Clipdraw---good option?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jeepgunman

Clipdraw---good option?

Post by jeepgunman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:09 pm

I have a glock 27 and I bought a crimson trace lg-436(I think thats right) for it. the problem is there are not many holsters out there that will work with this combination. Sooo Ive been considering the clipdraw as an option. If you have one of these I would like to hear your opinon on them. Thanks
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

knedgecko

Re: Clipdraw---good option?

Post by knedgecko » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:42 am

I wouldn't personally feel comfortable wearing a glock with clipdraw... unless you have an NY2 trigger on it or something. having that light of a (kinda-sorta) DAO trigger just hangin out would give me the willies.

BAD BOY

Post by BAD BOY » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 am

I've been using one for a little over two years. It's definitely not for everyone, especially if you're new to carry or just inexperienced at handling a firearm on a daily basis. All the worries about the trigger being exposed are silly. The pistol is in the same condition inside your pants as it is inside a holster. It's the most comfortable and concealable way to carry in my opinion especially if you live someplace hot like AZ and wear shorts often. Another added benefit is how little room it takes up inside your pants. If you try to use a SOB holster that goes inside your pants you'll have to buy all new pants, the clip draw fits in all my pants (same size before using).

If you've carried for a long time and handle a firearm often I highly recommend it. If you don't and you think there's the slightest possibility you might put your finger on the trigger when placing inside your waist, don't even consider it. Just keep in mind, you can shoot yourself the same way putting a pistol in a holster so it's all the same, just a little closer to your body.

Oh, I carry a G26 in the SOB position if that helps? I don't recommend trying it in the front, not comfortable at all.

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:40 am

You could try one of these. I like mine.

Smartcarry
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Hooch33
BANNED

Post by Hooch33 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:37 am

I use one on a 26 that I carry everyday, it won't magically make your pistol go bang.
Last edited by Hooch33 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am

I have a friend that uses one of these on his G26. He likes it, but I do not see any advantages to it versus a quality holster other than price. A quality holster will keep things out of the trigger guard too, and the clipdraw will not.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for your input. Theyre cheap so Im going to try one.
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:57 pm

I carried with one for years until I moved to Ohio (state law requires a holster)

Use a Saf-T-Block for the trigger and you're good to go.
http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/saftblok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:23 pm

I use one of these when I have the pistol in a bag or other off body carries. It would work w/ the clip too.

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_ ... ts_id=1617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

chirps0331

Post by chirps0331 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Does it move around much when you are walking or getting in and out of cars?

chirps0331

Post by chirps0331 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:20 pm

jeepgunman wrote:Thanks for your input. Theyre cheap so Im going to try one.
Hey, let me know how works out for ya. I've wondered about these things too...

Nexus666
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Post by Nexus666 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:09 pm

I want to revive this thread:

I've had a Clipdraw and Saf-T-Blok for a few months now. So far everything is working fine. Sometimes the Saf-T-Blok moves a little but it hasn't come out accidentally. I've never accidentally hit the trigger.

One nice thing is it is very adjustable. Sometimes in my truck I move it forward and tilt the barrel back so I can get an easier draw.

It also has much less weight than a Mexican carry. Mexican carry meant I had to piss every 1.5 hours. Now I can wear a normal belt and only cinch my belt a little. Although I can use a normal belt, I prefer the 5.11 Trainer, for obvious reasons.
Also, I can wear tight pants and a t-shirt and be mindfully not printing.

I don't carry cocked and locked unless I feel potential for an imminent threat. After another year or so of daily carry and never pulling the trigger, I hope to graduate to cocking and locking.

Edit to add: My Glock 30SF not only has ClipDraw and Saf-T-Blok, but I also put in an earplug in the barrel to keep out lint and dust.
"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I carried a J-frame with a clipdraw for several years. Never worried about anything except sweat in the summer. Now I tend more toward IWB and pocket holsters but I still think it's a good option.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

c0le

Post by c0le » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:19 am

I carried my G19 with one for about 2 years, it broke somehow when I was bending down to do something. Anyway as of now I do not have a proper holster and thus don't carry one in the pipe, and personally wouldn't advise anyone use a clipdraw with one in the pipe unless you have some form of additional safety, just because you carry an unholstered Glock now and you haven't managed to shoot yourself doesn't justify an unsafe practice, you can argue it all day long but a pocket or waist carry with a
Glock with one in the pipe and no proper holster is an accident waiting to happen. and its a liability to those around you who may not be aware of it and may somehow come into contact with the wrong part of your body.

In relation to the clipdraw, you can accomplish the same thing and save $20 by just wearing in in your waistband with a properly tensioned belt, it wont slide down...

Nexus666
Favorite Zombie Movies: Land of the Dead

Post by Nexus666 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Glock triggers are specifically made to avoid getting depressed from the side. Unless I suddenly grow a wart on my strong-side hip, I'm not particularly worried about it.

Plus I use the Saf-T-Blok, or as I prefer to call it, the Cock Block.

I felt much more unsafe using Mexican carry than I ever have with the ClipDraw.
"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Nexus666 wrote:I felt much more unsafe using Mexican carry than I ever have with the ClipDraw.
Wow, no kidding!

eatatjoz

Post by eatatjoz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:12 pm

I've had one on my 1911 for about two years now. She stays cocked and locked and usually resides in a IWB, but sometimes I just clip it to my belt and haven't had much of a problem with it.
I have noticed that on occasion it will flip the safety off if I'm wearing the wrong clothes. (Usually sweats inside of my jeans).
It also provides a little extra grip inside my Galco holster.

If I had found the clip draw sooner, I'd still have my commander. I really like the little contraption.

Return to “Other Gear”