Fenix flashlights?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

waltcallie

Fenix flashlights?

Post by waltcallie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 pm

anyone have any experience with Fenix lights? i refuse to buy another surefire, streamlight, or mag product. none stand the test of time for me, which is fine if your not spending big money but not fine once you get around $100. thanks in advance

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: Fenix flashlights?

Post by Chef » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

In my limited experience, Fenix is pretty awesome for the money.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Xspectre8
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's <insert time> of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Zombi 2, Herbert West: Reanimator,
(anxiously awaiting film adaptation of "World War Z")

Post by Xspectre8 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 am

In my collection of EDC lights I have some rather pricey trick units, but I still end up carrying either a Fenix LD10 or LD20 every time, often both. Big fan

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:51 am

I'm afraid to ask what you did to your Surefires to turn you off on the brand.

I like Fenix - I've always had good results; the beam is a little too focused for me, typically. All throw, no spill.

The Fenix TK20 was adopted by the Calgary PD, so that should tell you a little something. I've owned the TK20, the E21 and a number of the smaller models and I use them pretty regularly.

Do you have an expected use in mind for your next light?

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 am

I've worn and used my Tk20 for a few years, and I love it. For the price, they give surefire a run for its money as a non-weapon mounted flashlight.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 am

I have lots of flashlights, mostly SureFire and Fenix. The Fenix I have have worked well for me.

And on a side note, SureFire obviously has felt the presence of the competition because they introduced new models recently that have more features and better price points.
WWSD?

Lionheart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead both the original and remake, 28 days later and 28 weeks later, the first night of the living dead, Planet Terror and even though technically i got it in an audio book world war z.

Post by Lionheart » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 pm

I've been carrying my Fenix TK11 for 6 months now and I have nothing but good thing to say about it, it's withstood the blazing heat of a Phoenix summer and put up with whatever else I've thrown it's way. Just about everyone I know who owns one says nothing but positive things about theirs and they're not terribly expensive so I would recommend them.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Al Swearengen

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:30 pm

I have 3 of them and they have worked without any issues. I'd buy more if I need to.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

waltcallie

Post by waltcallie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

TMedina wrote:I'm afraid to ask what you did to your Surefires to turn you off on the brand.

I like Fenix - I've always had good results; the beam is a little too focused for me, typically. All throw, no spill.

The Fenix TK20 was adopted by the Calgary PD, so that should tell you a little something. I've owned the TK20, the E21 and a number of the smaller models and I use them pretty regularly.

-Trevor
lets just say i work a lot on the water, salt water that is. of course i was working with the older models (surefire 6p and streamlight poly stinger) but they were never completely submersed or anything crazy. i purchased new lamps and batteries for both with no success.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:01 pm

LD20 and TK12 here. I love both and want to get a few more :D

I used the TK12 recently when I was deer hunting. Two friends who were with me now have the TK12 on their wish lists. You will not be disappointed.

FlungPup
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by FlungPup » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I've got a PD20 and PD30 and I'm going to order another Fenix and get some rechargables with a charger. Great bang for the buck, Fenix is.
Swing Your Fists While You Still Have Them!

"Successful outcomes breed bullshit solutions." - Paul Gomez

mtpockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil dead
Army of darkness
28 Days

Post by mtpockets » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Got 2 P3D's, I thought I lost the 1st one, freaked out and ordered another before I found the original. I have replaced the tail switch on the 1st one, I was only about buck and a half. I work with 2 other guys that have them aswell, all and all great little flashlights. I don't know about holding up to salt water though.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 pm

I bought a Fenix LD20 for $54 a short while back since I'd been without a powerful flashlight (I have 4 Mini-Maglites, but they're not as good IMO) that would fit in a pants pocket since I put my Surefire G2Z on my AR-15 for hog hunting/home defense and so far I love that flashlight.

Advantages :
  • It's small, it fits well in a cargo pants pocket and it has a clip which keeps it in place well.
  • It works on 2 AA batteries (so I don't have to buy CR123A lithium batteries which are slightly uncommon and a little more expensive).
  • It's REALLY bright on it's highest setting (it's lumen setting is adjustable).
  • I could use it as an improvised weapon if I had to due to the strike bezels.
  • It has a strobe function for signaling or to blind someone momentarily.
  • I have no doubt that I could also break auto glass with it as well.
  • The two tabs at the tailcap keep it from being turned on accidentially and draining the battery which was somewhat of a problem with the Surefire G2Z when it was in my pocket or in a bag.
Disadvantages :
  • None so far.

All in all although I've only had it a matter of a few weeks I'm pretty happy damn with it and it costs half of what a Surefire E2D does.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:39 pm

waltcallie wrote:
TMedina wrote:I'm afraid to ask what you did to your Surefires to turn you off on the brand.

-Trevor
lets just say i work a lot on the water, salt water that is. of course i was working with the older models (surefire 6p and streamlight poly stinger) but they were never completely submersed or anything crazy. i purchased new lamps and batteries for both with no success.
Dude, that's just bizarre - I don't know how salt water exposure would frag a basic flashlight. And the Fenix lights aren't water-proof; water resistant to a certain submersion level, but that's about it.

Have you looked at the contacts - the springs and the inside of the light and seen corrosion or salt build-up?

-Trevor
"We can’t just go with MBAV because it’s out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Also, get a tube of silicone lube from the hardware store and lube the threads on the tailcap before you take your next light to work.

-Trevor

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:41 am

I have a Fenix TK45 that I use as my "duty light" as a police officer. It's blindingly bright, gets banged around on my belt throughout my 12 hour shifts.

I'm not sure if Fenix is owned by 4Sevens, but 4Sevens sells Fenix on their website. I think 4Sevens is starting to take the cake on quality and price-point, but they are both of spectacular quality and great price point right now anyway. The only 4Sevens light I have right now is a Quark Mini123, and I LOVE it.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:19 pm

waltcallie wrote:anyone have any experience with Fenix lights? i refuse to buy another surefire, streamlight, or mag product. none stand the test of time for me, which is fine if your not spending big money but not fine once you get around $100. thanks in advance
Ive got a TK11 that I've been abusing for over a year now, it's still fine and dandy. I've dropped it more times than I can count, and the anodization is worn off all the corners and raised parts now. I'll take a picture of it tonight.

They're good quality.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Fenix TK40. My favourite LED flash-light.

I moved away from Surefire because I wanted something that ran off AA batteries. Now all of my gear runs off AA's and I have a solar charger.

Has about 8 modes including a super bright strobe function.
"Spooky action at a distance."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Ugh, how about a battery holder not made out of plastic? :(
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 pm

crypto wrote:Ugh, how about a battery holder not made out of plastic? :(
The clear bits are heavy duty plastic and have a metal contact running around them. The black bars are actually metal threaded rods with a plastic covering.
"Spooky action at a distance."

Spander
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Notebook

Post by Spander » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:29 pm

I've had a L0D on my key chain for a least a year now and it works great. I have a couple others and all have worked well for me for the price.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Fenix lights are great kit.
I have the LD10 and LD20 and recommended them to everyone now.
They're also very highly rated on flashlight reviews: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the LD20 review. It's currently the #1 light.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

kgeter
Favorite Zombie Movies: The ones with Zombies

Post by kgeter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 pm

i have a fenix tk20 i think, great light for the money i wore it on my batbelt at work (EMT) and it did great. i Recently bought a surefire 6px and i really love the light. the batteries are more expensive but it is a lot brighter. the big think that made me go with the surefire was the plastic holster that makes one handed drawing and reholstering very easy, something i didnt get with the fenix. also the fenix was longer than i liked (i know not all are long but the one i had was) over all i think fenix lights are great but i wouldnt count on it to hold up better than a surefire.

TMedina

Post by TMedina » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:19 am

The TK20 is longer, in no small part, because of the batteries: the TK20 uses AA batts; the Surefire line runs on CR123s.

-Trevor

Return to “Other Gear”