Lenny wrote:What are your top 5 favorite knots/rope work. If you had to say one is the MOST important knot to know, what would you say?
I dunno about my top 5 or the most important. My favorite (although not sexy and very easy to do) is the Double Becket bend. I find it super reliable and for some reason I really love it.
My own personal faves are (and the task associated):
1) Bowline (fixed loop)
2) Clove hitch with two half hitches (self tightening)
3) Grapevine/ Fisherman's bend (connecting two ropes together)
4) Highwayman's hitch (temporary tie off)
5) Trucker's hitch (my own variant) (mechanical advantage)
6) Alpine Butterfly or Bowline on a bight (mid-line loops)
It's hard to narrow down my choices, you're killing me Lenny! I love so many, and for so many different reasons.
As for only one, I'd vote for the Bowline family, you can do so much with just a little variation.