Fenix flashlights?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The7thNazgul

Re: Fenix flashlights?

Post by The7thNazgul » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am

My recommendation: 4sevens. Almost bought a Fenix l2d, but went with a 2xAA tactical instead, and have not been the least bit disappointed.

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:24 am

Got an LD20 R5 for Christmas, the light works great. Taken it bunny shooting(Duct taped the bad boy to my silencer on the .22 :twisted: )
And out for a few hunting trips and a survival trip, works great. EXCEPT!(Dun dun dun...) The sheath is really, really stupid. Yeah, if you don't mind fiddling around with both hands to get it out, that's fine if it's worth the peace of mind that it's not going to accidentally fall out. Is hard to get in/out with TWO hands(others may have had different experiences, but that's what mine is like). And the pocket clip, seriously, what the hell was Fenix thinking? Where it is mounted, the whole front end of the torch sticks out of your pocket, opening it up to all kinds of possible damage of the lense. I prefer pocket clips near the tailcap, so it sits snug in the pocket, and protects the lense. I'm planning on getting an LD10 asap for an EDC light, because the LD20 is too long to carry in my pockets all day along with keys, SAK, zippo, wallet and cellphone(Unless wearing cargos) so will get permanently placed in the BOB. Love the accessory kit though with the diffusers! And am waiting for the stockist to get more of the headbands in stock, they look great! I reckon it will gretaly increase the practicality of the light, and save you having to carry a seperate headlamp.
Hope this helps,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

killjoy
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend,28 days later,resident
evil:extinction

Post by killjoy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Fenix = best flashlights availible

you really can't go wrong with any of their lights. I have the: tk20, and LD10, my brother has the TK10, and LD20, one of my friends owns 2 of their lights too. very very high quality lights, most have different brightness levels you can change, and good battery life ( if you buy one, buy one that has a common battery like: AAA, or AA. stay away from cr123, those batteries cost way too much).
They (IMO) are the best brand out there, over streamlight, 4sevens, and yes even surefire(<--- way over priced). buyin a fenix will be money well spent. hope that helped, cheers!
"The future belongs to those who prepare for it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I just joined the Fenix club. I've been recommending them for a while, but never owned one until now.

Pulled the trigger on a LD01R2 a few days ago. Waiting patiently for it's arrival, so it can become my new EDC pocket light. :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 pm

I got in on the ZS group-buy on the TK11 last year and its a good solid light. Its put up with a year of abuse from me and Im usually rough on shit. After a year, its still working perfectly, and the anodization on the body is surprisingly intact.

If Fenix made anything I wanted, I'd not hesitate to get one.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:31 am

The7thNazgul wrote:My recommendation: 4sevens. Almost bought a Fenix l2d, but went with a 2xAA tactical instead, and have not been the least bit disappointed.
I have this flashlight as well and it kicks ass. I must disclose that I do not have a Fenix too compare it too.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

reppans

Post by reppans » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Redeyes wrote:
The7thNazgul wrote:My recommendation: 4sevens. Almost bought a Fenix l2d, but went with a 2xAA tactical instead, and have not been the least bit disappointed.
I have this flashlight as well and it kicks ass. I must disclose that I do not have a Fenix too compare it too.
Fenix must have some good marketing....

I was also looking at good AA lights and nearly went for the Fenix LD10/20, then started doing some research on the flashaholics site - candlepowerforums. Constantly came across comparisons with 4Sevens Quarks - never hear of them before. Seems 4Sevens has everything the Fenix does + quite a bit more (moonlight + beacon mode, stronger and reversible clip, better belt pouch, longer warranty, more modularity/interchangeable parts) which tips the flashlight junkie votes over to 4Sevens.

However, based on customer review on Amazon, Fenix looks like it outsells 4Sevens by at least 3:1 .... is it marketing?

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:02 pm

In some respects, probably. Also, I believe the complexity of the UI for 4Sevens might also be a contributing factor, but I can't prove it. It does, however, factor highly into why I've never gone that route.

Since we were talking about weapon lights a couple of posts ago: First AA weapon light from Insight. According to the blurb, it's a light designed expressly for use on weapons. I'm not a huge fan of Inova in general, but I thought this crowd would find it interesting.

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:40 am

reppans wrote: is it marketing?
Fenix has been around longer so that helps. In my view Fenix has better/more consistent quality control and build though 4/7s isn’t bad. There is a pre flash issue with some 4Sevens lights. Fenix fixed this years ago with most of their lights. I am not downing 4/7 however just providing some potential reasons for the greater sales of Fenix lights.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

connecticut_yankee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by connecticut_yankee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:18 am

reppans wrote:
Redeyes wrote:
Fenix must have some good marketing....

I was also looking at good AA lights and nearly went for the Fenix LD10/20, then started doing some research on the flashaholics site - candlepowerforums. Constantly came across comparisons with 4Sevens Quarks - never hear of them before. Seems 4Sevens has everything the Fenix does + quite a bit more (moonlight + beacon mode, stronger and reversible clip, better belt pouch, longer warranty, more modularity/interchangeable parts) which tips the flashlight junkie votes over to 4Sevens.

However, based on customer review on Amazon, Fenix looks like it outsells 4Sevens by at least 3:1 .... is it marketing?
IIRC 4sevens sold Fenix lights before (and now during) they made their own lights. So Fenix has been around longer and has better market penetration. However, a rather informal polling shows the general CPF sentiment:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=279454

Specifically, the breakdown of the top three brands are Surefire (24%), 4sevens (10%), and Fenix (10%), with 4sevens and Fenix at a dead tie at the time of this posting. They're both good brands of lights. I have purchased both brands, but I lean more heavily toward Fenix for several reasons:

- 4sevens makes a point of having super low "moonlight" modes. I have honestly never liked super low levels of light. I like usable levels of light for a long time. For my personal use, about 2 lumens is the minimum cutoff for me - anything less than that really strains my eyes if I had to read a book or examine something closely. So a Fenix E01 that operates at ~10 lumens for 10 hours is awesome, whereas a Quark AA Tactical running at ~0.4 lumens for 422 hours does nothing for me.

- As a general rule, I prefer single-cell lights to multicell lights. Some people love the 2xAA form factor, but I am not one of them. The Fenix LD/TK20? Not for me. This also rules out 4sevens' multicell lights. Additionally my Surefire lights are my dedicated CR123 lights. I don't feel that 4sevens has anything over my Surefire E1B for single CR123 lights and I feel that Fenix's 1xAA lights are better than 4sevens'.

- I EDC a Fenix LD10 R4. It runs off a single AA cell and typically eats Eneloops but you can also use a 14500 if you don't mind losing the lower modes (and possibly damaging... things). Turbo mode is great, low is solid as a task light. With Eneloops I get more than 100 lumens on Turbo (their stated ANSI rating), probably closer to 120 lumens. A Quark AA Tactical runs at around 95 lumens and for less time than an LD10 R4, primarily because of the circuitry which allows that super low I don't use.

- I put a fairly high emphasis on lumens output for my flashlights. This is because when I get a power outage I bounce the light off my white ceiling to light a room up. I live in Connecticut and sometimes the winter can be chok-full-o-blackout. As a matter of fact I recently acquired a Sunwayled M40A which is a 4xAA (I know, I know - don't call me on the battery configuration :D) ~500 lumen light. It's great. It's interesting because I was deciding between that or a Fenix TK45, but the M40A's magnetic control ring, metal carrier, and battery configuration, 4x versus 8x, won me over.

The 4sevens preflash issue Woods Walker mentioned doesn't really bother me that much, although it seems to be evident in every single Quark I have handled. I should also mention that I dislike inductor whine, and the Fenix LD10 R4 has a quiet whine on medium and high which bothers me. It would bother me more except I almost exclusively use low or turbo mode, so YMMV. However, my Fenix LD10 Q5 has no inductor whine that I can discern, on any of its levels or modes. It also has a smoother beam pattern and no yellow hotspot, but has less lumens output than the R4. The Q5 goes in my backpack and the R4 goes into my pocket. My Quark AA Tactical has inductor whine on low which really irritates me.

The Fenix LD10 clip is bombproof. Apparently it is a titanium coated steel clip. It allows for bezel down carry which is the only way I clip my lights when I carry them. 4sevens actually wins here as their clips are easy to reverse if you want to, whereas even if I ripped the LD10 clip off I'd have to seat it on knurling to get a bezel up option. If I could get a Surefire E1B clip in titanium for my LD10 I'd be golden. Or titanium. Whichever.

@waltcallie
Fenix and 4sevens are both good - I feel that personal preference between the two is determined by usage and not by any particular technical number. I've also had good experiences with Olight, specifically the Olight I15. If Surefire made an L1 in 1xAA with the E1B's reversible clip (in titanium?!) I'd probably buy a dozen of them. I'm curious as to how salt water messed up your Surefires. I've managed to destroy a Surefire E2D before, but that was by doing something absolutely ridiculous.

reppans

Post by reppans » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Great review CT Yankee, you certainly know your flashlights! Would have loved to have read your review when I was researching, but the Quark AA2 is still probably best for my personal needs.

- I'm pretty married to the 2xAA platform as I have been consolidating all my portable electronics around the AA/eneloop platform (sick and tired of propriety Li-ions and their dedicated batts/chargers). I'm an ultra-light traveler and the ability to carry one set of spare batts, and one charger, that can feed multiple devices is very important. Especially in SHTF scenarios, the ability to cannibalize common batts across devices gives you so many back-up options. My GPS, digicam, smartphone backup, UV water purifier, headlamp & lantern, radio, etc. are all 2x or 4x AA based, as are both my AC and Solar AA NiMh chargers. So a 2xAA tactical flashlight fits right into that mix, not only as an illumination tool, but as a back-up batt container.

- Guess I'm a bit opposite than you in that the low output levels are especially important to me and the primary reason I'm going with the 4Sevens. I find that at least a third of the time I really want to use a flashlight (eg, to read, or take a piss), it is either: a) in total darkness after my eyes have dilated, b) in the company of others - wife sleeping next to me, overnight flights, commuter train with lights out (MetroNorth, from a another CT resident!) and c) stealth camping (ie, illegal). So I end up not using one all since even the lowest settings on all my current lights tend to be painfully bright, obnoxious to neighbors, or risk exposing my position. In addition to the moonlight mode, 4Seven's low seems lower than most other brands. I try to stay off the higher output levels for battery conservation, but could see the benefit of Max for self defense, and High for nighttime bicycling.

- On the Con side, I also hear the new Quark AA2 (Cree XPG S2) has a greenish tint, in addition to the pre-flash you mention, but the inductor whine is the first I'm hearing... maybe it's a one-off? Still waiting to receive mine, so we'll see. Here's a more specific poll for the 2xAA, other threads seemed to go the same way, with the moonlight mode being a consistent tipping point. Surefire? ... too rich for my blood, especially in their new AAs.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... 128&page=1

BTW, thanks for the link to that poll, I may become a flashaholic myself, and will look into some of those.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am

connecticut_yankee wrote:However, my Fenix LD10 Q5 has no inductor whine that I can discern, on any of its levels or modes. It also has a smoother beam pattern and no yellow hotspot, but has less lumens output than the R4. The Q5 goes in my backpack and the R4 goes into my pocket. My Quark AA Tactical has inductor whine on low which really irritates me.
This issue seems to be hit or miss even with the same model. My L2D-Q5 makes no sounds on any level. The LD10 R4 has a very very very low buzz on high and strobe that can only be heard if the light is in my ear and then hardly anything. The Quark mini AA (rebranded itp A2 in my view) has a very low buzz on medium that once again must be point blank in my ear to be heard. The TK20, well she is a screamer on high but nothing on the general mode. I like 1XAA as don't need to worry about mixing batteries but like the longer runtimes on high with 2XAA though never really needed that extra power as medium is more than enough.

Reppans.

I hate squid piss green so try to avoid any light that has multiple complaints about this however tint can be hit or miss and within the eye of the beholder.

connecticut_yankee

Post by connecticut_yankee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
connecticut_yankee wrote:However, my Fenix LD10 Q5 has no inductor whine that I can discern, on any of its levels or modes. It also has a smoother beam pattern and no yellow hotspot, but has less lumens output than the R4. The Q5 goes in my backpack and the R4 goes into my pocket. My Quark AA Tactical has inductor whine on low which really irritates me.
This issue seems to be hit or miss even with the same model. My L2D-Q5 makes no sounds on any level. The LD10 R4 has a very very very low buzz on high and strobe that can only be heard if the light is in my ear and then hardly anything. The Quark mini AA (rebranded itp A2 in my view) has a very low buzz on medium that once again must be point blank in my ear to be heard. The TK20, well she is a screamer on high but nothing on the general mode. I like 1XAA as don't need to worry about mixing batteries but like the longer runtimes on high with 2XAA though never really needed that extra power as medium is more than enough.
Yes, I've noticed the hit or miss as well. I convinced my brother-in-law to purchase a Fenix LD10 R4 sometime last year and he doesn't get any inductor whine at all. We don't live near each other so I haven't been near his light so it is possible I have more sensitive ears. Maybe I should get an R5 and compare it to my R4? :wink: Probably not worth it, I know . . .

reppans wrote:- I'm pretty married to the 2xAA platform as I have been consolidating all my portable electronics around the AA/eneloop platform (sick and tired of propriety Li-ions and their dedicated batts/chargers). I'm an ultra-light traveler and the ability to carry one set of spare batts, and one charger, that can feed multiple devices is very important. Especially in SHTF scenarios, the ability to cannibalize common batts across devices gives you so many back-up options. My GPS, digicam, smartphone backup, UV water purifier, headlamp & lantern, radio, etc. are all 2x or 4x AA based, as are both my AC and Solar AA NiMh chargers. So a 2xAA tactical flashlight fits right into that mix, not only as an illumination tool, but as a back-up batt container.

- Guess I'm a bit opposite than you in that the low output levels are especially important to me and the primary reason I'm going with the 4Sevens. I find that at least a third of the time I really want to use a flashlight (eg, to read, or take a piss), it is either: a) in total darkness after my eyes have dilated, b) in the company of others - wife sleeping next to me, overnight flights, commuter train with lights out (MetroNorth, from a another CT resident!) and c) stealth camping (ie, illegal). So I end up not using one all since even the lowest settings on all my current lights tend to be painfully bright, obnoxious to neighbors, or risk exposing my position. In addition to the moonlight mode, 4Seven's low seems lower than most other brands. I try to stay off the higher output levels for battery conservation, but could see the benefit of Max for self defense, and High for nighttime bicycling.
I hear you loud and clear on the traveling light part. When I go long distance (e.g. I take a plane across the world) I take Eneloops and two AA lights. I don't want to be hassled for having a "tactical/weapon" light or getting yelled at for having lithium batteries. Friendly tip from personal experience - TSA may not know the difference, so it may be a moot point.

I've been re-evaluating my "minimum low" ever since I typed my first post in this thread. I recently acquired a Quark MiNi X 123 with XM-L T6. The 1.2 lumens (OTF - not sure why they didn't use ANSI) seems around my bare minimum usefulness for reading. This makes me suspicious that its 1.2 lumen rating is less than the actual, at least on my light. The high is rated at 210 OTF lumens which I think is also conservative. It's a pocket rocket with a usable low for me.

The real reason I purchased it was as a light for my first aid kit. Normally I sit a Streamlight Nano on the zipper of my kit, but I've been mulling that over because the Streamlight Nano, while small and bright enough for emergency pitch black first aid, has the following issues:
- An exposed led.
- Sits outside my first aid kit due to the external zipper it is hooked to (less an issue with the light itself and more the way I place it, but I don't want to let it roll around in my kit and then not be able to get at it quickly.
- Has on occasion, in my father's pocket, managed to unscrew itself, separating the head from the body and spilling its coin batteries.
- Uses coin batteries.
- Could be brighter and some more flood would be nice.

Now that I've played around with the Quark MiNi X 123 for a while I kind of like it. I'm actually not sure if I want to delegate it to sitting in my first aid kit. A short list of pros and cons:
Pros:
- Low is usable for me.
- High is really bright for how small this light is; barely larger than the cr123 battery it houses.
- Even without aggressive knurling I can operate it one-handed fairly easily. If wet I have a more difficult time - I have to squeeze it really hard against my palm to hold it while my index finger and thumb rotate the head.
- The XM-L is floody, and the orange peel reflector evens it out even more.
- Single cell; this is a very small light.
- Does not get too hot even on high mode (YMMV - I don't find that the Fenix LD10 R4 gets too hot on turbo, but some people say it's too hot for them to hold with bare hands).
- Low is supposedly 100 hours at 1.2 lumens. I haven't tested the low yet, but the high mode lasted for well over an hour, although by the 45 minute mark it was noticeably dimmer. At 90 minutes it looks roughly like it did on medium with a fresh battery.
- Tailstands easily, even with the included split ring installed.

Cons:
- I never liked twisting a flashlight head multiple times to access modes. That said, I don't plan on ever using this light's other modes, so this is not a huge deal for me.
- The spring at the tail end is a flimsy piece of junk. Out of the box it was bent out of shape and was mashed up against the side of the body. I wouldn't trust the spring to hold under shock, which is why I would use it as a backup first aid kit light as opposed to an EDC. It is large and tall enough to continue to serve as a contact even if it was crushed, though.
- The threads felt a little weird. There was no cross threading or grit in the threads, but sometimes there was a grinding noise when I twisted the head. I cleaned the threads and re-greased them with Nyogel 760G and haven't had an issue with them again (yet). I switched between modes fine.
- There is no anti-roll without the lanyard, and the lanyard is a little ridiculous. It is not that the lanyard is of poor quality, it is that the Quark MiNi X is so small and portable that next to the gigantic lanyard they give you it makes you wonder why they bothered. I would have preferred a clip (it does not come with a clip, nor do I see a good place to mount one if I had a clip that fit it).
- Because it has no clip I am unsure of how I would attach it inside my kit. My first aid kit does have two zippers so I may just attach it to one and fold it so it sits inside and the other zipper sits outside.
- I have no idea how the driver will take an RCR123 battery. The 4sevens site states it does not take RCR, but the manual that came with the light specifically states it can. However, it also states that the operating voltage is 3.0V, so we'll see if I'm brave enough to stick a AW LiFePO4 3.2V in there (hey, it works in my Surefire E1B, right?). Possibly I'll just discharge it down to 3.0V and store it with that.
- Cycles low -> medium -> high. I'm a high first kind of guy, but this isn't a deal breaker for this kind of light and what I need it for.

I am most interested in how long the low lasts and if this thing can eat "dead" CR123 batteries. If it can scavenge from my Surefires that would make me happy, even if I don't end up sticking it in my first aid kit. I would have liked to see how the XM-L looked with a half smooth/half textured reflector.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:45 am

LD10 is officially shitting the bed for no discernible reason :?
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 pm

connecticut_yankee wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: I recently acquired a Quark MiNi X 123 with XM-L T6.
I want a XM-L light but can't find anything yet that fits my needs. How is the tint on yours? It seems the higher Bin XP-Gs from 4/7 are running green so wonder if the same is true for the XM-L.

BobtheBreaker.

If tightening the retaining ring and cleaning the contacts is no longer helping I would contact Fenix.

connecticut_yankee

Post by connecticut_yankee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I want a XM-L light but can't find anything yet that fits my needs. How is the tint on yours? It seems the higher Bin XP-Gs from 4/7 are running green so wonder if the same is true for the XM-L.
The one I have is a somewhat green/yellow. The green is not terribly noticeable unless you're hitting a white wall - it just seems like a yellow hotspot to me during normal use (around the house, outside at night). If you would like I can post beamshots compared to some other lights I have. I should warn you that I am not well versed in photography. I do, however, have a white wall and a Pentax Optio Z10.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:39 pm

I pulled the trigger on a Fenix TK40 last Thursday, and it should be arriving here tomarrow. I dont really have a goot spotlight at all, and decided to get it since I was able to snag it for about $40 off. It'll mostly be a light to keep in my truck for Search/Rescue/Emergency Ops, but will come with camping if weight isnt an issue. It'll be my first Fenix, but I decided to try em out; 600 plus lumens sounds nice :mrgreen:
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:39 am

My E01 died while in FL. I am not happy. Gonna do a postmortem on it sometime in the future.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

thehighlander123

Post by thehighlander123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:24 pm

i had a pd30 r4 edition that finally bit the bullet after about a year of use in a heavy gasoline/diesel fuel environment. the flashlight was soaked atleast once a week in either of the fluids. the O-rings got eaten away to the point where the interior would become wet and it finally killed the board. It still work in only low mode now.

My point is if u are using it where u might get some fuel on it, it wont last long...

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Oh no this just fucking died. No rough use, didn't even get wet yet. :evil:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:14 pm

quackfiend wrote:Oh no this just fucking died. No rough use, didn't even get wet yet. :evil:
Clean the contacts? Battery issues?

(Still reccomend the iTP eluma if you need a replacement edc light.)
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:23 pm

squinty wrote:
quackfiend wrote:Oh no this just fucking died. No rough use, didn't even get wet yet. :evil:
Clean the contacts? Battery issues?

(Still reccomend the iTP eluma if you need a replacement edc light.)
Cleaned everything, changed the batts, nada. The head (which contains the on-off switch) seized solid. The light is three parts: Fuselage with 1 aaa, switch, head. All twist together. Can't seperate the head and switch (which twist to turn the light on, off) with a bench mounted vise and visegrips.

Also the iTp seems pretty good, but it's about 2x too big for replacing my E01, which was my keychain light. May get one tho just for an EDC/general purpose light.

Lakewalker
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later.
(I prefer Zombie books or The Walking Dead comics)

Post by Lakewalker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 pm

I've had a LD20 as my EDC for a little longer than a year.

I really like it and for those who are worried about the options of light output being confusing, it is really no issue for me. If the bezel is fully tightened, when you click on the light you are automatically at it's highest output...push it again and you are on the fast strobe light. For other uses when you don't want as bright a light just turn the bezel a half turn and it's on the lowest setting and you can than cycle through the other settings which includes a SOS strobe.

The only thing I have not liked about it is the clip only allows for bezel up carry. I tried putting the clip on for bezel down carry which is more inconspicuous and have finally lost the clip...there is no slot in the tail cap for the bezel down, i was just using the cross checking on the tail cap to hold it on...i should have glued it on or something like that.

Some of the accessories are neat too, though used infrequently...such as the reading torch attachment and red light lens.

I think i'm going to get a LD10 for my EDC which is set up for bezel down.

Folly

Post by Folly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Ok, just received my new TA20 today and so far- really impressed. The four modes of operation are awesome with the 225 lumen setting being my favorite so far. It isn't quite as heavy as I thought it would be so that's a plus. The adjustment ring is very tactile and feels solid, not sloppy. My intended purpose is to mount this on my AR for a weapon light. It's going to be kind of an experiment since it's not really common to see one mounted as such but several guys on here have done it. They do mention this application several times on the website and in the directions that came with it. My thought is I'll mount it on my rifle, run the hell out of it and after say five hundred rounds or more if it's still working, should be good to go. If it puffs within the first hundred rounds, pull it off, order a new bulb or component, order a surefire (piss wife off at same time), and resume shooting with the new light attached. I'll post updates to let everyone know how it works out...
"I went out back and I got my gun I said, You haven't met me, I am the only son." - Mumford and Sons

Return to “Other Gear”