Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Post by Sun Yeti » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:48 pm

I came to the realization lately that I could be scavenging ruins, living on acorns and elm samaras and berries and the occasional squirrel, but if I had to do that on a full beard, I might very well lose the last threads of my sanity and go on a mad max style rampage through the post-apocalyptic world in a desperate search for fresh razorblades. My facial hair doesn't grow that fast and I only shave about once a week, but give it three weeks without and I would be ready to peel the flesh from my face.

Accordingly, I purchased 100 Feather brand DE razorblades. I was shaving with them already, but I didn't have that many since I don't go through them very fast. Then my cheap Merkeur DE razor broke, and I bought a Feather brand all stainless steel DE razor for like $150. That's a lot of money for me, but I figured I should have a razor that would last as long as my blade stockpile. Also, I will admit it's super nice to shave with, so even if the world never ends I will definitely enjoy it.

At the end of the day though, I realized I had dropped almost $200 for about 30 years worth of shaving supplies at my present rate of consumption. That's more than I spend on my very nice camping backpack/bug out bag. But, I stand by the decision. I have traveled the third word, dealing with strange food, odd hours/not enough eating and sleeping, diarrhea, sponge baths as the only way to get clean, being wet and miserable in the middle of nowhere, waiting for hours or days for travel arrangements with nothing to do. And, I came through all that, but if I hadn't had a razor when I wanted one it would have been BAD.

I've been learning to strop/sharpen knives, and I am also hoping to work my way up to it so that in a pinch, I could re-sharpen my old blades if I had to...

I think it's probably good to realize any things we just can't live without, and I am now thinking about what else I might need to stockpile. What are your weird preps along the same lines?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Odd Preps: The things you can't live without

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:57 pm

A post-apocalyptic life without Q-tips isn't a life worth living. Just sayin'.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:26 pm

majorhavoc wrote:A post-apocalyptic life without Q-tips isn't a life worth living. Just sayin'.
Agree. And the baby swab (foam-type) variety are a near perfect .38/.357 caliber for convenient revolver cleaning too.

In keeping with the personal hygiene theme so far, listerine (original) for gargling. Wouldn't make the weight/size cut for a bugout bag but I stock it pretty deep for home use. Mouth just doesn't feel clean without it.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 am

Toenail clippers, dental floss and an eyelash curler.
The first two are likely obvious, but I have very long straight lashes that can get in the way of my vision (like having your bangs too long) if not curled.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:02 am

I haven't narrowed it down yet but one of my books that is not apoc/post-apoc, survival related, or my Bible. I would totally need an escape book to take my mind off of my situation at least for awhile. Books have always been a survival tool for me.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

CK14

Post by CK14 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 am

I often try to think of places I can stash more TP. Like, do we really need this whole closet for clothes? Or, does this kid really need his own room? He can share with his two sisters, right?

And toe/finger nail clippers without a doubt.
Pee when you can, eat when you can.

TwistedSense

Post by TwistedSense » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:53 am

Now you guys got me adding nail clippers to my bag. Never realized until now I'd miss them.
I don't care what you think of me. Unless you think I am awesome. In which case, you are right.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:52 am

I've got nail clippers in the vanity, the backpack I carry around for everyday use, and in my bug out supplies...

I also have probably a lifetime supply of those flossing heads you can clip onto a flosser thing like a toothbrush, but that was more because the minimum quantity to buy online was like 300 of them.

Got a small apartment, and my wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to 'hoard' toilet paper, but hey, it's going to get used eventually one way or the other. Not like we're going to wake up some day and decide we're tired of it :)

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:26 pm

I've got a small stockpile of bits and pieces(including those nail clippers already mentioned) but i'm not expecting it to last forever, at some point everything will be used up or broken, my main thing at the moment is gathering more skills and knowledge for when such a time arrives, to that end I have just booked myself onto a green woodworking course not far from here.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Are you planning to whittle yourself up some new nail clippers?

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:40 pm

I don't think i'll bother answering that one.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:17 pm

grumpyviking wrote:I've got a small stockpile of bits and pieces(including those nail clippers already mentioned) but i'm not expecting it to last forever, at some point everything will be used up or broken, my main thing at the moment is gathering more skills and knowledge for when such a time arrives, to that end I have just booked myself onto a green woodworking course not far from here.
That went off topic of the original question, which was
"I am now thinking about what else I might need to stockpile. What are your weird preps along the same lines?"
Do you have an answer to share along those lines?

Believe me, coming from nothing, it's the little things one doesn't think much about these days that make a big difference.
Tweezers, toenail clippers, dental floss, sunscreen, lip balm ...
When I was a kid most of that stuff wasn't around, or if it was it was only for the rich people.
We had a big and a little pair of tweezers, maybe 3 toenail clippers (for a family of 7 plus whoever was living with us at the time). You needed one you asked our mother and she got it out of the box, stood there until you finished using it and put it back in the box.
Dental floss, lip balm & sunscreen? Never even saw them until I was a teenager, and am still dealing with early lack of them to this day.
(The lip balm they make today often has a sun protection in it. Buy that kind. Really.)
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:19 pm

Yes, I have some really nice tweezers in the medicine cabinet, and I am thinking I should maybe get a few more pairs, as I use them often. I probably wouldn't go crazy without them though, and every little widget adds weight to the bug out bag, so I'm kind of on the fence.

Lip balm is also something that I use a lot, especially in the winter. I don't think it would last more than a few years though, and I could always use some other kind of wax or oil, so I don't know that I want to stack those up. Why is the sunscreen bit important?

In traveling, I have definitely noticed that most every seasoned traveler has some small 'luxuries', toiletries and other items that they carry for sanity. On one trip to India, I brought my own flask of maple syrup. People laughed, but it made pancake-type fried whatever breakfasts a treat. At that time also, toilet paper was by and large unavailable in India, so every western traveler had a jealously guarded stash in their luggage. "Borrow 50 rupees? No problem. Use some of my toilet paper? Well maybe, what have you done for me lately?"

I think a disaster/post-apocalyptic world is likely to be a similar atmosphere is that your are plucked out of your comfort zone and some little luxuries will really help keep you sane, so that's what I'm going for if it wasn't clear from previous posts.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:Lip balm is also something that I use a lot, especially in the winter. I don't think it would last more than a few years though, and I could always use some other kind of wax or oil, so I don't know that I want to stack those up. Why is the sunscreen bit important?
Skin cancer.
It looks a little weird after they chop part of your lip out.
-

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 am

ZombieGranny wrote: That went off topic of the original question, which was
"I am now thinking about what else I might need to stockpile. What are your weird preps along the same lines?"
I suppose things like nail clippers, toothbrushes, gas cylinders, hand tools both old and new, but most of this stuff wont last long, anybody got any ideas what they will do when all this stuff has worn out? or are you all just talking "short term" events?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 am

grumpyviking wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote: That went off topic of the original question, which was
I suppose things like nail clippers, toothbrushes, gas cylinders, hand tools both old and new, but most of this stuff wont last long, anybody got any ideas what they will do when all this stuff has worn out? or are you all just talking "short term" events?
Package Delivery. Not a metaphor. The one thing I can't do without.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:38 am

Sun Yeti wrote:I also have probably a lifetime supply of those flossing heads you can clip onto a flosser thing like a toothbrush, but that was more because the minimum quantity to buy online was like 300 of them.
Only 300?!?! Pffff...neophyte :lol: But seriously, those things are the only way I can properly get my floss on, I've taken them on camping trips and overseas.

Yeah and like you, I can get away with shaving once a week, were it not for my current work environment I probably would too, so yes razor blades are one of those 90 day + preps for me...just cuz I do not feel like learning to shave with one of my knives.

While on the subject of grooming, yes nail clippers galore -they are cheap enough- and b/c my toenails have tend to behave more like hooves, I have a couple of dedicated 'industrial strength' clippers for that.

Oh and tweezers...as I've gotten older and hair seems to become ever lazier so that rather than making it to the top of my head it quits at some random point before there I am getting more and more annoyed by old-man brows, nose hairs (plucking a couple those suckers is a good stand in for lack of caffeine as far as getting you clear headed in a hurry is concerned :shock: ) and ear hair. So yeah, got a 4 pack of La Cross brand tweezers from my local pharmacy much to Mrs. Slappy's amusement.

I swear it is not vanity, just the sensation of those untoward hairs drives me batty.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Package Delivery. Not a metaphor. The one thing I can't do without.
that got lost in transation, I haven't got a clue what you are referring to.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:20 pm

On the brief subject of durability of certain items, I've been using the same pair of tweezers and nail clippers for almost ten years now. They're not quite as grippy or as sharp as they were, but a minute or two with a file will fix that.

Back on topic, I keep a bag of those little floss sticks in my BOB along with a pair of tweezers and a nice set of nail clippers. I've tried to cut my nails with a knife (and have gotten pretty good at it), but actual nail clippers work a lot better. I hate when I bend back my nails. :gonk:

Neville

Post by Neville » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:05 pm

From a psychological point of view, one thing I have a hard time living without is a clock. I find I feel really adrift and losing track of time if I don't have a handy reference available.

I spent 3 weeks this past summer living in a travel trailer that I have converted to solar power. It was for a machine shop class I was taking, so I was not wearing a watch (too dangerous around the machinery). If I wasn't looking at my tablet my only option was to dig my phone out of my pocket. Plus I frequently found myself in low light where I wouldn't have been able to read a regular watch or battery clock.

So, I've been on the lookout for ideas for a clock for the trailer and this one finally gelled for me. A battery clock seems like a waste of batteries, and an outlet-plugin clock seemed like a trivial load to run the on-board inverter for, full time - and I don't want to have to reset the clock every time I take a trip. I try to keep things as low-overhead "never think about it" as possible. So I didn't want to have to change batteries or constantly reset the clock. I want to set it, then forget it, except for the DST reset twice a year.

Earlier this year, I converted the trailer to operate primarily off solar power. I figured if I put my mind to it, I could find a way to utilize that on-board power to run a LED clock of some kind so that it could be powered full time without AA's or having to crank up the inverter. As it turns out... I figured right!

A couple of Saturdays ago I was in the local hardware store on a completely unrelated errand, when I found myself in front of the clock section. I was reminded of how nice it would be to have one for the trailer, but sighed over the fact that I didn't like battery, and I didn't like outlet. Glancing to the right, I noticed they had clock-radios, the LED face kind. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those, I thought, but since they produce light 24/7 they probably all plug into the wall. But then a thought occured to me... what if I could find one that used a wall wart to produce <= 12v power? If so, I could step down the voltage a bit and be good to go right off the trailer's built-in 12v solar battery system. Eureka! I had to open about five boxes before I found it, a GPX C253B with a wall wart that produced 5v power.

http://www.amazon.com/GPX-C253B-Alarm-C ... =gpx+c253b

I figured conversion to 5v would probably be pretty easy but then it smacked me upside the head like a ton of bricks - 5v DC is what USB sockets produce. A quick search on Amazon turned up this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00904 ... ge_o00_s00

Now, I can plug this clock radio in anywhere I have a USB socket. Which makes it portable all through the trailer with the use of a 12v cig lighter to USB adapter (sold practically everywhere). Of course I had to take it to the next level... why not just build a multi-socket charging station for phones, cameras etc while I'm at it?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7 ... L1000_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3M ... ge_o02_s00

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... L1000_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFE ... ge_o01_s00

The voltage converter can supply up to 10 amps so I'm confident I'll never over-tax it, no matter how many devices are plugged in. USB 2.0 standard allows 500 miliamps per socket so at most that comes out to 3.5 amps. The caveat here is that these are not "quick charge" sockets that can produce up to 2.4 amps so if that's what you're used to, this will seem slow by comparison, taking about 4-5 times as long. That's ok for my purpose, if I need something charged quicker, I can turn on the inverter and use a wall-outlet charger.

So, out of this little experiment, I not only got a full-time, lighted clock, but made it portable instead of hard-wired, and got a radio and charging station in the bargain. Not too shabby.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:18 am

I always have a chuckle when I read about people who cannot function without some form of timepiece, post SHTF its not like we'll be punching a time clock or filling out time sheets is it, any job will take as long as it takes time will be irrelevant.
if people cannot function without a watch what else wont they be able to live without WTSHTF?
as far as stockpile's go, I think a lot of this is only maintaining the "consumer society", a small store of non food items is ok for short term events until everything gets back to normal, but what if it dosent? what if the new "normal" is like nothing that you have ever known before? stuff always wears out and if manufacturing is non existent anymore if you rely on obtaining stuff to survive then how will you manage that?
seems to me we all have two choices, either learn to repair/make new ones( not many people can do that these days in our "disposable" society) or learn to live without them

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:36 am

You should start a thread with everything you want to complain about. Title it "Grumpy Viking Complains About Everything" that way everyone will know where to look when they want to see it. Complaining in every thread about everything is a wasted effort.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:17 am

Not to mention how old clocks are, the division of days into segments so we can measure time and agree meeting predates writing, our current time divisions are still based off the ones invented in ancient mesepotamia.

Wanting a clock is not a weird habit, although knowing how to make a sundial is a good skill.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:19 am

i'm not complaining, I just reckon if someone CANT live without something then they wont survive anything except a short term event, just trying to get a discussion going, but if ya'll don't want to do that i'll bugger off and go somewhere where they will.

Return to “Other Gear”