Thumb-break vs. Military closed top holsters

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DoctorCandelario

Thumb-break vs. Military closed top holsters

Post by DoctorCandelario » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Hello guys. It's been a long time.

What holster for your handguns would you guys use in a general survival mess? To narrow it up, excluding concealed carry.

Would you use thumb-break holsters or closed top holsters when going around in the woods, badlands and unfriendly enviroments? I know everything depends on the situation, but I'd like to know your general imput.

Greetings!

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: Thumb-break vs. Military closed top holsters

Post by AS556 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:58 pm

I prefer open top holsters, ideally with some type of retention. I really like the thumbdrive style holsters Safariland and Galco make, but a Blackhawk Serpa is another option provided you understand the risks associated with a holster that retains the gun on the triggerguard and requires you to release the pistol with your trigger finger. Bladetech makes some good, cheap OWB holsters as well. I found one for a Sig 229R at a local shop for $15.

What gun are you looking to carry?

Between the two I'd take a thumb break over the old top flap. IIRC the reason those old flap holsters were designed that way was to keep dirt out of the hammer's path on 1911s. That could just be conjecture, however.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:18 pm

^^^ what AS556 says,
Zombies don't ski.

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Well, any pistol applies. Although my particular case involves a Browning HP.

Thumb-break is what I use mostly when training, most of the time I carry a (very) concealed weapon in a very discrete holster. But speaking about really open conditions, game is different. I own a very nice Bianchi hip holster with good retention and easy draw, which would be my primary option. But considering how dirty things can get, I gave thought to an old style top-flap one.

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:34 am

I've grown quite fond of my Blackhawk Serpa duty holster. It's not perfect, but it's light years better than the Safariland 200 I was using.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:59 pm

DoctorCandelario wrote: What holster for your handguns would you guys use in a general survival mess? To narrow it up, excluding concealed carry.
Truthfully, after watching the Spike Lee documentary about New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and how somebody was randomly shot with a shotgun during the period of lawlessness? I would still carry my pistols concealed. No reason to make the things on my hips the obvious prize for somebody to take me out from concealment.

Just my two cents,
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:
DoctorCandelario wrote: What holster for your handguns would you guys use in a general survival mess? To narrow it up, excluding concealed carry.
Truthfully, after watching the Spike Lee documentary about New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and how somebody was randomly shot with a shotgun during the period of lawlessness? I would still carry my pistols concealed. No reason to make the things on my hips the obvious prize for somebody to take me out from concealment.

Just my two cents,
-Neptune
Hello!

Precisely, I said "excluding concealed carry" but I failed to elaborate in saying that im speaking in an already "open" scenario, like, a civil conflict, outright open combat. Sorry for not being specific.

And, I agree with you. I wouldn't be showing off anything either, specially when there is absolutely no need to make yourself a target.

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Unluckily for me, where I live is imposible to find the good top flap holsters OR good holsters all around (like the BH Serpa), so Im doing away with a cheap local model. Im thinking on substituting that wire for some paracord. These are my holsters (externals only, im not including my CCW ones).

What I love most from the holster on the left is that it rides low on my hip, so its comfy with body armor. The one on the right, the one inspiring this thread doesn't ride very high or low either, but is bulky. Draw is obviously a lot slower than with the thumb break, but the pistol looks quite shielded for long rides.

The only thing that I am sure about is that I hate thigh holsters of any kind. I own one and whenever I use it for training, I use it the highest way possible on my thigh!

Last edited by DoctorCandelario on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for clarifying! I'd offer a suggestion, but I'm a complete novice at open carry.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm

If you can't find one locally, order one. FYI, no one in the military who has any choice (meaning, anyone except a few garrison duty officers) is still using a flap holster. Most are issued real holsters. I was actually forced to use a flap holster as part of my response gear when I was with the Marine Corps Embassy Security Group; best day of my life when we finally switched to real holsters; specifically these (http://www.safariland.com/drop-rig/mode ... 9858B.html), which are excellent. There is no good reason to use a flap holster at this point; they are slow, offer little real retention and don't really offer any meaningful additional protection for the gun. Your pistol can get wet in the rain, it won't hurt it.

Safariland is the answer when the question is holster. There are other good holsters out there, but Safariland is the industry standard for a reason. http://www.safariland.com/holsters/duty-holsters/, http://www.safariland.com/holsters/tact ... -holsters/. I'm a big fan of the basic 6280: https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1068.php.

There are good reasons to avoid thigh holsters, if your gear allows you to do so I recommend it.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:18 pm

Always heard good things about Safariland. This is not the answer that is asked for, when I hunt with rifle or bow, I use a shoulder rig (a alternative suggestion?). I am not a big fan of the flap holsters except for memorabilia. When I am riding my quad, I prefer a cross draw. There was a big debate about cross draws. I would say, in the vehicle you will ride, find out what works best for you.
Zombies don't ski.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:40 pm

DoctorCandelario wrote:But considering how dirty things can get, I gave thought to an old style top-flap one.
Well, when I'm out on the lawn tractor or bush hog, I use a Wilderness Safepacker......just to keep from having eight layers of dust & dirt building-up on my pistol. :rofl:

http://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker ... t-holster/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:49 pm

RickOShea wrote: Well, when I'm out on the lawn tractor or bush hog, I use a Wilderness Safepacker......just to keep from having eight layers of dust & dirt building-up on my pistol. :rofl:

On recommendation from a friend, I bought a safepacker. He used it every day for CCW. It worked very well for him but I never got the hang of it. It seemed rather bulky for CCW or unusual. I never thought to use it as you have. Thanks for the idea. I prefer a shoulder rig. On wet and dusty days, I can wear a jacket over it.
Zombies don't ski.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 pm

I've set up a Bianchi UM84II holster with a thumb break addon. When I carried an M4 for UN or Fleet week details I used a Safariland thigh rig with a flap.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:33 am

Here its shown installed. The flap is removable if you don't want it.

The double mag pouch that goes with this will fit a Mini-14 20 round mag if you remove the inserts. Should fit an AR-15 20 round mag as well.

The Bianchi UM84/M12/M92 holster system also comes as a revolver holster. With a small mod it will fit up to an N frame 4 inch.

All versions can be switched between left and right hand orientations.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:48 pm

RickOShea wrote:
DoctorCandelario wrote:But considering how dirty things can get, I gave thought to an old style top-flap one.
Well, when I'm out on the lawn tractor or bush hog, I use a Wilderness Safepacker......just to keep from having eight layers of dust & dirt building-up on my pistol. :rofl:

^^^QFT ^^^

When I am walking the woods or marsh I prefer a full flap holster. When I am CCW'ing I prefer a thumb break.

Buy both types for the same reason that you have more than one pair of shoes.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-88-9-2000- ... lster.aspx

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-69-9-2-thu ... rrels.aspx

DoctorCandelario

Post by DoctorCandelario » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:19 pm

TDW586 wrote:If you can't find one locally, order one. FYI, no one in the military who has any choice (meaning, anyone except a few garrison duty officers) is still using a flap holster. Most are issued real holsters. I was actually forced to use a flap holster as part of my response gear when I was with the Marine Corps Embassy Security Group; best day of my life when we finally switched to real holsters; specifically these (http://www.safariland.com/drop-rig/mode ... 9858B.html), which are excellent. There is no good reason to use a flap holster at this point; they are slow, offer little real retention and don't really offer any meaningful additional protection for the gun. Your pistol can get wet in the rain, it won't hurt it.

Safariland is the answer when the question is holster. There are other good holsters out there, but Safariland is the industry standard for a reason. http://www.safariland.com/holsters/duty-holsters/, http://www.safariland.com/holsters/tact ... -holsters/. I'm a big fan of the basic 6280: https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum1068.php.

There are good reasons to avoid thigh holsters, if your gear allows you to do so I recommend it.
I avoid them very much (thigh holsters). Thank you very much for your imput and sugestions! I was looking forward to this answer.
jor-el wrote:I've set up a Bianchi UM84II holster with a thumb break addon. When I carried an M4 for UN or Fleet week details I used a Safariland thigh rig with a flap.
That's a very nice setup!!!

ashwednesday
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead

Post by ashwednesday » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:09 pm

"Flawlessly". Every time I see this word in a thread, I brace myself for bullshit. Around half the time I end up feeling vindicated.

Return to “Other Gear”