Tactical bags that don't look like tactical bags?

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: Tactical bags that don't look like tactical bags?

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 pm

moo

moo moo moo you're welcome :awesome: :oh:

ETA The first one ( canvas one ) Those strap buckles are for show. It's held shut with magnets
Last edited by flybynight on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:48 pm

I find that buying leather on Amazon is like going to a fast food place. It is cheap, doesn't last long, never looks as good as the ad picture and you end up with regrets.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:48 pm
I find that buying leather on Amazon is like going to a fast food place. It is cheap, doesn't last long, never looks as good as the ad picture and you end up with regrets.
The only thing leather I ever bought on Amazon that turned out good. Was a $10 steering wheel cover. That's about all I would risk on leather. But I think that first backpack is actually waxed canvas. Which probably means heavy. If I had to choose I'd so go with the other one.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 pm

This is on sale at less than half price. And is sort of a combination of discreet tactical and normal backpack. It is made by 5.11 and is called "tactical". But it doesn't look that tactical to me. It has fabric molle just on the top. No place else. And comes in a subdued color. Or light blue. 5.11 makes bulletproof packs. I would highly recommend them. My RUSH 12 is the best backpack I've ever owned. But I don't know. May still be to tactical for you.

https://www.511tactical.com/havoc-30-ba ... 2823247897
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:46 pm
You might try Kelty Redwing packs on the used market. I think they used to come in subdued colors. And are a half assed combination of military pockets with civilian looks.

Maybe it's the sniper training I received in the Marine Corps. Or the simple cover, concealment and camouflage training I received as a Marine. But personally I don't think it's gonna matter what your backpack looks like. It's gonna be whether you have one or not. If you have one, no matter what it looks like, your going to be a target. Just like if you have a rifle you're going to be a target. Assuming you're talking about baddies trying to take your stuff.

This argument of always going gray man has never made sense to me. As if you don't have the stuff your going to die. And if you do have the stuff - you need a backpack to put it in - and if someone is going to try take it it's not going to matter whether it's in a civilian pack or a military one. Stuff a bad guy needs is going to run the gamut from water to food to ammo. Which you might find in anyone's civilian or military backpack. If I'm looking to steal from people. I'm going to simply try every person with a pack on. As those people prepared and have the stuff I need. I'm not going to be looking at packs and thinking "man that pack has MOLLE webbing! I'm going to avoid all these civilian packs and just hit the people with MOLLE webbing! As they are going to be the only ones with the stuff I need!". No. Anyone with a pack is going to be a target.

Your best bet is to remain hidden as much as possible. And have the means to defend yourself. Type of backpack isn't going to save you. But a bright color is going to stand out in any environment - so I applaud you on your choice of color. Camouflage or at least a subdued color is your friend. Unless you intend to stay in an urban environment. Which I would avoid. Nothing good happens in an urban environment in a disaster or a PAW. And trying to play greyman in the countryside is sort of worthless. I personally will be staying off of roads and even trails. And will remain hidden from 95% of the general population that has never had any military training.

But again, I understand and can deploy cover and concealment. Certainly while trying to get out of the city you don't want to wear camo fatigues and look like the military. I'd save those for when you get out of the city and into the countryside. And it doesn't have to be military camo. It can be civilian camo if that makes you feel more comfortable. I have civilian clothes to get me out of the city. And camo to blend in to a brush or woods environment. And light packable civilian gear for if I ever have to reenter a city.

If someone wants to take your stuff. They're just going to shoot you from a hidden place as you walk down the street or a wooded trail or road. Like from an ambush position. And you're going to walk right into. If I was you I'd get some training and learn how to move thru the countryside unseen as much as possible. It's a real eye opener as to what you can and can't do to keep from getting shot.

When I say "means of protecting yourself" I come back to the old axiom "don't bring a handgun if you can bring a rifle". And if you have a rifle there's no hiding that. So whatever backpack you choose doesn't matter anyway. Unless you conceal the long gun in a backpack. Which isn't very deployable. (Having said that - I can fit a full sized AK in my backpack with a strong folding stock. But that would only be to conceal it while in town or something. Or someplace I wanted to pass thru. That I felt safe enough to do so without a long gun. But that you don't want to advertise that you have one. A very finite situation. Think trying to get out of town during martial law. You might sneak out with your long gun in your backpack if necessary. Otherwise you're traveling by the cover of night. At which time I'd want a rifle at the ready anyway.)

If it's gotten so bad that people are out trying to steal your stuff. I'd want a rifle at the ready. Not in my pack. Or a trashbag that's gonna break open. Or a crusty old duffle bag you can't carry for very far. I say don whatever is going to carry your stuff. Move like a recon unit hi -dden as much as possible - and avoiding as much as possible. And if you run into people bad enough that they are going to try to steal your stuff. Be ready to avoid or engage. Otherwise you're just going to be a victim. As they're going to be robbing or killing anyone with a pack. It doesn't matter to them.

That's my two cents. I know you didn't ask for it. But... lol. :)
moab:

I have my eye on a Kelty Redwing 32. It's within my price range. I thought thehillpeople gear was :awesome:, price point - fuk.

Thank you moab & everyone for your posts. :D

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:05 pm

I agree with just about everything Moab stated, But I do want to point out that if you live near a military base. GI is probably more grey man than a Dora the explorer backpack. They are ubiquitous . My GHB is a surplus assault pack and packs like mine are literally everywhere in my AO.

That said I totally disagree with Stercutus. I never regret fast food :awesome:

John Titor was right

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 pm

flybynight wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:05 pm

Then you've never eaten at Checkers.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 pm
flybynight wrote:

Or eaten a Krystal, whatever the hell that is. I knew better than to eat something that looked like pus but I figured; "What could it hurt?"
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 pm
flybynight wrote:

Have too. Augusta Georgia, . Yum :awesome:

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Looks pretty tasty to me
https://krystal.com/menu/#combos

Perhaps you're not doing it right.

I always miss In N Out . But all summer long I been Jonseing for a Tommy burger. A double chili cheese to be exact, Oh man.... Hurt so good :awesome: :awesome:

https://originaltommys.com/our-menu

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Crap now I'm hungry

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Perhaps you're not doing it right.
The issue was more along the lines of it not doing me right.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:14 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm
moab wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:46 pm
You might try Kelty Redwing packs on the used market. I think they used to come in subdued colors. And are a half assed combination of military pockets with civilian looks.

Maybe it's the sniper training I received in the Marine Corps. Or the simple cover, concealment and camouflage training I received as a Marine. But personally I don't think it's gonna matter what your backpack looks like. It's gonna be whether you have one or not. If you have one, no matter what it looks like, your going to be a target. Just like if you have a rifle you're going to be a target. Assuming you're talking about baddies trying to take your stuff.

This argument of always going gray man has never made sense to me. As if you don't have the stuff your going to die. And if you do have the stuff - you need a backpack to put it in - and if someone is going to try take it it's not going to matter whether it's in a civilian pack or a military one. Stuff a bad guy needs is going to run the gamut from water to food to ammo. Which you might find in anyone's civilian or military backpack. If I'm looking to steal from people. I'm going to simply try every person with a pack on. As those people prepared and have the stuff I need. I'm not going to be looking at packs and thinking "man that pack has MOLLE webbing! I'm going to avoid all these civilian packs and just hit the people with MOLLE webbing! As they are going to be the only ones with the stuff I need!". No. Anyone with a pack is going to be a target.

Your best bet is to remain hidden as much as possible. And have the means to defend yourself. Type of backpack isn't going to save you. But a bright color is going to stand out in any environment - so I applaud you on your choice of color. Camouflage or at least a subdued color is your friend. Unless you intend to stay in an urban environment. Which I would avoid. Nothing good happens in an urban environment in a disaster or a PAW. And trying to play greyman in the countryside is sort of worthless. I personally will be staying off of roads and even trails. And will remain hidden from 95% of the general population that has never had any military training.

But again, I understand and can deploy cover and concealment. Certainly while trying to get out of the city you don't want to wear camo fatigues and look like the military. I'd save those for when you get out of the city and into the countryside. And it doesn't have to be military camo. It can be civilian camo if that makes you feel more comfortable. I have civilian clothes to get me out of the city. And camo to blend in to a brush or woods environment. And light packable civilian gear for if I ever have to reenter a city.

If someone wants to take your stuff. They're just going to shoot you from a hidden place as you walk down the street or a wooded trail or road. Like from an ambush position. And you're going to walk right into. If I was you I'd get some training and learn how to move thru the countryside unseen as much as possible. It's a real eye opener as to what you can and can't do to keep from getting shot.

When I say "means of protecting yourself" I come back to the old axiom "don't bring a handgun if you can bring a rifle". And if you have a rifle there's no hiding that. So whatever backpack you choose doesn't matter anyway. Unless you conceal the long gun in a backpack. Which isn't very deployable. (Having said that - I can fit a full sized AK in my backpack with a strong folding stock. But that would only be to conceal it while in town or something. Or someplace I wanted to pass thru. That I felt safe enough to do so without a long gun. But that you don't want to advertise that you have one. A very finite situation. Think trying to get out of town during martial law. You might sneak out with your long gun in your backpack if necessary. Otherwise you're traveling by the cover of night. At which time I'd want a rifle at the ready anyway.)

If it's gotten so bad that people are out trying to steal your stuff. I'd want a rifle at the ready. Not in my pack. Or a trashbag that's gonna break open. Or a crusty old duffle bag you can't carry for very far. I say don whatever is going to carry your stuff. Move like a recon unit hi -dden as much as possible - and avoiding as much as possible. And if you run into people bad enough that they are going to try to steal your stuff. Be ready to avoid or engage. Otherwise you're just going to be a victim. As they're going to be robbing or killing anyone with a pack. It doesn't matter to them.

That's my two cents. I know you didn't ask for it. But... lol. :)
moab:

I have my eye on a Kelty Redwing 32. It's within my price range. I thought thehillpeople gear was :awesome:, price point - fuk.

Thank you moab & everyone for your posts. :D
Ya. I'm not a huge fan of HPG packs. But to be honest I haven't looked at any new models in the last year or more. I've only purchased their chest rig or kit bag as they call it. They do have a cool wrap made out of poncho liner type material. But there's a better one on the market for a lot less made by a company I can't recall at the moment. If your interested ask and I'll look it up. It works like a jacket and a sleeping bag of sorts. And will fit under a rain proof poncho. Looks awesome for dry environments. Or winter.

Found it. here it is.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/po-s ... oncho.html

They also sell some nice packs. And clothing. All of their gear is priced very competitively. and they have large sizes. Something my 6'3" frame appreciates. I have several of their pieces of gear.

I forgot about their backpacks. These might be up everyone's alley for greyman. Subdued colors and many that aren't military. a large selection too. If you can't find it in stock on their website. Try to the web. Or military1st.com.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_usd/bags ... packs.html

Return to “Other Gear”