Allright Zombie Squad, I need help! (Stove)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

yggdrasil45

Allright Zombie Squad, I need help! (Stove)

Post by yggdrasil45 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:10 pm

All right now, I have 3 multi fuel liquid stoves. One XGK MSR that is older than I am. One Brunton Vapor. (Both of those are remote fuel) and 1 cheap Chinese built in burner sits on top of fuel like the the Coleman style. I also have 2 isobutene stoves. So any of these is not really what I am looking for. Please do not say "I have an MSR Pocket Rocket and love it." Or "why don't you just use the XGK?" That's not what I am asking for.

What I need is a remote fuel white gas stove. I already have multifuel stoves and what I need right now is the smallest lightest white gas and white gas only stove. I need one stove that does one thing very well. My XGK doesn't fit in my cookpot because the fuel line does not bend. Again small and light. I am open to options that come from china as well. As long as it runs good and is light. It needs to fit in a Yugo Mess kit, without the canteen inside of course.

Help me Zombie Squad, your my only hope.
The Great World Tree Yggdrasil Trembles too its Roots

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Allright Zombie Squad, I need help! (Stove)

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:07 am

Have you considered the Whisperlite.

I had the original which only took whitegas. That got stolen from my truck so went with the international which is multi fuel. It's no larger.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:34 pm

I second the whisperlite. I've had the same one for almost 20 years, efficient, light, quiet.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:37 pm

Though I have very little experience with it so far, the Whisperlite is one of the top selling stoves on the market and was my choice for a colder weather stove to replace my iso fuel users. I haven't been able to test it in cold weather yet, but I'm hoping I do soon!
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:10 am

I've had mine out in as cold as we get around here it was around 10 degrees..... Worked like a champ.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I don't recall many white gas stoves that have problems in cold weather, maybe a little preheating is needed, but once burning they tend to happily churn out BTUs. Compressed Gas and Alcohol stoves are another matter.
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

Denis J.

Post by Denis J. » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 pm

From what I've seen of it, I'm honestly not sure there is a white gas stove that will fit in something like the Yugo mess kit.

Assuming you are looking at white gas for winter use, the most compact winter stove I've heard of is the Kovea Spider (here's a great review). This is a remote canister stove, not white gas, but it can be operated in liquid feed mode (inverted canister) which pushes its operational temperature fairly low (-18C / 0F). Not sure if that would fit your needs or not.

I was considering the Spider, figuring it would fit in my existing pot set (GSI Soloist), but in the end I decided to go with the white gas Whisperlite and a larger pot. For me the larger pot made sense since winter also equals melting snow for water.
Victory awaits him who has everything in order — luck, people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck. Roald Amundsen

yggdrasil45

Post by yggdrasil45 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm actually pretty sure that some stoves would fit in the Yugo Mess kit. My Brunton Vapor AF fits but it's heavy. Although it works on a variety of fuel I feel it doesn't work on any better than a dedicated white gas stove. Can someone take measurements of the whisperlite and pump in a stuff sack? It might be my stove of choice? Also has anyone used any fire maple stoves?
The Great World Tree Yggdrasil Trembles too its Roots

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:25 am

yggdrasil45 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys! I'm actually pretty sure that some stoves would fit in the Yugo Mess kit. My Brunton Vapor AF fits but it's heavy. Although it works on a variety of fuel I feel it doesn't work on any better than a dedicated white gas stove. Can someone take measurements of the whisperlite and pump in a stuff sack? It might be my stove of choice? Also has anyone used any fire maple stoves?
The pump is really part of the fuel canister though could be separated but not sure why anyone would do that. I will sniff around for mine and take some measurements for you. Might take a few days as have it packed away. I only use it for winter and changing over my kit now.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:15 am

Check out the Korea spider stove review claims it fits in unknown cook pot.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:00 pm

If you get the whisperlight, MAKE SURE that you get one with the cleaning needle. I dont recall when they started making them with those, but I had one without it, and it clogged up a few times. Other than that issue though, it is a completely bombproof stove.

Edit: I think the international model has the integrated jet cleaning needle.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Return to “Other Gear”