First-Line Gear

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

First-Line Gear

Post by Dave_M » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:29 am

My first-line gear

BHI belt
Glock 34 /w TLR-1 in Blackwater holster
HSGI drop-leg
BHI single mag pouch (with a gerber in it)
5.11 blow-out kit
BHI double mag pouch
Kydex double mag pouch modded to fit on a MOLLE platform

The fastex clip on the left is for the dedicated dump but I'm trying out a maxpedition (currently enroute)

Let's see yours
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

jazzman
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later
I am legend

Re: First-Line Gear

Post by jazzman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:40 pm

The last time I used it, it was a

Regular us GI belt (like VN issue ones)
HSGI Suspenders (awesome)
2 TT Pistol Mag pouches with twistie ties to hold them to the belts holes. (if you use the only molle attachments they just slide around the belt, the twisties keep them in one spot)
TT drop leg molle rig (right side) containing following:
1 Molle mounted Serpa holser for 1911
2 HSGI pistol mag pouches. which are used for an extra tac light and a multitool.
Usually a folding knife in the leftover molle toward the front

However I have not used any of this gear in several years. I just felt it sacrificed too much in the way of comfort and movement ease. If I need a lot of gear I am going to be wearing my vest, and I just put EVERYTHING in that. If I don't need so much gear I am grabbing my maxped colossus and packing everything in/on. Just my personal preference of course. I look forward to hearing about everybody else's rigs.
N0ZXR

Geardo

Post by Geardo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Here is what I run.

It started off as my duty rig for overseas service. It is a combination of private purchase and issue gear.

After coming home and the issue gear was turned in, I went to the surplus store and made some modifications. The first aid kit is light. I have larger ones on my load bearing gear and in the ruck. The magazine pouches for the pistol mags have since been updated, to something better.
This will ride well with load bearing set ups I have or as a stand alone.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:04 pm

What I've been using this year and modifying as I go along and find out what works for me:

Don't mind all the shit above the belt; it's my over-nighter kit for dirt time.

Duty belt and pad
(l-r)
2 mags and pouch
Gerber Prodigy knife
Surefire G2 and pouch
holster and 92fs
pouch and multitool

Recently tried out:
Drop leg (as supplied by Geardo) holster, just like the one he has pictured but black. Like it but see the limitations. Will keep using that until further notice.

Thinking about:
Removing the fixed blade knife.
Adding a utility pouch with FAK and some EnE gear.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

MikeCharlieUniform

Post by MikeCharlieUniform » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 am

No picture yet. Still working everything out, cobbling something together out of what I have on-hand.

Old-school GI Pistol Belt. On it, from left-to-right moving around my back:
2 pistol mags
2 AR mags
1 large pouch for shotgun shells (there for 3-gun; I don't really like it, and probably wouldn't consider it part of my full-time first-line gear)
empty spaces for a dump pouch in the rear, and a blowout kit (both to be added once I get a padded "war belt" setup)
Blade-Tech holster at about 4 o'clock in FBI cant, using a drop-and-offset rig. Or at least, it would be, if I *had* a D&O setup with a Blade-Tech attachment that could fit my belt. For now, the holster is running on a rigger's belt just below the pistol belt (which seems to approximate the location the D&O would put it), to be moved once I acquire the necessary hardware. I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade this to some kind of retention holster.
This leaves a little room from about 3 o'clock around to the front on my strong side - that'll be reserved for stuff like a multitool and flashlight, which is normally on my left hip in my EDC setup.

Trying to figure out where to put the Gerber LMF II. There doesn't seem to be room on the left, which would be the natural place to put it, IMO. I may have to get a smaller fixed-blade to put in the "administrative" area on the front right.

My plan is to run this at the 3-gun this weekend (I'm in, Dave - got my ammo yesterday) and see what works and what doesn't. I may move back to a drop-leg, but if I do I'm going to invest in a good holster, instead of the POS I've got on my drop-leg now. It feels like it takes an eternity to unbuckle the retention strap. Plus, moving it to the belt might make the whole rig more concealable than a drop-leg. I'm probably going to eventually replace the pistol mag pouch with something faster without sacrificing retainment (those velcro straps slow things down, but I'm afraid I'm going to drop mags without them in the crappy pouches I have now).

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:34 am

Will post a new pic tonight.
Last edited by TerryGecko on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Bianchi Accumold Belt
Safariland 6004 drop with with two mag pouch
Sig Sauer P226R in 40
5" custom knife
2 30rd mags in Bianchi Holder
Streamlight 6p
Bianchi double mag pouch
H suspenders
I am debating dropping the double mag holder and adding a small e&e kit and IFAk, simply to be more in the spirit of first line gear. I may have to try it and see how my vest fits over the top of it.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Hmmmm I can see now that I don't have what yuns call "first line gear"
I'm interested and I have some duty belts and other goodies.
Whats the definition and philosophy behind this first line gear. I wanna build one too.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:38 pm

I have two First-Line Battle Belts (one is OD and one is CB / MultiCam).

Here's the OD.........

* BHI Enhanced Web Belt
* BHI CQR Drop Leg Holster (with a Gerber 600 MultiTool in the front pouch)
* BHI Escape & Evasion Pouch
* (2) BHI Triple Handgun Pouches
* SpecOps Combat Master Sheath (with Compass, FireStarter, Knife Sharpener in front pouch)

* Knife = ScrapYard Scrapper 5
* Sidearm / Secondary = Glock (either a 17, 19, 22 or 23)

I keep my Trauma Kits on my Chest Rigs (OD is a 762Tactical Operator's Rig & MultiCam is a TT 2pc MAV)
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:17 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:Hmmmm I can see now that I don't have what yuns call "first line gear"
I'm interested and I have some duty belts and other goodies.
Whats the definition and philosophy behind this first line gear. I wanna build one too.
Well, without looking it up and acting all smart like I know a lot about it (in other words, laymen's terms :P ) it is your "first line" of defense. It's the first thing you put on in a situation were having firearms is part of the day or your first layer.

For mine I think:
pistol
knife/tool
light
an EnE kit that allows me some capability to survive in the wilds if I had to dump all my shit and run or for whatever reason.

I had to look it up though...

From some random web site:
The “line” concept of gear
The line concept of gear is about layering the equipment that a person needs to survive and complete a mission. It mostly refers to the items that you would carry on an actual patrol, or while engaged in combat. But the idea can be extended to what you would (or should) carry every day or on a camping/training trip. Line gear is individual and should be suitable to your budget, training, fitness level and mission concept.
and
First Line Gear
This is basically the things you would carry on your person. This would include your clothing, knife, personal weapon and maybe a small survival and first aid kit. There is a difference between the things that you would have if you were heading to the woods with the idea of training or fighting and the things that most people would have with them on an every day basis. The things that you carry on a normal, everyday basis are frequently called the “everyday carry” or EDC.
Other people here are way more versed in this subject than I though.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

First line gear pic thread

Post by nimdabew » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:05 am

I have a US Grunt Gear Infidel padded belt and on the belt I have:
- Blade-Tech light bearing holster in FDE for a M&P9 and TLR-1 and a drop and offset holster option (DOH)
- Ka-Bar Tanto 5.25" blade, full tang
- Maxpedition rolly-poly
- Tactical tailor single M4 mag pouch
- HSGI Taco mag pouch
- 2 Eagle FB pistol pouches

Works for everything including traing classes, zombies,a nd gneral house defense if you are already wearing it. 2 pistol reloads, 2 rifle reloads. The second rifle reload is being held in my the bungie just because I don't want to worry about it coming loose out of the pouch if I am running or doing something even mroe extreme. I have a 35" waist and the medium belt is starting to get a bit small on me. I also have a TT 2-piece MAV that has a 3 rifle mag shingle, an admin pouch, and a few other things in case of bad ju-ju stuff. Anyways, what do you guys have as your go to gear for zombies?

Last edited by nimdabew on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: First line gear pic thread

Post by Dave_M » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:07 am

Multiple dupe and also wrong forum. But don't worry, I'll merge it proper
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:09 am

Here is an updated pic:

Bladetech DOH /w extra offset
Kydex/plastic/whatever mag holders are also Bladetech
Nylon is BH
Knife is a Rat RC-3
Last edited by Dave_M on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Merrill

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 am

:oops:
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:12 am

Hard to believe, I know, but I run ATS gear. :lol:
This photo is of my training set up; it's simpler than my other configurations. An ATS Triple/Triple works well in place of the Safariland M77 fast mag pouch. Depending on the needed load out, I may also add a couple double stack pistol mag pouches, too.

This photo shows my MnP with the light and CTC grip, but it's on a Safariland MLS system so I can swap this holster off for the same model (Safariland ALS on a Safariland UBL) that fits my G17's; with light and without. The holsters will hold the gun without the light, but it's not as smooth to draw and return.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 am

Instead of making a new thread on this I figured I would ask this here. I need a new duty belt as my old one broke (the plastic liner snapped after I bent it too much to fit into a bag). Right now I am leaning towards a Tactical Tailor duty belt or one from our own Chute43. My only real requirement is that it must be available in black.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Haji
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil 1,2, and 3, and the Samuel scene from Diary of the Dead. I'm working my way through the worst of them of late, too.

Post by Haji » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 pm

TT makes an excellent belt, and so do Eagle Industries and several others. I'm most partial to Safariland (I have a Border Patrol belt that, while expensive, is bad ass) and Ares Gear are also awesome. There are lots of good choices in quality belts.
I don't carry a gun in case I get in a gun fight. I carry a gun because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get in a gun fight. - Officer Timmy

http://www.atstacticalgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:35 am

I am actually totally overwhelmed by belts now. I really wish I could see some of these in person. Trying to get better pics now.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:27 am

I'm not sure if I like that BladeTech Dave. Maybe I'm just feeling old, but it just doesn't look to secure. Atleast a snap strap or something.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

olbaid_dratsab

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:47 pm

It looks like the AR mags and knife handles would hit off of other gear like the pistol. Why arn't these dropped down too? Is there a pouch I can get for an AR mag to drop it down a few inches too?
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:55 am

I like to keep it simple and light.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:18 am

No pics yet, but I'll try to take one later.

I have a simple tac vest that I bought from a friend extremely cheap, along with a belt. I have my own thigh holster attached.

The vest was originally a crossdraw, but I removed the holster and modified the vest so it would hold a Molle pounch instead, which carries my FAK and a knife. Also it holds 3 AK mags and 3 USPc mags; the thigh holster holds one more USP mag. I also have a POS compass :wink:

Camelbak-style hydration carrier on the back.

Weapon is a WASR10. My 3-day BOB can be slung over the top of the vest, under the weapon sling.

Works well so far.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:30 am

Vest-plus-Camelbak is heavier-dutier than first line. At least where I come from.

"First line" is last ditch, what stays on you when everything else gets dumped. To be honest, my everyday "first line" is a pocketknife, a lighter, a bandanna, and my wallet, plus a twisted mind and a heart full of hate for all the bullshit and idiots I have to put up with in the course of daily existence. It's not much hardware-wise, but I know it inside and out, and it beats an awesome internet loadout that I rarely actually bother to carry around IRL.

If anybody wants to tell me how I can carry one of my handguns in a pair of elastic waistband kitchen pants over a hot stove all day, I'm all ears.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:29 am

"First line" is last ditch, what stays on you when everything else gets dumped. To be honest, my everyday "first line" is a pocketknife, a lighter, a bandanna, and my wallet, plus a twisted mind and a heart full of hate for all the bullshit and idiots I have to put up with in the course of daily existence. It's not much hardware-wise, but I know it inside and out, and it beats an awesome internet loadout that I rarely actually bother to carry around IRL.
That sounds like EDC more the 1st line. Thou I suppose for some people they could be interchangeable.

Return to “Other Gear”