knotology (Very pic heavy)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

spchtr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hide and Creep,
Night of the Living Dead(original),
Return of the Living Dead(original),
Dawn of the Dead(the remake),
Day of the Dead(original)

Re: knotology (Very pic heavy)

Post by spchtr » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Do you have/can you get pictures of a jug hitch, and it's uses?

And do you use any kind of ascender hitches?
I wrote:Pessimists by nature have a better time of life, as having our expectations dashed against the rocks is seldom a bad thing. On the contrary it is usually a pleasant surprise.
Y.T. wrote:
Gingersam wrote:There are only four things you need in life.

Supper Glue, Gaffa Tape, Vaseline and a Hammer.
where I come from, that makes one helluva party. ;)

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Funny you should ask, I've actually been looking for a good video or diagram. There are many out there, but clarity is a rarity with that one. Another common name is the Jug Sling Knot.

I'll try to post one soon, unless somebody beats me to it. :)

This a very useful knot though!
Last edited by AmirMortal on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 pm

Is like for carrying a jug of water? I know how to do that....
ETA:This a Korean First Aid Kid (ETA: KIT, not Kid) I found floating in the ocean a few years back.
Last edited by Lenny on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

Lenny
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the them, even the super cheesy unrealistic ones.

Post by Lenny » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 pm

F-Me! That looks like a doosey alright. Now I'll have to try it....

Jug Sling Hitch or ABOK #1142
This decorative knot is useful for creating a carrying handle (or a hanging handle, etc.) for bottles, bags, and so on. To tie this knot, start as in picture 1. Grab the vertical strand of rope on the left (near the top), and bring it under the vertical strand on the right, then bend it back over towards the left again (picture 2). Notice the part of the rope which crosses over the two vertical strands in picture 1, and find that same section of rope in picture 2 (it is marked with a blue circle in picture 2). Bring that strand under the strand above it (marked with a red square in picture 2), then bring it over the two linked loops at the top of picture 2 (as in picture 3). With your thumb and finger, hold the two strands which are crossing each other where the red arrow is pointing in picture 3. Bring the pink and black sections of rope in picture 3 down to their new positions in picture 4. Place the neck of the bottle through the center of the knot, then tighten the knot (picture 5).
Oderint Dum Metuant

"A knot ....is either exactly right or it is hopelessly wrong. Make only one change...and either an entirely different knot is made or no knot at all may exist." Clifford W. Ashley

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 pm

Lenny wrote:Is like for carrying a jug of water? I know how to do that....
ETA:This a Korean First Aid Kid I found floating in the ocean a few years back.

Have you told their government about this yet?

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 am

ToddGray wrote:
Lenny wrote:Is like for carrying a jug of water? I know how to do that....
ETA:This a Korean First Aid Kid I found floating in the ocean a few years back.

Have you told their government about this yet?

Holy Crap!!!! No, not yet and I have it for 8 years now :shock: !
Oderint Dum Metuant

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Lenny wrote:F-Me! That looks like a doosey alright. Now I'll have to try it....
Yeah the description and illustrations in the Ashley book are some of the best, and easiest to follow. Page 208, #1142

ETA:Here's a link to somebody else's page, it is a pretty easy to follow instructional:
http://www.khww.net/readarticle.php?article_id=55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TigerDragon

Post by TigerDragon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Lenny wrote:F-Me! That looks like a doosey alright. Now I'll have to try it....

Jug Sling Hitch or ABOK #1142
This decorative knot is useful for creating a carrying handle (or a hanging handle, etc.) for bottles, bags, and so on. To tie this knot, start as in picture 1. Grab the vertical strand of rope on the left (near the top), and bring it under the vertical strand on the right, then bend it back over towards the left again (picture 2). Notice the part of the rope which crosses over the two vertical strands in picture 1, and find that same section of rope in picture 2 (it is marked with a blue circle in picture 2). Bring that strand under the strand above it (marked with a red square in picture 2), then bring it over the two linked loops at the top of picture 2 (as in picture 3). With your thumb and finger, hold the two strands which are crossing each other where the red arrow is pointing in picture 3. Bring the pink and black sections of rope in picture 3 down to their new positions in picture 4. Place the neck of the bottle through the center of the knot, then tighten the knot (picture 5).
This is the best video on tying this hitch I could find a while back... It's a nice hitch for carrying water jugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18jr4UY0CKs
BullOnParade wrote: I third the motion of fucking mushrooms.

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Great link, my search-fu is weak. Thanks!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Nice knot! Never knew that one. Gonna' have to give it a try.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 pm

I so wish I would have taken a photo of this BEFORE! A fellow ZSer gave this to me.

This is 1200 ft of Paracord which had come off the spool and was in one HUGEknot.

It took me about 4 hours to get to this point. Basically, what I am saying is it SUCKED!

Oderint Dum Metuant

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 pm

Good job Boats! Now send some of that my way. I'm going to work on fobs tomorrow (and maybe have pics of them by end of week).

Also, have not forgotten the long-splice and eye-splice tutorials. I just ran out of time and I need to go get some 3 strand natural small stuff to do it with. Originally thought I'd use some of Lenny's hauser but that'd be too much for a tutorial really.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:17 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:.....Originally thought I'd use some of Lenny's hauser but that'd be too much ....

Thats what Bethdeath said.... :wink:
Oderint Dum Metuant

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:53 pm

Lenny wrote:I so wish I would have taken a photo of this BEFORE! A fellow ZSer gave this to me.

This is 1200 ft of Paracord which had come off the spool and was in one HUGEknot.

It took me about 4 hours to get to this point. Basically, what I am saying is it SUCKED!

Dude that is an impressive display of patients. It looks like that would suck!

Along a similar vein, about a year ago I was given about 1200' of cat5. Free, but with a catch:

There are 2@100', 2@200', 2@300'. They were all pulled at once from the same end as one. It's been in my garage since last year, I don't really have a use for it. I was afraid to open it in the house, I'm not sure the structure of my home could contain that much "Blue Phone Cord". :lol: :lol:

ETA: I can't wait to see what you end up doing with all of that. There's potential for one hell of a sinnet!

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Lenny wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:.....Originally thought I'd use some of Lenny's hauser but that'd be too much ....

Thats what Bethdeath said.... :wink:
Oh did I now?

:::::puts Lenny on THE LIST:::::::

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:05 am

[quote="AmirMortalImage

[/quote]

Is that a Katana weilding, internet commandos wet dream or what?
Oderint Dum Metuant

E

Post by E » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Lenny wrote:I so wish I would have taken a photo of this BEFORE! A fellow ZSer gave this to me.

so jealous. need to scrape some money together to buy a spool myself
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:26 am

Now thats a needle!

Oderint Dum Metuant

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:55 am

What is that? A sail maker's needle?

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 am

Yup, thats a sail needle.
Oderint Dum Metuant

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:35 pm

AmirMortal wrote:I can tell already, that I will have to go back and edit these posts for clarification. Looks like I will end up adding a few more pictures as well.

The next on my list will be the Square knot. The Square knot is a very simple, yet effective knot to tie up packages, and other non essential tasks. The efficiency of this knot is roughly 45%. However it is also one of the least stable knots out there.

Please do not hang anything over head using this knot, or climb anything with this knot. This isn't the knot to use to tie sheets together like in the movies, it will capsize very easily, and should not be trusted where human life is concerned.

As you can see from these pictures, this knot capsizes very easily. As you can also see from these pics, once it does capsize your load can get away from you very... quickly.

<snip>

Uhhh... That is NOT a Square Knot, that is a Granny Knot...
They Square Knot has both ends coming out the same side of the knot on the top in your pictures.

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:56 pm

jamesraykenney wrote:
They Square Knot has both ends coming out the same side of the knot on the top in your pictures.
My friend with all due respect, you are mistaken. I'll give you some reference material

http://www.realknots.com/knots/reefk.htm#platteknoop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_knot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.igkt.net/beginners/sea-cadet-knots.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also reference The Ashley Book Of Knots: page 75, knot #460

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:19 am

AmirMortal wrote:
jamesraykenney wrote:
My friend with all due respect, you are mistaken. I'll give you some reference material

http://www.realknots.com/knots/reefk.htm#platteknoop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_knot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.igkt.net/beginners/sea-cadet-knots.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also reference The Ashley Book Of Knots: page 75, knot #460
OK, my eyes must have been too tired when I was looking at it... If you look at my discription, you will see that I described what you had tied... My eyes must have been playing tricks on me, as I could have sworn that the ropes came out opposite where they came in! :oops:

OK, I think this is going to convince me to get some new glasses...

P.S. The Ashley Book Of Knots is GREAT... I wish I could find my copy(I am afraid I may have lent it out to someone that did not return it :x )... They want a FORTUNE for it these days.

AmirMortal

Post by AmirMortal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:08 am

jamesraykenney wrote: OK, my eyes must have been too tired when I was looking at it... If you look at my discription, you will see that I described what you had tied... My eyes must have been playing tricks on me, as I could have sworn that the ropes came out opposite where they came in! :oops:

OK, I think this is going to convince me to get some new glasses...

P.S. The Ashley Book Of Knots is GREAT... I wish I could find my copy(I am afraid I may have lent it out to someone that did not return it :x )... They want a FORTUNE for it these days.
Well those pictures are kind of washed out. :)

At some point I need to go back and take new photos with better light, and contrasting colors. Maybe a little less sloppy too. The pics at the beginning of this thread represent some of my first excursions into trying to A) Using a digital camera, B)Post pics online, and C) Creating a tutorial, though I've sort of decided on more of the repository of cool and/or useful knots.

Please feel free to add your projects or links to your projects, or even just a knot that you feel is underrepresented.

ETA: Good effort for trying to clarify the difference between a Square and Granny knot though. :wink: There are plenty of people who tie a Granny knot when asked to tie a Square, and that's just bad form (weaker, less stable knot too!).

Return to “Other Gear”