Fenix flashlights?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Fenix flashlights?

Post by Dogan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am

Just got my E20. Going to test it out tonight, go trekking up and down the stream, then post pics and review. :mrgreen:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I'll be interested to hear your opinion - I wasn't that impressed.

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Well it's going up against experience with a Surefire E2D LED Defender, Streamlight Scorpion, Duracell Daylighter, Icon Rogue, and LED 2 AA, 3 AA and 2 D mags.

Also have a LD01R2 and LD20 coming.
Last edited by Dogan on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMT.Ford

Post by EMT.Ford » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 pm

We have been looking at the TA20 due to easy of operation between all function settings instead of "programming". Has anyone used any of the TA series? What made you choose your particular model?
Ignorance is not knowing; stupidity is not asking.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:26 pm

EMT.Ford wrote:We have been looking at the TA20 due to easy of operation between all function settings instead of "programming". Has anyone used any of the TA series? What made you choose your particular model?
I really wouldn't worry about the "programming". It's very simple, just button clicks, really. One click your on low, another click and you're on medium, a third and you're on high. Really simple. The flexibility of being able to run in low power for 40+ hours or high power if you need it is really a great feature.
Looks like the TA 20 offers the exact same features, just through a rotating front instead of the tail switch.

Here's a vid that shows how the controls work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6OBuyF ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still prefer the models that take AA instead of the 123s. Don't want to stock another type of battery if I can help it.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

EMT.Ford

Post by EMT.Ford » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:46 pm

I understand the AA vs 123 issues, but even watching that video you can see that the operation is not as straight forward as the ta20. Having to judge a half click or full click in the field especially with gloves on is not as easy as rotating the head and knowing what mode you are in with one click.
Ignorance is not knowing; stupidity is not asking.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 am

I hate anything with more than a single click or a bezel twist - mostly because I won't remember anything more complicated in an emergency and the more complicated something is, the more likely it is to fail when you need it.

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 pm

The E20 is the brightest light in my stocks ATM, providing better light than the E2D or Rogue. Quality is good. Will post full review later.

jazzman
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later
I am legend

Post by jazzman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Well I have an Surefire E2DL and a fenix LD10 and would put them on par with each other. LD10 is very close to as bright as my E2DL with a bit more diffuse pattern. However its small size and common battery make it my ideal choice for EDC light in my work pants. (slacks) For every other situation where I'm wearing real pants or carpenter jeans, it's the workhorse surefire.
both have been dropped and fairly heavily used.

Surefire's clip is broken, not even from a drop or anything, just broke off one day while clipped to my jeans pocket.
Fenix's clip feels less sturdy but is removable, and puts the glass down (I like). But it hasn't broken yet and the surefire has. go figure.
Fenix has more light modes (like)
Surefire has momentary on (LIKE!)
Surefires bezel is sharper and I feel more useful if needed in a self defense situation.
Surefires clicky tailcap is nicer.

Ignoring the battery issues between the two types I just overall like the operation and light throw/output of surefire better, of these two lites. $.02
I may try the TK12 or something more similar to the E2DL for my next light to replace my surefire. This would be fairer than comparing to a smaller light.
N0ZXR

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:58 pm

TMedina wrote:I hate anything with more than a single click or a bezel twist - mostly because I won't remember anything more complicated in an emergency and the more complicated something is, the more likely it is to fail when you need it.

-Trevor
Then the TK12 would be perfect for you. 3 modes... 2 settings for each mode. They are super easy to use. I have mine set to "hunting" mode. Bezel tightened = highest output (250 lumens I believe). Bezel turned 1/4 a turn = lowest setting which is around a lumen.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:46 pm

jazzman wrote: Surefire's clip is broken, not even from a drop or anything, just broke off one day while clipped to my jeans pocket.
Call or e-mail them. They will send you a new clip in about a week. Then, they will send you a new o-ring after the current one flicks off into the void while you are installing your new clip to your light. That's what happened to me :lol:

Mine broke off the same way - clipped to pocket and broke off.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Biggin wrote:
TMedina wrote:I hate anything with more than a single click or a bezel twist - mostly because I won't remember anything more complicated in an emergency and the more complicated something is, the more likely it is to fail when you need it.

-Trevor
Then the TK12 would be perfect for you. 3 modes... 2 settings for each mode. They are super easy to use. I have mine set to "hunting" mode. Bezel tightened = highest output (250 lumens I believe). Bezel turned 1/4 a turn = lowest setting which is around a lumen.
Heh. You already lost me at "3 modes, 2 settings for each mode."

I usually have three or four lights, each with a specific purpose: E1L, EDC. E21 (Used to be a TK20) as a AA backup/loaner. G2Z w/ Malkoff M61LL as a multi-purpose work light. If, for some reason, I anticipate the possibility of an emergency, I can break out a M60 or M61 as an "oh shit" light.

By the bed, I have an E10 for casual use, a G2 w/ M60LL for work and an E2 w/ Veleno dropin for "bump in the night" moments.

On my keychain is a "high" powered Arc and usually in my bag is a Fenix E01, maybe an E05.

I know people do well with and swear by multi-function lights, but anything more than two modes and I start getting nervous. I toyed around with the Fenix TA series, but it was too expensive for my intended usage and it still wouldn't be a "go to" light.

-Trevor

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:46 pm

TMedina wrote: I know people do well with and swear by multi-function lights, but anything more than two modes and I start getting nervous. I toyed around with the Fenix TA series, but it was too expensive for my intended usage and it still wouldn't be a "go to" light.

-Trevor
This is my biggest irritation with the Gen 2 Maglite 2AA factory LED lights. You would not believe how many times I try to get back from 10 to 30 lumens and wind up stuck in strobe or sos.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Which is a damn shame because the x3 AA MagLEDs weren't bad at all - not great, but not bad. If Mag could have started producing reliable x3 AAs or even x2 AAs, they'd be sitting a lot better than they are now.

-Trevor

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 pm

TMedina wrote:Which is a damn shame because the x3 AA MagLEDs weren't bad at all - not great, but not bad. If Mag could have started producing reliable x3 AAs or even x2 AAs, they'd be sitting a lot better than they are now.

-Trevor
Only issue I've had with my 3xaa/2xaas is contact between the endcap and the fuselage - this was solved by a dab of dielectric grease when I changed the batteries last.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:18 am

Just got my LD01 and 2x E20s which are gonna be given as gifts. Gonna test and post review of the LD01.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 am

Anyone have experience with iTP lights? (Seem to be bargain knockoffs of Fenix.)
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

absw

Post by absw » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 am

I have a LD10 that I EDC, Its very nice and does the job. Small but very bright on the highest setting, I have the diffuser cap for it as well which is useful for lighting up the ground around you. I like the fact that it runs of just one AA battery and puts out the same amount of lumens as my 9volt pentagon light, without the cost of the batterys and heat output.

I recommend them :)

G4mbl3

Post by G4mbl3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Tell you what, I didnt read all the posts so I dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but stop over to walmart for a cheap light. The Coleman MAX light is only $25 and comes in a bunch of flavors such as 3x AAA, 2x 123 things, and a bunch of others. I personally got the 3 AAA because the rated time is 6 hours where the others are 2 hours. the power is rated at 115 lumens or 105 lumens, but its bright white lighting, and its a non focusing beam that is combined with focused beam with plenty of flood. It works perfect for me.

Also there are other ones such as a bigger version I think for the same price for 200 lumens and about 3x the rated distance which I personally have not tested but am guessing it is more of a focused beam. Great for those who need a light and dont feel the need of spending $50 or more. Eventually I will splurge and buy a Fenix but for the meantime this coleman works great for me!

BTW unless it is a ungodly deal I will never buy a Surefire. Not because of quality, because a buddy has quite a few and they hold up great ( He is in the airforce in Germany currently) but more as price. To buy a surefire you will spend 2 - 3 times as much than buying something of comparible quality, power and throw.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I don't know about the Coleman, I bought a Coast LED Lenser at Lowes - along with a few "Taskforce" cheapo flashlights for the ktichen drawer. The Lenser was the EDC flashlight for me, 3 AAA and just small enough (not quite one inch diameter, four inches long - about the same size as my Leatherman Wave) with over 100 lumens and good runtime, plus a red tint low power setting. Worked great for a year, but it activated via power buttons on the side of the light, instead of a clicky tail switch, and they can easily get pushed by accident. More than once I've reached into my coat pocket or under my shirt tail, only to be bathed in brilliant white light from within. Which was fun, but hard on batteries. Then after a year it started to get flaky, flickering on and off independent of the switch, and requiring the head to be rotated partially off to get good contact and turn on properly. It's turned to crap.

ETA: this "taskforce" light,

(http://www.lowes.com/pd_225285-50584-FT ... flashlight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

despite being noticeably less sturdy than the Coast, and clearly cheaper, has ticked along for more than a year now of nightly use - including many trips outside in the rain, and sometimes getting dropped in snow, and dust, and cedar chips, and dog poop, and once briefly shaken and chewed by a pit bull (who lit up my neighbors' living room while she did it. They were pleased :roll: .)
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

mtpockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead
Army of darkness
28 Days

Post by mtpockets » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 am

I have that same task force light, It's great I beat the crap out of it in the garage. Been dropped in oil and still works, Doesn't appear to be the best quality though. But in this case I think the internals are very durable, and batteries last a long time.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:49 pm

LD20 is here. Works. Six modes. Review to come.

Also came with my first MOLLE accessory: Its holster/pouch.
Last edited by Dogan on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarTrekGuy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Diary of the Dead, Land of the Dead

Post by StarTrekGuy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I purchased the Fenix TK12 and have yet to be disappointed. I'm incredibly happy with my decision and Fenix flashlights have become my main go to flashlight. I plan on purchasing 1-2 more prior to my next deployment. Everytime I pull out my light, someone always asks me if they can see it, how much it costs, and where I bought it. We even had a lumen contest in the barracks and I had the brightest handheld flashlight (280 lumens max)! It's nice to have a reliable alternative to more expensive brands. I'm just not willing (nor can I financially justify) spending $200 on a (Surefire) flashlight that has a 1 hour battery life. If that is what you want, go for it. I'm going to spend my money on something else.
I'd rather live on the lunatic fringe of society than fester at its' rotten core.

[b]Qualifications:[/b]
-Army Trained 68W Combat Medic
-NREMT-B
-Dual State Certified EMT-B

I Must Not Fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. Fear is the little death.
I Will Face My Fear. I will let it pass through me.
ONLY I WILL REMAIN.
-Bene Gesserit 'Litany against Fear'

RepeatDefender
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like 'em all!

Post by RepeatDefender » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:14 pm

LD10 is my EDC. Small, light, bright, handy. Only one AA batt is a big +
It's proven quite durable too. I dropped it one day/night and didn't notice till I missed it. Pulled back in the drive later on and there it was, having been run over twice. Still works perfectly.

Return to “Other Gear”