Making water proof matches

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slug

Making water proof matches

Post by Slug » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Click ME!

A way to make a lot of waterproff matches. I think it would be cool to do this with a colored wax. Maybe like a black wax or something....... anyone ever done this? thought it was interesting.

*edit for typo in the subject.
P I E Army. Try finding the ratio of the circumference of a circle C A K E to its diameter without us.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Making water proof matches

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I do it quite often. I'm still on a batch I made 2 years ago. I also have done the nail polish method in the past - using any current girlfriend's nail polish.

My observations:

-Nail polished matches are less protected but light much easier.
-"Strike Anywhere" actually means "strike on some stuff, usually a striker".
-Waxed matches cake up on a striker real fast. I usually glue a patch of striker to the inside of the lid of my match case (and store matches tip down!) as well as have one in my wallet and glue one to the outside lid ... and most have the built in striker on the bottom ... which I pull off the box the kitchen matches come from. I've started to not even glue the striker to the inside lid and just cut it to size and pop it in because I will be replacing it after a few matches anyways.
-Use your thumbnail to gently remove some of the wax from the tip before striking.
- You get a good amount of protection from a >$2 matchcase. I buy them all the time when I find them.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:16 pm

I shellac my strike anywheres. Cull the weak and the pathetic from the box, dip the good ones at least three times (that is counting the heads, and since you have to hold onto something, you dip tip first, dry, then butt first, dry, repeat). I've tried the wax method, but in really hot weather I once had them fuse into one monster match. Yeah... not as useful as it could have been. *laughs*
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:33 pm

On the contrary, I've found that I can light a strike-anywhere on almost anything including but not limited to, the outside of the propane/butane tank of my pocket rocket stove, rocks, my thumbnail, and my front teeth.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 pm

I read somewhere about taking a regular box of Kitchen matches and pouring paraffin into the whole damn thing, thus rendering it into a block of matches you break off as you need. never tried it, but have been meaning to do so. I assume you make sure they are all parallel in the box before you dump the paraffin in.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:14 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:-"Strike Anywhere" actually means "strike on some stuff, usually a striker".

This is usually true for what can be commonly found these days (Diamond brand) but if you can get your hands on some Ohio Blue tip strike-anywhere they actually can be struck damn near anywhere.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:31 pm

Just got married...........the wife found a bottle of nail polish; she didn't buy that I'd bought it to make survival matches and for applying before I write on artifacts.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Rush2112 wrote:my front teeth.
Must be clean shaven. *rubs my mustache out of concern*
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:56 am

DavePAL84 wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:-"Strike Anywhere" actually means "strike on some stuff, usually a striker".

This is usually true for what can be commonly found these days (Diamond brand) but if you can get your hands on some Ohio Blue tip strike-anywhere they actually can be struck damn near anywhere.
You are 100% right on that. Diamond Brand is ubiquiteous around here but the Ohio Blues are rare. Thanks for sending me on another mission. :x I almost forgot about the Ohio Blues until you reminded me and I remember last seeing some used out in Baker, OR about 7 years ago. Those fuckers will light on blue jeans.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I have found the same thing. To the point that I actually cut a striker strip off a small match box and put it in my waterproof match container so I'd have a way to light the matches. We only have Diamond brand around here and "strike anywhere" means "strike on the striker attached to the box, or if you're really lucky a similarly textured surface that you just happen to have around." ;)

I've read in several places about using paraffin wax to make standard matches waterproof, as well as nail polish. It seems ninja-elbow's tip about removing some of the wax off the head before striking is helpful and sometimes necessary. I've just been using a waterproof container because 100 degree heat doesn't seem compatible with wax here. ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

surt

Post by surt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:01 am

Blue Tip Matches were manufactured in my home town. They closed down in the 80s and left their factory to the city. We have a huge festival every year to celebrate our match-making past. Needless to say, most everyone around here has a couple boxes of Blue Tips lying around the house. Crazy little things, they'll light off anything you choose - you can drop a single match on a concrete floor and it will ignite. If you ever get ahold of a box make damn sure you don't drop it from any height.
You speak of Rastafari, but how can you justify Belief In a god that's left you behind?
You've simply filled the gap between the upper and Lower class.
And your faith merely keeps you in line.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:21 am

DavePAL84 wrote:

True - back when I was a teenage hoodlum who smoked two packs a day, I carried the Blue Tips and usually lit 'em with my thumbnail, on the zipper of my jacket, etc. I haven't seen Blue Tips in years - I assumed they weren't made anymore.

I've meant to try making some waterproof matches, but I've never gotten around to it - usually whenever I place an order with Sportsman's Guide I throw in a couple packs of their varnished matches, and I came across some Coleman waterproof matches on clearance and bought a dozen boxes or so, so I'm set for a while...
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Return to “Other Gear”