lockpicks

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

endless
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Land of the dead, Evil Dead

lockpicks

Post by endless » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:00 pm

hey everybody i was wondering what is a good beginner lock picking set i think it would be cool to know just as a hobby
i was wondering if anyone knew a cheap/good set.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Re: lockpicks

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:08 am

Yeah me too. I have some locks that I want to break into. They are some nice locks and I don't want to have to just cut them.
ImageImage

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:15 am

it is fun to do,
but being caught with "tools of the trade" for theft is really bad.
my advice is to just take out the locks and buy new ones.
or at least quit talking about it on the internet.
there are sets for sale to rekey door locks at some hardware stores,
they work only if you have the original keys, but it is a good start to see how locks work.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:31 am

In general, one needs to be a bonafide locksmith, locksmithing student, or have another verified reason for possession of lock picks, otherwise possession of such is a ticket to a felony charge for possession of burglarly tools. Thus if you want to play with locks, enroll in a course.

If you have locks that you want changed, opened, etc, call a locksmith.

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:33 am

Go learn to build a ship in a bottle or something.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:36 am

Maybe we're asking because we are looking at possibly becoming an apprentice for this and need some advice?

I can't speak for the OP but the father of a good friend of mine is a locksmith and always asks if I want to apprentice. He loves it and buys a variety of locks just to unlock them with his tools. Says it's a lot of fun and wants someone to compete against in terms of racing to unlock a series of different locks, in order. The have local competitions in some areas just apparently not by him.
ImageImage

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:57 am

TheFreakinBear wrote:Maybe we're asking because we are looking at possibly becoming an apprentice for this and need some advice?

I can't speak for the OP but the father of a good friend of mine is a locksmith and always asks if I want to apprentice. He loves it and buys a variety of locks just to unlock them with his tools. Says it's a lot of fun and wants someone to compete against in terms of racing to unlock a series of different locks, in order. The have local competitions in some areas just apparently not by him.
How convenient for you. I'd say pursue that avenue and be careful discussing it here? Just a thought.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:52 am

HPC or Pro-Lok make the best picks out there. Trust me you dont need a set with anything over 15 tools in it. Maybe 2 or 3 good tension wrenches and a few different size rakes. Also a good set will have a few broken key extractors in it as well. For stuff like padlocks half rakes and ball picks seem to work good because the cylinder size is a lot shorter. Stay away from all the 'gimmick' shit like the pick gun or electric picks.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:36 am

Kabong30 wrote:
TheFreakinBear wrote:Maybe we're asking because we are looking at possibly becoming an apprentice for this and need some advice?

How convenient for you. I'd say pursue that avenue and be careful discussing it here? Just a thought.
And why don't you get a fucking life and not jump to conclusions. Are you an idiot? Do you really think that I, having been here so long am dumb enough to talk about something if it was illegal? If this topic is illegal than I apologize for my naivete but as far as I know there is nothing illegal about asking about a decent lock picking kit for someone who wants to apprentice.

Again, I can't speak for the other guy but, unlike you, I can assume he's got good intentions as well. Don't make me ban you.
ImageImage

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:30 am

spacecase0 wrote: but being caught with "tools of the trade" for theft is really bad.
PAGING OLAF YAHOO TO THIS THREAD.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:36 am

crypto wrote:
spacecase0 wrote: but being caught with "tools of the trade" for theft is really bad.
PAGING OLAF YAHOO TO THIS THREAD.

(Edit) He went to a California in May and never came back.................................
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:04 am

That's(Olaf) case and point for having these on you without the proper credentials. I know just possessing them and being caught constitutes having burglary tools. As far as I know that is a felony which is bad juju. Keep that in mind before acquiring a set.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

endless

Post by endless » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:23 pm

the act of picking locks as a hobby is not illegal why does everyone flip out.
i wanted to know where i could get a cheap/ good beginners set.
honestly i think it would be fun and more practical hobby than building a ship in a bottle.
Im not talking about breaking and entering just as a hobby please dont mess up my thread
making it something that its not.

endless

Post by endless » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:27 pm

And also burglary tools can be considered anything from a screwdriver, hammer, down to a brick. I take a criminal justice class and my prof. told me pretty much if a police officer wanted to charge you with that he could. how many of us carry a pocket knife /swiss army knife or have tools in our cars.

props to TheFreakinBear thanks for having my back on this one

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Yeah, if you want to just have a set to keep at home and try your skill out on locksets, its a nice hobby.

cheaperthandirt and all the mall ninja catalogs have lockpick sets in them. Theyre just spring steel, they arent hard to make.

http://www.lockpickshop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a bunch of name brands too, but you'll pay more for them.

In fact, here's a good link for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=professional+lock+picks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:35 pm

endless wrote:And also burglary tools can be considered anything from a screwdriver, hammer, down to a brick. I take a criminal justice class and my prof. told me pretty much if a police officer wanted to charge you with that he could. how many of us carry a pocket knife /swiss army knife or have tools in our cars.

The officer COULD charge you with those, sure. All of those things could also be deadly weapons. However, if you've got a fucking pick set in your pocket, its like having a pistol in your waistband. Its not a matter of COULD be charged, its a matter of WILL be charged.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

endless

Post by endless » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:37 pm

very true

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:46 pm

endless wrote:props to TheFreakinBear thanks for having my back on this one
Snoogins.

I've just always been interested in it. I have a bunch of really nice locks that I lost the keys for which would be nice to learn how to do the whole lock picking thing on. Not that I couldn't get another key made if I really tried but it would be just a fun hobby and hey, I could make a few bucks after I'm done with the apprenticeship.
ImageImage

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Props to TFB for breaking our "No flaming" rule. Check your PMs.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 pm

jamoni wrote:Props to TFB for breaking our "No flaming" rule. Check your PMs.
Check your PMs.
ImageImage

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Kabong30, you need to check your PMs as well.
ImageImage

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Jackassery aside, I cannot think of a SHTF-type situation where it would not be faster and easier than picking to smash something open or find another means of entry. If you need to silently gain entry to a room that's locked, you probably shouldn't be in that room in the first place.

So far I've 'picked' locks with claw hammers, files, and an electric drill, and never had an issue. An army buddy came to me once and asked me to open the lock on his duffel bag because he lost the key. I said "No problem, but you won't be gettin' the lock back" and he let me go to town on it with a hammer and pliers. The two times I've locked myself out of my car, the day was saved not by a smith or a slim jim, but once by a crowbar and once by a BFH.
Last edited by Brendan Sullivan on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheFreakinBear

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Brendan Sullivan wrote:Jackassery aside, I cannot think of a SHTF-type situation where it would not be faster and easier than picking to smash something open or find another means of entry. If you need to silently gain entry to a room that's locked, you probably shouldn't be in that room in the first place.
No you're right but that's called breaking and entering which is illegal - something we try to stray from. The thing about lock picking is that it's just neat. The complexity of everything mixed with the amount of dexterity you need is just cool. Plus you learn a lot about how locks work and all of that.
ImageImage

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:07 pm

TheFreakinBear wrote:
Brendan Sullivan wrote:Jackassery aside, I cannot think of a SHTF-type situation where it would not be faster and easier than picking to smash something open or find another means of entry. If you need to silently gain entry to a room that's locked, you probably shouldn't be in that room in the first place.
No you're right but that's called breaking and entering which is illegal - something we try to stray from. The thing about lock picking is that it's just neat. The complexity of everything mixed with the amount of dexterity you need is just cool. Plus you learn a lot about how locks work and all of that.
I think you're still on the defensive from all the flak you caught earlier in the thread. NOWHERE in my post does it say I want you to gain entry to someplace you're not allowed to be. I only said it's locked. In this hypothetical situation, if it's not your property, you're just as 'breaking and entering' whether by lockpick or by brick.

Edit: Since OP asked about picks just as a hobby, I advise him or her to find a cheap set to start with, since opening is about skill way more than it is about the tools. Someone who knows what they are doing can open a lock with a screwdriver and a bent paperclip. Someone who knows what tool they want can also make one with hand tools out of street sweeper bristles or bicycle spokes.

Return to “Other Gear”