Leatherman S2 light review.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 pm

I had a 25 dollar off card from an EMS sale so decided I needed to use it before the darn thing expired. I wanted a Big Angus pad but they were out. So I got this light. It is rather expensive at 55 bucks but rang up as 50 and with the coupon card came to 25. This light is made by Fenix for Leatherman and is a copy of the LOD Q4 but with a tail clicky rather than bezel twisty, two mode setting and a stainless bezel. I want to get a stainless Fenix LD01 for EDC however think this would work well with my jakstrap headband as a backup headlamp due to the trail clicky. Here are the stats:

http://www.leatherman.com/lights/serac-s2.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Features:

• 35 (high) | 5 (low) Lumens
• 45 min (high) | 10.5 hrs (low) Battery Life (Tested with AAA Alkaline Battery)
• 3w LED
• 6061-T6 Hard-anodized Aluminum Body
• Stainless Steel Bezel
• Anti-reflective Coated Glass Lens
• Textured, Machined Aluminum Reflector
• Tail Switch
• White Light
• Low/High Adjustable Brightness
• AAA Battery (Included)
• -32F/+140F Temperature Resistant
• Water Resistant: IPX8 Static Immersion Test
• Pocket Clip, Lanyard Ring
• Humidity Resistant
• Corrosion Resistant
• Shock Resistant
• Power Management Circuitry for Steady Light Output
• 10-year Warranty (Does Not Include Battery)

The output however is listed much lower than both my personal observations and the below testing.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=212996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The flashlight is regulated meaning it tries to keep a relatively constant output however this is a challenge with only one AAA battery. The high seemed more like 60 lumens and the low 7ish. I base this on the charts in the above link and personal observations comparing the S2 with flashlights of known ratings. When using standard alkaline batteries it eats them up on high much the same way my standard G2 devourers CR123s. Woof! Woof! But with LSD NiMH batteries I got good regulation and reasonable runtimes at higher lumens. Have not tested lithium but will this winter. Runtime on LSD NIMH was about 1 hour regulated to 50% and around 7-6ish to 50% on low just as the charts seem to indicate. Still totally shocked how so much light can be produced from a single AAA battery.

The UI is simple. Just click the tail and it starts on low. Click again within a few seconds and bumps to high or just give a tap to easily switch to high without the need for a full click. It will tap between modes easily. Turn it off and it will reseat to low. I did find one small glitch in the UI. There is a time frame when it will flash on high and drop to the intended low. This seems to be in the middle of the it’s decision time to determine if you mean to turn the light off and not switch to another mode. Not a big issue as the high flash is a micro second before you get the intended low setting and the chances of falling within this time are rather small. Does nothing to effect the lights operation. Also there is a very low hum. This seems common with lights of this type and can only be heard if near ones ear. If not for the fact it was strapped to my head I would never notice it. Also the light uses PWM for the low. I couldn’t see the pulse but some who are sensitive to things like monitors pulsing might notice it during certain applications. The light is 100% waterproof and has been dropped a few times by myself. One small ding as a result so I don’t think dropping this light will kill it. The beam is nice and floody with good throw. In the dark dank woods this light is crazy bright . Also the clicky is hard enough to avoid accidental discharge in a pack or pocket. The light can be lockout out by twisting the bezel ¼ inches.

Pros.

1. Well made
2. Super bright high with a workable low. Just crazy bright
3. Good runtime with NiMH batteries.
4. Looks cool.
5. Tail clicky is nice.
6. 10 year warrantee from Leatherman.

Cons.

1. Expensive.
2. Has a low hum
3. Very small UI glitch but hardly noticeable
4. AAA batteries have their limitations.
5. Didn’t include an extra O ring. For the money why not?
6. USA company but light made in China. This is an issue for some.

Conclusions.

I like this light and will carry it for my EDC until I spend more money I don’t have and get a stainless LD01. Then it gets packed inside the 72-hour BOB that uses all AAA as it seems nearly as bright as my standard G2 when the flood is taken into account. Works great for the jakstrap too. Overall I am happy but without the coupon this would have been expensive. Still it is just crazy bright.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Squirrley

Re: Leatherman S2 light review.

Post by Squirrley » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:51 pm

Very nice review! Sounds like it'd make a good, if a bit pricey, stocking stuffer for xmas.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Leatherman S2 light review.

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 pm

For that much coin it would be the only thing in most stockings. :lol: Still hard for me to believe that a single AAA battery powered LED light can put off nearly as much light as a standard Surefire G2 and for about as long. My G2 runs for about 45 minutes with 2 CR123s and this little bugger runs for 1 hour regulated on high with one NiMH battery or 1 hour 22 minutes using Energizer lithium. Sure the G2 at first has the edge but not all that much when the larger flood of the S2 (LOD or LD01 based) light is taken into account. If someone told me this 5 years ago I would have said it would never happen.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Return to “Other Gear”