Kahtoola micro spike review.http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html
Information from their web site.
This grippy, durable, slip-on traction system features strategically placed stainless steel spikes connected to a dynamic flex-chain with a tough elastomer shoe harness. The unique “microspike” chain adjusts itself to grip nearly any surface — from ice and packed snow to wet rocks, concrete, and scree. Extremely durable, MICROspikes require no special buckles or straps. This pocket-sized traction device is the answer for people of all ages who want to stay active in the winter with convenient, effective foot traction.
MICROspikes are ideal for walking, hiking and running on snow-packed trails.
• 3/8-inch-long spikes
• Dynamic stainless steel flex-chain with a tough elastomer shoe harness
• Only 9.8–14.4 oz (280–411 g) each, depending on size!
• Securely attaches to running shoes, lightweight hikers, everyday shoes, and snow boots
• Available in four sizes from extra small to large that fit a range of unisex sizes from youth 1 to adult 14
I got these a few weeks ago and this weekend was prefect for some winter hiking. When I first got them almost laughed. Just look at these things.
I was thinking there is no way these things are going to fit my big size 12 feet and even if they somehow got over my insulated winter boots they would surely break off in seconds. However they are very packable and only 14 oz for the pair. Took them out to a nice frozen area full of hills, rocks and steams. Guessing if these were going to fall apart this was the place to do it.
Snow and sleet on Saturday with sun and cold on Sunday. My kinda weekend. At first I couldn’t get them on however after about a 10 minutes learning curve I could take them on and off on the fly with the help of a hiking pole or tree to steady myself. Tried them on some hiking shoes and big insulated boots. Fit both nearly as easy. However these come in a few sizes so be certain to get the right ones.
The traction could be described as spooky but a good kinda spooky. Walked over snow covered ice and glazed rocks with ease. I never slipped once despite doing all kinds of silly stuff. Was a bit like having super powers. The great traction comes from the heavy stainless chains and spikes.
I used them to blow out the snow off the ice covered driveway too. Despite walking over some hard terrain I couldn’t see any sign of wear. They stayed put like a part of the boot. Takes maybe 20 seconds to put on and all of 5 to remove. I like them!
2. Easy to take on and off on the fly.
3. Well made.
4. Super traction over ice and snow.
1. Not the cheapest traction system.
2. Learning curve for proper adjustments and fit.
3. Easy to forget they are on. Sounds like a pro however could mess anything stepped on like tent being setup
4. Feels funny when walking on non covered rocks or blacktop.