Jaws' underwear+ thread

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Agent_Jaws
Favorite Zombie Movies: RE series, Dead series, 28 series

Jaws' underwear+ thread

Post by Agent_Jaws » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 am

A while back I was asking for suggestions on good underwear, you know, something better than the 3 pack for $7 type. I got tons of recommendations and tried a couple, and here are my thoughts on them. First, Under Armor:

Under Armour 9" Boxerjock
Price: $20
Source: PX
Composition: 91% polyester, 9% elastane

Under Armor makes decent gear but a lot of people complain about the price. At $20 per pair for underwear, it is a tad expensive. My time with this underwear had me walking around a lot in 115+ degree heat and sweating profusely. I found that this pair fit a lot more like compression shorts than regular boxer-briefs, which in some ways I can see that being good but in others not so much. For one, it definitely feels more like an exercise underwear, like something that would be great for jogging or intense athletic activities. It's not quite as comfortable when lounging as I like my boys to have SOME movement, and don't like my legs feeling so restricted. For normal walking and even hiking/rucking, they're ok but feel a bit like they hug the skin too much. I would wear these for more intense activity like running or sports, but not hiking/camping. They don't take up much room in a pack at all and they are pretty light, so there's not really much good reason not to pack a few if this is what you have.

ExOfficio Give-N-Go boxer brief
Price: $25
Source: REI
Composition: 94% nylon, 6% Lycra spandex

In similar situations to the UA underwear, and I've been using these as my preferred undies for over a year now. They are pretty much awesome in that they're comfortable, breathe well, and provide support without feeling too restrictive. They don't sweat up like regular cotton undies and are great for daily life at camp or at home. They don't provide as much compression/support as the UA undies, but I don't think it'd be a problem getting into athletic activities while wearing these. They are pretty thin which makes them really light, but if you have a leaky tail pipe then just be aware of that (hey it happens to the best of us sometimes). At $25 per pair they are spendy, but my nads haven't been eating through them as fast as regular underwear, so they may be worth the investment if you can afford it.

Hanes boxer briefs
Price: 3 for $10
Source: pretty much anywhere, Wal-Mart/Target/wherever
Composition: 100% cotton

Now I wore these kinds of underwear for years, even out in snow and rain and everything else, and the cotton never killed me (as evidenced by this post). I did get pretty irritated every time I would sweat or get wet and end up with that swamp crotch ball in between my legs, which is what started this whole thing. Decent underwear if you're on the cheap, but walking around in 115+ degree heat sweating buckets makes these pretty dang irritating to wear. I think I'd rather free ball it instead, but they are still comfortable for lounging around in the cold or nice air conditioned rooms. After doing much hiking and what not, in addition to combat ops, I think I'll leave these for those days when I don't have to go outside.

If you already have underwear you like, great. If you're currently wrapped up in newspaper and need something, then go cheap. If you can afford to pamper your scrot a little then I highly recommend the ExOfficio undies. Very comfortable and great for taking to the trails (on top of giving your package a nice sexy wrapper).

Almost forgot about the + in this post. I also picked up a McNett Microfiber towel from the PX for about $16. A little spendy for a towel, but it is very compact compared to regular cotton towels. It dries pretty well but differently than a regular towel, you kinda have to pat yourself dry as the microfiber doesn't lend itself well to rubbing against the skin. It's kinda hard to describe how it feels, but it definitely dries very well, both drying the person and also in drying itself off afterwards. I hang mine up in the room and within a couple hours it's bone dry and ready to use again. I found the large size to be great for showering and what not, plenty of surface area to dry off and still have room for more. Another sweet piece of travel gear if you're not staying in hotels and stuff along the way. Not too many places where you'll be in a situation where you have access to a shower but not to regular towels, but I'm sure the industrious among us can find more uses at a camp site for a towel.

That's it for now, I'm hoping to get some more gear in soon to do reviews on. Funds have been low lately but we'll see what happens.

Jaws' junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread

I joined ZS on Halloween!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Jaws' underwear+ thread

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks, I was planning on doing a similiar thread after 2 years of new skivvies :lol:

Main difference for me is that I am looking for something that would support my plumbing a bit better. I decided that the next time I buy some UA briefs I'm getting one size smaller (large as opposed to XL) to give my that support. I also started liking sport briefs (little more material than Sppedo-types) for support as opposed to the boxer-brief types.

I agree with you on the cotton skivies too. When it gets humid, they get soggy.

The best thing about the UAs though is if you find a swimming hole and don't like the naked thing, you look like you're wearing shorts.

I guess I will venture into TMI but it is true that the closer you get to 40, the closer they get to the ground. Used to not have this issue but it is something to be talked about when discussing skivies I guess. :shock:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

wolfrage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland! Rule #1!

Post by wolfrage » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:13 am

Depends - most functional under garments you can find :D

You could always go with GI Tighty Browns - same a tighty whities but they'll hide skidmarks.

Personally I stick with hanes Boxer Briefs or boxers.
http://MyGunDB.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -- Got guns? We can help you track and manage your collection using MyGunDB! Runs on Windows, OSX and Linux!

In time of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act -- George Orwell
airexurb wrote: ok, you can be on my team then.....trees don't deserve to live.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 pm

I have the 6" UA boxerjocks...I like them very much in that they breath comfy and they actually form fit to my legs. Unlike the Hanes cotton ones which end up loosing their elasticity in about an hour and revert to boxers.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:17 pm

Nice post Jaws. +1 for UA but I rock the 9", they just work better for me.
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 pm

What a great thread..........
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=33724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I made my first post in that thread I think.

Still its the old unfurnished basement for me :mrgreen:
Last edited by Oneswunk on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

kyleg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Diary of the Dead, Night of the Creeps.

Post by kyleg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Damn, I can't log into aafes or nex anymore. /wrists
If you didn't like the underarmor I would suggest these:

http://www.usmcblues.com/items/bx1010.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 7&ct=image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The green ones are breathable, wick the sweat away and have a liner you can cut out if you want. I would wear them if I didn't feel like wearing my underarmor that day. I personally never wore the UDT shorts, but a few guys I knew like them as undies.

Hope this helps.

Dagger6
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil:extinction, land of the dead, shaun of the dead, and related: omega man, road warrior, red dawn

Post by Dagger6 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Going Commando! 8)
"BONA NA CROIN".

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Never thought to use UDT shorts as skivies. I wore them for PT and any swimming or snorkeling I did when in but my last pair blew out in 1994 (when I gained my civy weight :lol: ). Good shorts for being active and keeping your upper thighs from being pasty white.
President ZSC011

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 pm

Wow I don't know what happened to my last pair of them. I would love a few pairs for kickin around the house.

BOT: I do have a pair or two of UA boxers for when I do need that extra cloth between my boys and the world.
Not bad for $20 boxers.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 pm

Good post jaws. ZS needs a comprehensive clothing thread pulled together from the collective wisdom of ZS members and then made into a sticky. Kind of a joint effort. Clothing tends to be overlooked. It is the first line against exposure risks.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri May 21, 2010 1:00 am

I knew I could find this thread and cast a low-level necro 8)

I've been buying these lately: http://www.rei.com/product/684396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ExOfficio men's briefs

What they claim is true - you hand wash your dirty pair and they will dry real fast. In a hotel bathroom I hung mine up and they were dry in about 3 hours. I'm sure it will be faster in sun and wind. Have not tried it in a cold tent yet. They wash good too, sink with warm water and a drop of Dr. Bonner's soap and soaked for about 15 minutes before I tussled them and wrung them out.

2 days in a row of wear before I felt gucky down there. Stink was not bad though. Kept me dry sans powder too. This was while camping and doing some hiking.

Works great in wool dress slacks, nylon denim 5.11s, polyester Dickies and cotton jeans. So far, in 3 months, no elastic stretch out or loose threads. If you like your skivvies snug get a size smaller like I did. If you like some room get your normal size.

The only problem is finding the fly front when you gotta pee real bad. It's a little low and I am still used to my Hanes. Got to train :lol:
President ZSC011

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Fri May 21, 2010 1:05 am

dagger6 wrote:Going Commando! 8)
Me too. I once overheard my dad say "What do you mean he doesn't wear underwear? He can catch diseases that way!"

I've been going commando ever since.

bunkerrat

Post by bunkerrat » Fri May 21, 2010 1:08 am

I wore those underarmor drawers when I was abroad. I had to stop wearing them because they would stick to my ass and itch so I went back to freeballing and no itchy or sticky.

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Sat May 22, 2010 3:08 am

I am still wearing the ExOfficio boxer-briefs and can't see myself wearing anything else anytime soon. If you end up going days at a time in the same pair, they're still comfortable. The Under Armor pair is good for doing a lot of cardio as they fit pretty snug, but aren't as comfortable for lounging in. I believe that as long as I can afford to, I will never go back to cheap underwear again.

Interestingly enough, my underwear costs more than my wife's, and that's something I never thought would happen back in the day.

The artist formerly known as Agent_Jaws. RIP old profile...

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

E

Post by E » Sun May 23, 2010 12:42 am

bunkerrat wrote:I wore those underarmor drawers when I was abroad. I had to stop wearing them because they would stick to my ass and itch so I went back to freeballing and no itchy or sticky.
weird i never have that issue with mine.

I love them when its hot. I like that they stick to my legs, because i can feel them just drawing the sweat away and keeping things happy. sometimes they pull the hair on my legs weird, so i have to do a pit stop to readjust them. Other than that, they're great

OP, i agree, they are not too comfy when just lounging around. But when its hot (or even cold for that matter), they're absolutely the shit

I have had bad experiences with using cotton boxers / boxer briefs when doing anything physical. just asking for monkey butt, and im not about that at all.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Ghost_Jaws wrote:I am still wearing the ExOfficio boxer-briefs and can't see myself wearing anything else anytime soon. If you end up going days at a time in the same pair, they're still comfortable. The Under Armor pair is good for doing a lot of cardio as they fit pretty snug, but aren't as comfortable for lounging in. I believe that as long as I can afford to, I will never go back to cheap underwear again.

Interestingly enough, my underwear costs more than my wife's, and that's something I never thought would happen back in the day.

ExOfficio boxer-briefs are all I wear. I love the things, especially in the summer. I don't know what it's called, but when you sweat and then walk a lot and everything gets chapped and irritated, I used to get that almost everyday in the summertime. Never once had it with the ExO's. I just ran up on these a few days ago, think I'll check em out. Look identical, might save a few bucks per pair.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/dulu ... viewHeader

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:45 pm

I have nothing useful to add to this thread, but I would just like to say that I was hoping that it would consist of a shark with undies Photoshopped onto it. :oops:
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am

During my bushcraft weekend vacation, I wore Ex-Officio undies for 3.5 days straight. I found that I didn't even need powder on the "stuff". Stayed dry in sweat and rain. Kept my stink down and no itchiness. All I did was clean my self daily down there with handiwipes and the undies did the rest.
President ZSC011

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

shrapnel wrote:I have nothing useful to add to this thread, but I would just like to say that I was hoping that it would consist of a shark with undies Photoshopped onto it. :oops:

So...you won't be discussing your underwear on the internet? /oaf

Montessor

Post by Montessor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:33 pm

I cant believe that noone has said anything about "Ranger Panties"
http://www.soffe.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... _category=

Best Damn undewear ever!

Raff
Signature block quotes are cool
"please dont laugh at the spelling or grammer, im public school"

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:25 pm

TDW586 wrote:
shrapnel wrote:I have nothing useful to add to this thread, but I would just like to say that I was hoping that it would consist of a shark with undies Photoshopped onto it. :oops:

So...you won't be discussing your underwear on the internet? /oaf
Low-cut granny panties* all the way, buddy. They are teh sexy.

*Although if they're low cut, are they still granny panties? Discuss**.

**Actually, don't.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

shrapnel wrote:Low-cut granny panties* all the way, buddy. They are teh sexy.

*Although if they're low cut, are they still granny panties? Discuss**.

**Actually, don't.
:lol: Well played, madam.

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 am

I don't have a shark with underwear on it, but I did try and mess with a pic of a shark one time. This one in fact:

My intent was to turn it into a zombie shark. This is what I ended up with instead:

The artist formerly known as Agent_Jaws. RIP old profile...

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

Return to “Other Gear”