire.

I don't work for 47's (honestly) , but I did have a good experience with them, so I thought I'd share.

I hope this helps.

http://www.4sevens.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.4sevens.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cucaracha44 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

cucaracha44

Post by cucaracha44 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:10 am

Edited because I double posted - soz.
(I don't know how to eliminate a post).

But while I'm here does anybody have a link on how to "add quotations" , "add photo's" etc.
I eventually managed to add the photo above, but it wasn't evident from the FAQ instructions.

Thanks

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:13 am

I have an...LD10 I believe? The little one that puts out about 125 lumens. Best light I've ever owned. Ive stepped on it, dropped it in a swamp, and its still going strong.

Boris

Post by Boris » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:22 pm

I really like the Fenix PD20, small enough to EDC, bright, lots of modes, and the Quark Prism Kit will fit it, so I can use it as a headlamp too.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

scottiej

Post by scottiej » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:24 pm

I've owned a Fenix L2D (180 lumens burst) for about 4 years now and I'm very pleased with it. Has never failed and all functions still work perfectly... though it does seem like the half clicks are becoming more sensitive.

I like it so much that I just got myself a HP10 headlamp (225 lumens burst) which I'm happy with. I like the screw closure of the battery box, and the bezel is aluminum, but I would like it better if the body wasn't plastic (though it is waterproof). It's also great that all the accessories for the L2D work with the head lamp aswell (diffuser and red lens). I thinks it's made in Korea, evident by the poor translation in the instructions, but it's still a quality light piece.

Tip that I discovered, don't use cheap rechargables. They outgas and can damage a sealed flashlight. The rubber button on my E2D would balloon out when using cheap Energizers. Go for pre-charged rechargables, they don't outgas. Sanyo Eneloops are awesome, no complaints what so ever. Have had the same pair in my EDC light for months before they go dead.
"Now you see evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

Return to “Other Gear”