Headlight recommendations

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Headlight recommendations

Post by JackBauer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 pm

I tried sending this request to one of our more experienced admins, WW, but the message seems to be stuck queued in my outbox so I figure Id also ask for help from everyone ;)

I have several Petzl headlamps in the lower lumen ranges (40 thru 80 lumens) but want something more substantial. Principal uses working in dark construction spaces, HVAC inspections--above ceiling and inside OEM equipment, night hiking, getting to hunt spot before dawn etc.
I'm considering one of the Zebralight 600's as they are detachable and can be used as a manual flashlight plus the 18650's have suffiecient capacity to serve as a power bank separate or in parallel) to recharge a USB via an Xtar charger or Nitecore cord.

I've also been reviewing the posts on candlepower forums headlamps, but would love to hear opinions and recommendations here.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Headlight recommendations

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 pm

JackBauer wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 pm
I tried sending this request to one of our more experienced admins, WW, but the message seems to be stuck queued in my outbox so I figure Id also ask for help from everyone ;)

I have several Petzl headlamps in the lower lumen ranges (40 thru 80 lumens) but want something more substantial. Principal uses working in dark construction spaces, HVAC inspections--above ceiling and inside OEM equipment, night hiking, getting to hunt spot before dawn etc.
I'm considering one of the Zebralight 600's as they are detachable and can be used as a manual flashlight plus the 18650's have suffiecient capacity to serve as a power bank separate or in parallel) to recharge a USB via an Xtar charger or Nitecore cord.

I've also been reviewing the posts on candlepower forums headlamps, but would love to hear opinions and recommendations here.
I St. Minimus. I strongly recommend it. I bought 2 several years ago from J. Bezos inc. Expensive. Worth the money.

Never cheap out on critical gear.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:25 am

I have two 18650 headlamps, an Armytek Wizard Pro V2 Warm and an Olight H2R. Haven't actually used the Olight as a headlamp yet, but wow is it powerful! The Armytek is no slouch, but it's something like 800 lumens compared to 2300 in the Olight. I've had the Armytek for about four years and I've used it many times when working outside at night or when working on a vehicle.

Armytek pros: warm color; strong magnet in base so it can stick to a vehicle or ductwork, etc.; if you don't like the magnet you can take it out of the base of the light
Armytek cons: pain to get in/out of the rubber holder for the headband; rubber holder has lost some grip over time and now the headlamp can rotate within it too easily

Olight pros: bright! uses a magnetic base to attach to straps for headlight, which makes it very easy to get in/out; magnetic charging base makes it easy to recharge
Olight cons: proprietary 18650 battery; battery installs "backwards" (positive end toward the base) due to design of in-light charging system.

Both of them have multiple modes, but the Armytek has more to choose from. It also feels a bit sturdier, but the matte finish on it shows marks much more easily. They are both very floody beams, but the Olight is narrower with less spill to the sides.

I prefer the side-of-head switch on the Armytek. You can pinch the light between your thumb and index finger to activate it, without moving the light around, both when it's in your hand or when you're wearing it. When you're just holding the Olight as a flashlight, it's easy enough put your index finger on the end of the flashlight to press the button. But the switch is heavy enough that when you're wearing it, you almost have to use both hands - one to hold the light in place and the other to push in on the end to turn on/off or change modes.

All the other headlamps that I have are the much cheaper variety (various no-name Chinese ones that I toss into first aid kits, or as spares in cars and such), plus some much older AA-style ones which are huge and dim when compared to the newer LED lights.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks Guys!
The Army Tek Wizard is looking like a winner.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 pm

JackBauer wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm
Thanks Guys!
The Army Tek Wizard is looking like a winner.
I found a headlamp to be indispensable the first time I used one.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:45 pm

BTW, I can't speak to the Zebralight headlamps, but my EDC light is a Zebralight SC600 MkIII in neutral white which I absolutely love! Fairly compact (for an 18650 light) and very bright - around 1300 lumen. I'm seriously tempted by the SC600 Mk IV+ which puts out an even more impressive 2300 lumen, but I also admit to having a bit of a flashlight addiction...

Full disclosure, I did have a failure when it was about 2 years old; completely dead one day with no warning. I sent it to ZL for an out of warranty repair and for $15 they fixed it. Took several months, but the replacement light (they just ship you back one of the same model - not your original light) has been working fine now for the past 6 months. Mine was an early production model and I can see where the one they sent me is slightly different (5 pogos inside, instead of 4 like my original one had).

You might also want to look at Fenix. I don't have any of their headlamps, but I do have a half-dozen of their lights and they've all been absolutely bulletproof. Until I switched to the Zebralight, my EDC was an old Fenix L1D Q5 Premium, which put out a whopping 107 lumen on turbo! Carried it daily for about 8 years and the only way you can tell is from the patina. Thing still works just like new! Nice crisp switch, easy to change modes, not a scratch on the lens. I have a Fenix PD35 on the desk next to me right now and a number of small keychain type lights from them which I put into various bags. Never so much as a hiccup from any of them. I am careful with everything that I own, so none of these have ever really been abused, but I don't coddle them either.

Good luck! Flashlights / headlamps is a deep, deep rabbit hole to fall into. I've spent 10 or 12 years there and probably have many decades ahead of me! :D

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Thanks again. Yes I like the several Fenix flashlights I have, the only issue is the Fenix headlamp HLR60 doesn't easily double as a hand flashlight.

Friend and I are going to hit tent and trails outdoor store in Manhattan next week to try some hands on with some zebras and armytek.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Ug, tent and trails closed..sigh
Paragon sports scaled down their pro headlamp section..sigh

Found WoodWalkers review on the Armytek Pro V3
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... se-review yeah!

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:05 pm

I have a two of the Fenix HL23 headlamps. One in was passes for a first aid kit and the other for general household chores. I can't say it is the best available; only that it is the best I've used so far.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 am

After much painstaking reviews and feedback I settled on the Zebralight H600Fc. Great light. At first I thought the described interface would be a bit much but I like it.
I'll update when I get some usage on it.
https://imgur.com/gallery/nfChLxf

gary83

Post by gary83 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:55 pm

I have a Nitecore HC33, and it is pretty bright.

Return to “Other Gear”