Soliciting opinions on Honda generators

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Soliciting opinions on Honda generators

Post by Zembecowicz » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:41 pm

A friend of mine inherited a Honda EU1000 generator that he has no need for, and is offering to sell it to me at a pretty steep discount. It doesn't put out enough juice to meet all of my needs, but it is much better than nothing and he doesn't want much for it. The other Honda products that I've used have been very well made. Are their generators as good?

southalabama

Re: Soliciting opinions on Honda generators

Post by southalabama » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:44 am

Simple answer. Yes.

If your getting a deal. Get it.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:46 am

get it, the cool thing is (if i remember correctly) you can run them in parallel (conditions apply)

even if it doesn't do everything you need, having a small portable generator is still a good thing
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

solarguy

Post by solarguy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:59 am

It's an inverter generator. That gives you several excellent features:

1. The engine does not have to run at full rpm all the time, which leads to:

2. Very low noise levels...for a generator.

3. Well above average fuel economy per kilowatthour delivered

4. Longer life

5. The inverter is "smart" and allows for multiple generators to be operated in parallel to up your capacity as needed, like so:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generat ... capability

The new/retail price on those is close to a thousand bucks. Go snoop around on ebay to decide if it's really a deal or not.

TL/DR Yes, buy it if it's a deal

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:36 pm

I picked the thing up day before yesterday. It looks practically new and fires right up. I'm going to drain the gasoline and change the oil this weekend.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:02 pm

I've got the eu2000 and the thing is bullet proof. Had it for a couple years now and other than cleaning the air filter and a bit of bad gas that got put into it the thing starts first pull everytime. There are more powerful generators for sure, however for just a some emergency lighting and camping. It's an amazing generator.

Congrats
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Neville

Post by Neville » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:19 am

I have a pair of the 2000 w units. They are good units if you keep up the maintenance.

I do run the tandem kit for AC in my travel trailer. This system works very well.

The last run of the season, tank up with treated fuel (Sta-bil or Pri-G) and run it dry. Do a 1 hour test run every 6 months when not in use. I usually do them around daylight savings time changes along with smoke detector batteries. A space heater makes an excellent dummy load.

These generators, because of the inverter, do a very good job with sensitive electronics such as computer and audio/video equipment. They're not silent, but the sound is bearable.

Return to “Other Gear”