Safelite Flexible Rifle Armor

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jor-el

Safelite Flexible Rifle Armor

Post by jor-el » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 am

https://safelifedefense.com/FRAS/?fbcli ... K_WPxMIViw

Have not done an in depth study of this; reminds me of Dragon Skin. Comparable to a plate carrier with IIIA base armor with main plates, side plates. No gaps.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

RonnyRonin

Re: Safelite Flexible Rifle Armor

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:44 pm

I've been curious about this as well; I'm always dubious when its an upstart company with flashy marketing rather then an industry giant trying new things like this, but I'll certainly be curious how it shakes out.

If I recall, dragonskin wasn't so much a flawed idea as a flawed execution, correct?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Didn't the Army use dragonskin?

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:28 pm

I think individual soldiers used it, until the Army banned privately-purchased armor, but the Army as a whole never did.

It seems there's some debate about the value and protection of Safe Lite armor. I gave up reading after a few comments, because frankly if I get into a situation where I need to get all tactical I'm pretty much boned already.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:03 am

I'm boned as well. I think others would agree w/being in that position. I really, really want some armor, but I have so many more things to do before getting armor.

Oh well. Prepper problems. :|

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:09 am

I've been curious about this company ever since I saw Edwin Sarkissian test one of their ceramic plate and vest combos on YouTube (yes, I know that his channel is just firearms/explosives entertainment, not serious testing). He shot it with a .50 BMG and it stopped the bullet, but there was so much energy transfer that the impact shattered a cinder block behind a piece of 2" wood that he was using as a backer. Not sure that the vest would really have done you much good against a .50...

If you want to watch his test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxyJRGxWN0k

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:25 pm

EBuff75 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:09 am
I've been curious about this company ever since I saw Edwin Sarkissian test one of their ceramic plate and vest combos on YouTube (yes, I know that his channel is just firearms/explosives entertainment, not serious testing). He shot it with a .50 BMG and it stopped the bullet, but there was so much energy transfer that the impact shattered a cinder block behind a piece of 2" wood that he was using as a backer. Not sure that the vest would really have done you much good against a .50...

You're kidding, right? Of course, it would do some good! No .50 hole in the body means it's not gonna leak all over the carpeting. :crazy:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:25 pm
EBuff75 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:09 am

You're kidding, right? Of course, it would do some good! No .50 hole in the body means it's not gonna leak all over the carpeting. :crazy:
That, and it would make for a corpse with fewer perforations! You'd still probably end up with your bellybutton hanging out of your back though... :D

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:02 pm

My memory of dragon skin was that it never really made it past some marketing videos and early field testing; I think the ballistic protection was fine but the individual scales would delaminate and not stay in place. Hot environments are not kind to glue, wet environments usually aren't either.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Don't know anything about it but it sure is pricey. You could buy 7 sets of Level III for one of those.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Other Gear”