Telescoping Fishing Rod.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Telescoping Fishing Rod.

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Telescoping Fishing Rod.

http://www.orcsportinggoods.com/55-3408 ... g_Rod.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Often when intentionally looking to go fishing on a backpack outing I pack a telescoping fishing rod. Mine is a Shakespeare and goes for under 20 bucks. True a bug out is not a fishing trip but if anyone is looking for a rod system that can fit inside their BOB this is something that should be considered. The rod collapse down small enough to fit in most medium sized packs. I used a medium sized spinning reel. One of these days I will get an extra UL spinning reel to cut down pack size even more.

The rode telescopes out to about 6 feet. They are fairly robust but don’t have a same action as a nice graphite rod. I would rate these as UL action rods.

So how does it work? I did a little fall trout fishing in the rain with positive results using this system. No actual trout were harmed for this report. :lol:

If someone is looking for a more substantial fishing system than the drop line/hand casting gear that is often packed maybe a telescoping rod might work.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Redknight
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead,dawn of the dead (original),dawn of the dead (new), land of the dead, automaton transfusion, 28 days later, day of the dead, shaun of the dead, quarantine

Re: Telescoping Fishing Rod.

Post by Redknight » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:57 am

thats pretty cool, I was shopping at CVS yesterday and by coincidence I bought a $10 collapsable fishing pole made by coleman which folds down into a pen and a egg and expands to a 3ft pole, havent tried it out yet....just wanted to share the info

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks Woods Walker.

Great Find!

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

wester

Post by wester » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:24 am

I picked up a similar one from a garage sale this summer, I haven't been able to try it out yet though.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:32 am

I had a cheap version of that collapsible rod and reel set when I was a teenager. Don't remember much about it except that it was fun for catching sunfish out of the pond :) It's probably still kicking around my dad's place, somewhere.

I've thought about purchasing/putting together a fishing kit for the non-fisherman. It's probably been 20 years since I've casted a line but there are several area swamps, ponds, and reservoirs which could be useful for fishing if the grocery stores crap the bed.

The commercial ones I've seen are: Popeil Pocket Fisherman
Coleman Fishing Pen as mentioned by Redknight
This one looks the same or similar to the OP Shakespeare setup

There are lots of other complete setups one can buy for cheap if portability is less of an issue but I've been primarily looking at these compact setups.

Without the opportunity to try them all, my initial guess is that the Shakespeare (like WW's) is the most capable fishing rod, the Coleman "pen" perhaps the most compact, and the Pocket Fisherman... I got no idea. Kind of tempting to get one for that reason :)
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:45 pm

While a packable rod is great for backpacking and fishing in remote locations is fun to do, were you to need to survive on fishing you would be better off with a gill net.

Gill nets are smaller than fishing rods and more effective to boot.

Please do not use a gill net unless you are in a true survival situation.

Brigade Quartermasters, Best Glide Aviation Survival, and others have survival gill nets for under $20.
KD8EIB

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:00 pm

I like to fish with Dynamite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's compact, and easy to carry.

Just toss it in the water, and BOOM. Never fails.

Some of the dead fish will float to the top of the water,

just scoop them up and have Yourself a panfry. :D

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:03 pm

Redbad wrote:While a packable rod is great for backpacking and fishing in remote locations is fun to do, were you to need to survive on fishing you would be better off with a gill net.

Gill nets are smaller than fishing rods and more effective to boot.

Please do not use a gill net unless you are in a true survival situation.

Brigade Quartermasters, Best Glide Aviation Survival, and others have survival gill nets for under $20.
A gill net has the advantage of working for you much like a snare. However I can run a trout line and get good results too. I have done this in the past. But my main concern with gill nets like other gear is without practice and the knowledge that only experience can impart it would not be as effective in the real world despite the fact that like a snare or fish trap it is working for the user 24/7.

To become effective with a gill net would mean breaking the law in many areas. Also as stated a gill net is killer that does not care for limits or species. It knows nothing of personal responsibility. I have killed my share of game and more fish than can easily be counted. In the woods I am subject to much of the same predation. I pulled 3 ticks off my body after the above posted backpacking fishing trip. Anyone of which may have infected me with Lyme disease. But unlike the ticks I have the knowledge that there are limits. Heck I even use barbless hooks when fishing catch and release. So given the laws I think a person can gain more experience with a packable pole or hand casting system and thus be more effective.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

skeeter

Post by skeeter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:18 pm

i have chosen to save room in my pack and just bring along fishing line, hooks, and maybe a bobber or two. all i have to do is cut the right sized limb off of a tree and presto, instant fishing pole. :D

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:30 pm

I like to fish with Dynamite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's compact, and easy to carry.

Just toss it in the water, and BOOM. Never fails.

Some of the dead fish will float to the top of the water,

just scoop them up and have Yourself a panfry.
Around these parts, that's known as a "DuPont lure." Similar effects can be realized using cannon fuse, pistol propellant, and an empty CO2 or N2O canister. Not that I would condone such behavior . . . .

I have a Sage graphite spinning rod that packs into a very rugged and reasonably compact tube. Works very well. I probably won't take any fly rods to the end of the world party, though. :x
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't have a problem with your idea, my only unsolicited advice is, try fishing that way when you get a chance.

Don't know about you but I find it tough enough to get fish out of the water with a functional casting rod and reel :) To be honest without the ability to reel I wouldn't really know how to fish even semi-effectively.
skeeter wrote:i have chosen to save room in my pack and just bring along fishing line, hooks, and maybe a bobber or two. all i have to do is cut the right sized limb off of a tree and presto, instant fishing pole. :D
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

skeeter

Post by skeeter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:02 am

Festus Hagen wrote:I don't have a problem with your idea, my only unsolicited advice is, try fishing that way when you get a chance.

Don't know about you but I find it tough enough to get fish out of the water with a functional casting rod and reel :) To be honest without the ability to reel I wouldn't really know how to fish even semi-effectively.
skeeter wrote:i have chosen to save room in my pack and just bring along fishing line, hooks, and maybe a bobber or two. all i have to do is cut the right sized limb off of a tree and presto, instant fishing pole. :D
a cane pole is very easy to use, while catching good strings of bream, perch, catfish and other fish.
plenty of bass are caught on cane poles too. i use a style of cane pole fishing called “jigger fishing” which has been the best method for me to catch bass.

i prefer a 16' cane pole myself for lake and pond fishing. i will use a shorter one if fishing in a small creek or stream.
i cut my line the same length as the pole, but i have seen people cut it longer and wrap up the extra at the bottom of the pole.

Biff

Post by Biff » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:58 am

Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bethanyb
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bethanyb » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:37 am

I have and use a telescopic fishing pole that I picked up from hillbilly pro :) (it is the only "sporting goods" store in my hometown).

I like it simply because it is easier for me to store since I don't have my own place right now. I've never had problems with it and could easily fit it in my small BOB. I think I paid right around 20 for it.
I survived Zombie Con 2008! Filtered Manbath - A little bit of shame in every sip.
I survived Zombie Con 2009! There's is more than one Highway M off of Missouri Hwy 8.
I survived Zombie Con 2010! I jumped, skipped and flipped.
I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:51 am

Cane poles are great, back in high school i use to EDC 60ft of braided line, a pack of hooks and some sinkers. When your rigging up your cane pole you generally want about twice your pole length in braided line. Starting at the base of the pole, run your line up its length , being sure to throw a half-hitch at about every node, that way if you hook into an exceptionally large fish and it snaps the tip off you still have a functional rod. To cast you simply hold you bait in your off hand, and with the rod in your primary hand you flip the bait out like an pendulum. For small fish you can often just life them from the water using the combination of your height and the length of the pole. For larger fish you can do every thing from hand lining them in, to twisting line up the tip of your rod, to dragging them on to the bank. Another good thing about can poles is you can press them a few feet in the sand then wonder off for a short while.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Return to “Other Gear”