Pavement pounders

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Pavement pounders

Post by Close_enough » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Long distances, on pavement, with a light load (<20 lbs). I've got good off trail backpacking boots, but there's no padding in them. Any decent time on pavement and nothing below my kidneys is happy. To date, I've found that cross trainers, having a little more support then walking shoes, are the best. But, there's no ankle protection which means one misstep off the curb and that's that.

So, light hikers (some ankle protection, but the lower is still flexible enough for the pavement), service shoes (like the letter carriers or cops wear), high top shoes/chukka boots intended for pavement, or ???

FYI, my knees are already toast (which is the reason I'm walking and not bicycling), and my feet are flatter then Kansas.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Pavement pounders

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:49 pm

If it's really on pavement (or level surfaces) and it's really just 20 lbs or less, I see no reason why you shouldn't strongly consider trail shoes; basically ruggedized running/walking shoes. Hell, a pair of well cushioned regular walking/running shoes might be even better.

I have this pair by Avia and man, have I put some serious miles on them.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:18 pm

You're going to need shoes with good arch support. Merrell, Keen, Birkenstock, Naot, and the like. Failing that, get some good insoles. I highly recommend Superfeet. They come in different degrees of support depending on your feet and the kind of walking/standing you do. Staff at REI or a Walking Company store should be able to advise you. I have toasted knees and flat feet, too.

Sent via carrier wave
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Close_enough wrote:Long distances, on pavement, with a light load (<20 lbs). I've got good off trail backpacking boots, but there's no padding in them. Any decent time on pavement and nothing below my kidneys is happy. To date, I've found that cross trainers, having a little more support then walking shoes, are the best. But, there's no ankle protection which means one misstep off the curb and that's that.

So, light hikers (some ankle protection, but the lower is still flexible enough for the pavement), service shoes (like the letter carriers or cops wear), high top shoes/chukka boots intended for pavement, or ???

FYI, my knees are already toast (which is the reason I'm walking and not bicycling), and my feet are flatter then Kansas.
I moved away from ankle protection within the last year going for Merrell trail shoes. My running shoes also have no ankle protection and just ran 5.25 miles tonight. That said I just picked up a pair of Keens that go over the ankle for something between full winter boots and trail shoes once the bad weather starts moving in.

At first I thought no ankle support would be an issue but after trail jogging 30-40 miles a week some of which is over pavement as the trails link up it turned out to be a good move. Here is something. As my resting heart rate dropped from the high 80's/low 90's to 60 my foot issues vanished. I didn't need extra insoles etc etc etc any more. I would go with waterproof, breathable trail shoes.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:33 pm

As a comparison of an idea.

Rainforest hiking shoes that are just five dollar rubber things.
http://www.my-rainforest-adventures.com ... ngle-shoe/

raider502

Post by raider502 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 pm

I recommend merrells or keens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:09 pm

There are several "boots" on the market that are more high-top trail runners then boots, but I agree that at low weights low-tops shouldn't worry you too much.

Most anything by Salomon is built on a running-shoe chassis:

http://www.salomon.com/us/sports/hiking ... As6V8P8HAQ

4d Quests aren't much more durable then your typical running shoe but they are my go-too boots, the Pro Mid and Ultra Mid are more like high-top trail runners.

While a little silly looking, if you are trying to avoid foot fatigue "maximalist" shoes do have their fans. Hoka makes two hi-top models, I think they feel like walking around on flat tires but they are pretty stable for how tall they are:

http://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-trail/to ... color=BANT

http://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-trail/to ... color=BFLM
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:45 pm

There are quite a few work shoes that are suitable for walking.

They are generally made to be used on concrete floors and paved surfaces(good dampening and arch support), they are usually very good quality(will last for a decade+ with some minor regular care) and the production numbers means that you would be hard pressed to get better quality for less(same holds true for most things meant for/made for commercial or industrial use).

There are more than a few that look like and would be mistaken for army boots(albeit much more comfortable) when the ankle and up is covered by pants and some that just look like regular high quality shoes.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Return to “Other Gear”